IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2017 (Season 10)

5200-

Joust- 28min

Sega Genesis-

Shining Force- 11hrs 33min

- There is a lot of missing characters and extras, but the core game is still the same on 360 compilation disc. It is interesting to go through the game not using characters I'm accustomed to using.

• Like 6

My times for the week:

NES:

Ghostbusters - 150 min.

SNES:

Nolan Ryan's Baseball - 14 min.

RPM Racing - 327 min.

Beat Ghostbusters and RPM Racing. I think I used turbo when I beat Ghostbusters back in the 1990s; this time I didn't, but may have triggered the stairway infinite health glitch by accident -- not that it matters, since it's triggered by a normal gameplay event and you can't see your health anyway.

• Like 7

It was another well balanced week around here, with another good mix of old and new games keeping the misses and I entertained. :)

IcwzP7U.jpg

Ineligible
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo Wii) - 169 minutes
Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Nintendo Wii) - 440 minutes

Atari 7800
Dig Dug - 81 minutes
Galaga - 6 minutes
Mario Bros. (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 32 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man - 70 minutes
Pac-Man Collection! (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 371 minutes
Xevious - 14 minutes

PC-DOS (Emulated on Nintendo Wii)
Final Doom - 338 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,521 minutes (25 hours 21 minutes) [912 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Wii: 609 minutes
Atari 7800: 574 minutes
PC-DOS: 338 minutes

This week played out more or less the same as the last, with the only major difference being the selection of Atari 7800 games being played and who got a new controller this week. Last week the misses got a 6 button Sega Genesis arcade stick, but this week I got a new CX-78 joypad from Best Electronics. It took a little work to get it functioning properly, which was a touch annoying since I ended up having to return my last CX-78 to Best due to manufacturing defects then the replacement they sent me had some issues too, but I got them sorted out and it's now working wonderfully. I'll definitely be looking forward to putting that joypad to good use when the next season of the Atari 2600 High Score Club starts in January.

As far as the games played this week go, I continued trudging on through Final Doom a few levels at a time and have been slowly wrapping up all the mini games I've yet to complete in Kirby's Epic Yarn. I also spent a great deal of time playing Atari 7800 as well, mostly focusing on the Atari 7800 High Score Club games Mario Bros., Dig Dug, and Pac-Man Collection!; but I also spent a few minutes here and there just relaxing with some old favorites and testing out the new CX-78 joypad.

The misses didn't play a whole lot this week, just Muramasa: The Demon Blade on the Wii and a few Atari 7800 games. At this point she's completed both the male and female characters' stories in Muramasa and got two of the three possible endings for each character, though she's yet to get the true endings for either of them which I think is going to require her to unlock ever sword in the game first. On the 7800 she spent a bit of time playing Ms. Pac-Man and Dig Dug, then joined me for several games of Pac-Man Collection! via emulation. Playing with Fast Mode on as I've been doing for the High Score Club was a little rough on her wrists though, so she mostly stuck to normal speed Pac-Man for her games.

Well, I think that about covers everything for this week! Next week looks like it's going to be pretty similar at this point, as the misses continues her quest to get all the different endings in Muramasa and I keep trudging on through Final Doom and playing Atari 7800 HSC games. I should probably also start tallying up my household's total gaming time for the year so I can do a year end statistics wrap up like I did last year, which will be a lot of work but should also be a lot of fun I think. Until next time, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

• Like 6

Emerson Arcadia 2001:

1. Alien Invaders - 20 min

2. Astro Invaders - 33 min

3. Breakaway - 25 min

4. Cat Trax - 48 min

5. Crazy Climber - 15 min

6. Escape - 62 min

7. Frogger - 25 min

8. Funky Fish - 75 min

9. Space Raiders - 61 min

Videopac+ G7400 :

1. Freedom Fighters - 35 min

2. Helicopter Rescue - 21 min

3. Loony Balloon - 20 min

4. Norseman - 26 min

Atari Jaguar :

1. Tempest 2000 - 83 min

• Like 7

2600 week for me... Got a couple new 2600 games and an Atari Flashback Portable the other day and had to test them out. =) All times are approximate. I didn't actually time anything, but it's probably pretty close. Most of them were just trying out the portable, but there are two that were on actual cartridges (Ms Pac Man and Moon Patrol).

