IGNORED

130XE Bad GTIA -- How to fix it?

Blues76

I notice that B&C sells Atari 130XE with BAD GTIA

Have any of you purchase this one from B&C? the Graphic Television Interface Adaptor (GTIA), should not matter if I used S-video, right?

And how does one fix this bad GTIA? I guess with a new GTIA?

Any comments?

You should keep in mind that the XE series boards can be of poor quality so use extreme care when removing the old GTIA. Always install a good quality socket, this makes future repairs much easier.

The computer will work with the bad GTIA, just some graphics modes will look bad.

Hope this helps.

True.

But the 600XL is smaller I think for mods, right?

Thanks,

Yes, the case is not as deep, but I'm not aware of mods being a problem. You can do all the same mods as the 800XL, though some are dependent on upgrading the base memory to 64K first. I think the smaller size is a plus. Construction quality and keyboard is just as nice as the 800Xl.

I've been stocking up on 600XL's and spares, since I decided it would be my 'main' Atari 8-bit.

Edited by GlowingGhoul

Yes, the case is not as deep, but I'm not aware of mods being a problem. You can do all the same mods as the 800XL, though some are dependent on upgrading the base memory to 64K first. I think the smaller size is a plus. Construction quality and keyboard is just as nice as the 800Xl.

I've been stocking up on 600XL's and spares, since I decided it would be my 'main' Atari 8-bit.

Who is selling 600XL NOS? B&C?

Best has them for $99 $129 including one of the "good" rebuildable power supplies.

Edited by GlowingGhoul

If you don't care about saving the old GTIA, simply snip of all the pins at the chip with some good, pointy cutters. Then, remove the pins one by one and clear out the holes for a new socket and GTIA.

This is much easier than desoldering the GTIA intact.