IGNORED

CRT Sets

NinjaWarrior

In-laws just lost their last CRT. I offered to dispose of it for them, but it's proving to be more difficult than you'd expect. Can't throw it out, but none of the recycling centers take them. It doesn't work, at all, so I can't donate it.

I'm about ready to dissect it in the garage and let it go a piece at a time...

Most important step:

It's usually the caps that go bad, and if I'm not mistaken, that's typically because of age, so it won't make much difference if they've been used or they've been sitting in a warehouse.

Age and not being used.

In fact, sitting unused is more damaging for electrolytic caps than extensive usage, so NOS TV would likely be bead before the used TV out there.

It's why it's strongly advised to use your electronics at least once a month, for 15/30 minutes.

Of course, in both cases, a NOS one would come with unused tube, flywheel transformer, non-cracked solder joints so for someone that know his stuff, the NOS is a better choice.

But for someone looking for a ready-to-use solution, an used one in working state is a safer bet.

So after 30 years, when the screen is dark when you first turn it on for a minute, then stays dark a minute or two longer every week until *blap* no more picture, is that the picture tube or the caps? The two TVs I've seen go, both my parents', died that way.

I'd say the flyback transformer. But usually the flyback transformer die because thecaps that feed it and the solder joints crack and cause shorts.

It's a common failure for Sony Trinitrons of the 90's, as Sony experimented with lead-free solder early on, and it wasn't quite as good as it is now (which is, still far from good).

When getting an old TV, checking the caps and the solder joints, especially around the high voltage parts, shold be hte first thing you do.

Or testing it then checking, because let's face it we like powering old stuff :D

• Like 1

Not in all cases. The ULTRA 64 hdmi mod is a better solution than the Framemeister. It taps directly into the N64's digital RGB signal. There's no analog conversion, no noise, no lag. Plus the deblur function works wonders.

All right. I'll give you the N64 because of the built-in anti-aliasing. But not the NES. RGB mod that thing instead of doing HDMI, which will eventually be outdated. Spend the money on a Framemeister you can use on all your consoles.

On the other hand, my tiny little 13 inch tv I got for like my sixteenth or seventeenth birthday that all of my RF consoles are hooked up to is still hummin' along twenty plus years hence.

I know that I didn't pay for it, and it was better than fighting over the livingroom TV, but I don't know how I survived with the teeny tiny Magnavox I had in my bedroom @_@

In other news, I now have an opportunity to buy a Sony Trinitron KD-32XS945 for $100 (maybe less—it's listed for $100, but she told me to make her an offer). Would I be stupid to pass this up? It even includes the optional stand.

:cool: Jump on that HD CRT, it has an HDMI connector! My HD CRT displays both SD and HD video with no upscale issues.

:cool: Jump on that HD CRT, it has an HDMI connector! My HD CRT displays both SD and HD video with no upscale issues.

I was set to pick it up on Monday, until I looked online and found out that it weighs 175 pounds. I also watched the My Life in Gaming video about CRTs and decided that I would just stick with the SD model I got for free.

I was set to pick it up on Monday, until I looked online and found out that it weighs 175 pounds. I also watched the My Life in Gaming video about CRTs and decided that I would just stick with the SD model I got for free.

I bet in a few weeks that person will be offering the CRT to you for like 20$. Honestly they should be paying YOU to take it away, or at least just giving it away....they're very very unlikely to find anyone else who wants it. CRTs are only valuable to a small group of us, and an absolute albatross to most normal folks.

The weight the main reason why the market and consumers moved to flat screens. That and HD quality which the HD CRT supports up to 1080i. For me not a big deal of the weight, it is not like I'll ever move the TV again. No upscale issues and very bright screen even at extreme angles the reason why I prefer CRTs.

Edited by CRTGAMER

Yeah I never get that weight argument, from a user perspective. When is the last time you moved your TV, be a flat or CRT?

I haven't moved mine for at least 4 years, and I can think of even longer duration for family....

I constantly need to. If not to unplug/replug cables, then just to clean.