Atari 2600

Asteroids - 5 min (This plays pretty well on the portable. No problem seeing anything and the D-pad worked fine. This will definitely get a lot of play time in the future.)

Dig Dug - 10 min (Almost got this one when I was at the shop earlier in the day, but got the other games instead. Then got the portable and this was on it. Score! Control is kinda iffy... often seems to not respond, but that could be because of normal weirdness in controlling Dig Dug.)

Frogger - 2 min (I have the cartridge of this, and this is a different version. Doesn't look like what I'm used to at all. Don't know that I would add this to any 2600 Frogger times as I don't think it's the same game. Not sure if I like it more or not, will have to play around with it more, but I seemed to die on submerging turtles much more than usual.)

Frogs & Flies - about 2 min (Just played through one round... however long that is... interesting game, but I can't see much long term play of it. lol)

Galaxian - 5 min (Always fun to play a round or two of Galaxian. I don't like it as much as Galaga, but it's still pretty fun. Worked well on the portable.)

Golf - 1 min (I never could figure this one out. I gave up after about 15 strokes on the first hole.)

Missile Command - 8 min (Played this while waiting for the pharmacy to open at Wal Mart. I've never been that good at Missile Command... too many things to try to keep track of... but I didn't do too bad.)

Moon Patrol - 10 min (Actual cartridge on this one. Finally got a copy of Moon Patrol for something. I used to play this all the time on an Apple II back in grade school and I remember playing the arcade machine at the corner gas station. Anyway, it was a blast to play this one.)

Ms Pac-Man - 20 min (Actual cartridge on this one, too. Been playing with a Genesis controller, but suddenly remembered that I had a Genesis arcade stick and that made it MUCH easier to play. I'll probably be playing a good bit of this now... you know... when I'm not spending hours at a time on Witcher 3. lol)

Pac-Man - 5 min (Like Frogger, this is not the version I'm used to. And also, like Frogger, not sure if it would count to 2600 Pac Man times. It looks and sounds MUCH better, but, and it may have been because of the size of the screen, the flicker on the ghosts made them very difficult to see.)

River Raid - 3 min (I used to be really good at River Raid. It was one of my favorite games for the system back in the day. Even got a patch from Activision! My skills however have fallen far below my glory days... This did seem to control well on the portable, though, so I'll be practicing more when I carry it with me.)

Tempest - 1 min (Never thought this was that great of a version... it was passable, but meh... anyway, it's really hard to see what's happening on the portable's small screen.)

Xevious - 5 min (Interesting that this was on there as it was just a prototype or something, wasn't it? Anyway, it wasn't too bad. I like the 7800 version better. I found it hard to hit the things on the ground, but I haven't practiced much.)

Yars' Return - 5 min (I had Yars' Revenge back in the day, but never played this. Had to figure out different strategies, but pretty fun until the static shield thing disappeared! Then I game overed pretty quick.)

NES

Duck Hunt - 15 min (This was actually last week and my daughter. She loves Duck Hunt and has to play it every time she's here. She would have played much longer, but it was already past her bed time when she started.)

Ineligible

XBox One - Witcher 3 - HOURS... This is a pretty huge game and pretty fun just fighting bad guys even when I'm not on a quest. There are some interesting quests, too, though... like one I did last night where I painted a chicken for a troll. /shrug... I got Bioshock Infinite for the 360 the same trip I got this and I haven't even put it in the system yet.

Playstation 2 - NCAA Football 2004 - About 10 minutes - Wasn't really so much playing this one as I was using it to test out a PS2 I had been given. I had mentioned to a guy at a local shop that I had been given a PS2 and he gave me another PS2 "for parts." Thing is... the thing seems to work just fine. The only things I've found wrong with it is that it's dirty, it's missing the cover for the hard drive slot in back, and it makes a funny sound when the disc tray opens. I used this game to test it because A. It has a two player option so I could test the second controller port and B. If the PS2 scratched it up or something, it wouldn't be a big loss. lol

• Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 48, running from November 27 - December 3. We logged 4552 minutes of eligible play, playing 55 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Shining Force (Genesis) - 693

2. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 371

3. Ultima III: Exodus (Apple II) - 345

4. Final Doom (PC (DOS)) - 338

5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 330

6. RPM Radical Psycho Machine Racing (SNES) - 327

7. Longest Journey, The (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 299

8. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 297

9. Ghostbusters (NES/Famicom) - 150

10. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 146

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 371

2. Ultima III: Exodus (Apple II) - 345

3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 330

4. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 297

5. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 146

6. Dig Dug (Atari 7800) - 81

7. Bowling (Atari 2600) - 77

8. Funky Fish (Emerson Arcadia 2001) - 75

9. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800) - 70

10. Escape (Emerson Arcadia 2001) - 62

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1101)

2. Genesis (693)

3. Atari 7800 (574)

4. PC (DOS) (413)

5. Emerson Arcadia 2001 (364)

6. Apple II (345)

7. SNES (341)

8. PC (Windows 95/98) (299)

9. NES/Famicom (192)

10. Odyssey^2 (102)

A second week at the top for Shining Force, which also becomes #311 in the 1000-minute club with 1461 minutes logged to date.

Meanwhile it's three charts, three platforms once again, as Pac-Man Collection is the top game of the pre-NES crew while the VCS is the week's most-played system.

• Like 6

Sega Genesis-

Shining Force- 4hrs 28min completed.

The Xbox 360 compilation disc is missing many of the original characters and items, but all the levels and bosses are as should be. The Dreamcast smashpack version was a far more complete game. Bottom line- This one's good, but play the original or Smashpack versions to not cheat yourself. Next up is SFII...

post-25215-0-92421900-1512793308_thumb.jpg

post-25215-0-90117000-1512793351_thumb.jpg

post-25215-0-91413800-1512793360_thumb.jpg

post-25215-0-44274800-1512793370_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Way to go! Any plans to do Shining in the Darkness at some point? I know it's the oddball of the Shining series but it was always my favorite. :)

Hmm, I'll have to think about that. I last played that one in 2001.I was actually pondering playing the GBA sequels since I've never done so.

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (December 4th through 10th)...

Android phone (non-eligible):

Crazy Taxi: City Rush - 102 min. in 7 sessions

Commodore 64:

Burger Chase - 47 min.

Burger Time - 75 min. in 2 sessions

Online (non-eligible):

Papa's Pancakeria - 13 min.

Stockstream - 164 min. in 8 sessions

This week I continued to play some games I already played last week... Crazy Taxi: City Rush, Papa's Pancakeria and Stockstream. But I also played two C-64 games...

Burger Time is the official arcade port, though it's actually pretty badly made by Interceptor Software. The villains don't drop along with a bun they're on, the pepper doesn't spray forward, but appears right in place of Peter Pepper, and the villains wander around pretty aimlessly. It's still getting difficult in the 4th round (out of 4 different mazes totally unlike the arcade ones) because your pepper doesn't carry over from round to round or from life to life, and also the level resets if you lose a life. Oh, and there's only one pepper (giving 2 units) per level.

Burger Chase is actually a bit better than that, with the mazes also more resembling the original arcade ones, but there's only 4 of them instead of 6, and they still took many liberties. Some of the enemies are a bit more clever here, but not all of them.

I actually have to consider what to start playing. I wasted two hours on those burger games on Friday, and there are constantly other mobile games being advertised between game rounds of Crazy Taxi: City Rush, some of which seem quite interesting, but I don't have time to play them all. Maybe I should make a list of games I consider trying, and then select from that list. Also with Crazy Taxi: City Rush, I cut it down to one session per day, but I do try to make sure to play it daily because there's one round that gives you high bonuses for playing on consecutive days.

• Like 5

Burger Time is the official arcade port, though it's actually pretty badly made by Interceptor Software.

I am not so sure it was an official version, rather than Interceptor kidnapped the name of the game just like they did with e.g. Crazy Kong, Frogger and Missile Command. Although Interceptor were reasonably large, I think they may have flewn under the radar or the copyright laws were not strong enough or the process too complex for Data East to go to court for that.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

Harmony returns, and with it cometh the homebrews! :D

qiCnyX6.jpg

Ineligible
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo Wii) - 272 minutes
Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Nintendo Wii) - 474 minutes
Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil (Nintendo Wii) - 56 minutes

Atari 2600
Alien - 74 minutes
Berzerk - 23 minutes
Bubsy: Kitt'N Kaboodle - 5 minutes
D.K. VCS - 7 minutes
Dungeon - 49 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man - 8 minutes
New Pac-Man (8k Version) - 23 minutes
Pac-Man Arcade - 9 minutes
Pac-Man Plus - 14 minutes
Pitfall II: Lost Caverns - 67 minutes
River Raid 3 - 58 minutes
Super Breakout - 29 minutes
Zippy the Porcupine - 112 minutes