As someone who's abandoned scalers and SLG's and acquired a load of old CRTs lately (8 at last count...), size and weight does matter. Some of them are big heavy buggers. The BVM may only be 20", but it weighs 43KG and is insanely large for the screen area. Indeed that's too heavy for the stand I wanted to use it on and too big for the room I wanted to use it in. But yeah, once they're in situ, if you have them linked up to switch boxes, you rarely need to move them so it's a minor inconvenience.

I totally agree though, they take up a boat load of space. You just have to be creative about it and use some switch boxes to get the maximum amount of kit plugged into each.

I don't. Before that we had console TVs. They were built into the furniture and were fairly large, but I don't remember the exact size.

I definitely do. When I turned 11 my parents gave me a spare 13" black-and-white TV that I plugged my NES into. The big family TV at the time was 26" but my dad said no way will there ever be any video games on that TV. Anyway, two years later, I got a similarly-sized color CRT that had composite video-in. I thought I'd hit the big time, and when I got my Genesis in 1993 the system looked great. I used that 13" color TV until I graduated high school. My college roommate had a 19" TV and you could see all the detail in his Playstation games.

This 20" Apex TV/DVD combo looks pretty good with S-Video on my SNES and composite on my Genesis and NES.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

I definitely do. When I turned 11 my parents gave me a spare 13" black-and-white TV that I plugged my NES into. The big family TV at the time was 26" but my dad said no way will there ever be any video games on that TV. Anyway, two years later, I got a similarly-sized color CRT that had composite video-in. I thought I'd hit the big time, and when I got my Genesis in 1993 the system looked great. I used that 13" color TV until I graduated high school. My college roommate had a 19" TV and you could see all the detail in his Playstation games.

This 20" Apex TV/DVD combo looks pretty good with S-Video on my SNES and composite on my Genesis and NES.

There was only 1 TV in the house. That's all we could afford.

As someone who's abandoned scalers and SLG's and acquired a load of old CRTs lately (8 at last count...), size and weight does matter. Some of them are big heavy buggers. The BVM may only be 20", but it weighs 43KG and is insanely large for the screen area. Indeed that's too heavy for the stand I wanted to use it on and too big for the room I wanted to use it in. But yeah, once they're in situ, if you have them linked up to switch boxes, you rarely need to move them so it's a minor inconvenience.

I totally agree though, they take up a boat load of space. You just have to be creative about it and use some switch boxes to get the maximum amount of kit plugged into each.

Oh I know it matters, I have about 10 TV (mostly 36 cm, but a fatass Panasonic 90cm 16/9 and 3 43/55 cm). And you have to add computer monitors, which is... about 6 more displays.

But the bigger TVs are static so really now, I never move them. And most peopel do'nt go crazy like that and have one TV.

About size and weigh, I would LOVE to get one of those bigass retroprojectors. Those things were the shit in the 90's.

382020.jpg

About size and weigh, I would LOVE to get one of those bigass retroprojectors. Those things were the shit in the 90's.

I never liked projection TVs. I always felt like they looked dark and the picture wasn't as clear.

This. Forget viewing from an angle, absolute crap with dimming worse then older LCD screens. The replacement lamps are not cheap either. The rear projection TVs were huge, but not as heavy as a large HD CRT which are heavier then a same size 480i tube.

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

Oh I know it matters, I have about 10 TV (mostly 36 cm, but a fatass Panasonic 90cm 16/9 and 3 43/55 cm). And you have to add computer monitors, which is... about 6 more displays.

But the bigger TVs are static so really now, I never move them. And most peopel do'nt go crazy like that and have one TV.

382020.jpg

My brother had that exact set. It was like a monolith in his living room. You were never sure whether to watch it, or worship it ;)

It was spectacular though.

• Like 1

Remember when a nineteen inch tv seemed like opulence? :D

Idunno about that, I remember the livingroom TV being rather large, but like I said, we had to share it.

I also had my own TV in the basement, it was pretty decent sized but it was black & white, so I preferred to game elsewhere.

I didn't mind watching TV on it though. Heck, half the shows I watched weren't in color anyway.