Atari 7800
Pac-Man Collection! (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 230 minutes
Xevious - 52 minutes

PC-DOS (Emulated on Nintendo Wii)
Final Doom - 199 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,761 minutes (29 hours 21 minutes) [959 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Wii: 802 minutes
Atari 2600: 478 minutes
Atari 7800: 282 minutes
PC-DOS: 199 minutes

After going a few months without a Harmony Encore cartridge, since I sold my previous one for some much needed household funds during the Atari 2600 High Score Club off season, the misses purchased me another one as an early Christmas present and it arrived in the mail this past week. It ended up being just as much a present for her as it was for me, and we both got in quite a bit of time on the Atari 2600 with the Harmony cart this past week. She played some Berzerk and New Pac-Man 8k, I played some River Raid 3 (which quickly became my favorite new homebrew game of the year) along with a few other games I had been wanting to try out, then we both played Alien, Dungeon, Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, and Zippy the Porcupine together throughout the week.

Outside of our Atari 2600 gaming sessions I continued playing through the TNT episode of Final Doom and have almost beaten it at this point with only 3 levels left to go, and I finished off my game of Kirby's Epic Yarn with 100% completion! Looking for something relaxing to play next I decided on playing through Chris's story in Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil on hard difficulty, since I did Jill's story back in October and kept meaning to get to Chris's. I guess I have a unique definition of "relaxing". :lol:

Outside of those games the only others I played this past week were Pac-Man Collection! for the Atari 7800 High Score Club, which I think I'm pretty much done with at this point as I can't see myself improving my scores any further, and some Xevious on the 7800 as well. I was particularly pleased with the time I spent on Xevious this week though, since for the first time ever I actually beat the game! By that I mean that I made it through all 16 Areas on Intermediate difficulty, which results in the game looping back to Area 7 if you make it through the grueling final gauntlet in Area 16. It was a feat I had never managed to pull off before and I've been really pleased about it all week.

As far as the misses' non-Atari gaming time for the week goes it was all Muramasa all week for her. She has now competed the male character's storyline with all three possible endings and unlocked every sword in the game, she's just got one ending left to get for the female character before she's done and plans to finish that one up next week. Pondering my plans for next week, I think it's probably going to be just continuing to play through Chris's story in Resident Evil, Final Doom, and getting in some more time trying new homebrews and and revisiting old favorites on the VCS via the Harmony Encore cart.

With the enormous amount of high quality homebrew games on the Atari 2600 I really can't think of any game console that it's more essential to have a flash cart for than the 2600, so with a Harmony Encore cartridge now back in my VCS once more I think I'll be perfectly happy with my Christmas haul this year even if that's all I get. Here's hoping your holiday season is off to a good start too! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 7

These times are approximate. I've really gotta get back to actually timing them, but some of it was done over breaks at work and I'd rather just play than worry about timing them.

Atari 2600

Asteroids - 90 min (This was all on my new Flashback Portable. Twice it was laying in bed, before bedtime, and once at work during break. I know it's a basic and common game, but it plays super well on the portable. The d-pad isn't the greatest and I had some trouble with games like River Raid, but it does great with Asteroids.)

Ms Pac Man - 24 min (I wish I'd had this back in the day. So much better than Pac Man.)

Sega Master System

Hang On - 30 min (It's been sitting there in the system for a while, so I played for a bit while waiting to go somewhere. It's kind of like Asteroids on the portable in that, the d-pad on the SMS isn't that great, but it does okay for Hang On. Some other games where more precision is required... not so much...)

Surprisingly, I didn't play any Witcher III this week. I need to get back into it as well as some other games that have been abandoned... maybe that'll be part of my New Years Resolutions?

The highlight of the week, though, was at work the day I took the portable. I'm back in the machine shop talking to the guy who gave me the PS2 he found in the trash and he suddenly says something about how he discovered there were Facebook groups or something for gaming... anyway, he suddenly says, "You know what game I always liked, Asteroids." I pull the portable out of my pocket. "What is that?" I turn it on. "Is that a game system?" "Yep" I scroll down and start up Asteroids. "You're shitting me. You are shitting me. I mention Asteroids and you pull it out of your pocket? Where did you get that..." lol

• Like 6