IGNORED

Anyone know a place where I can find joypads for cheap?

ApolloBoy

I really like the joypads that were packaged with the European 7800s, so I decided to get some for my 2600 Jr. But at most sites that sell the joypads, you have to pay $30 for a single joypad! That's stupid! Anyone know where I can find them for cheap? I mean, they're real easy to find in Europe, right?

Well I am based in the UK and can confirm that the 7800 pads are not actually that easy to find loose on ebay. You will probably have to get a console package. The 7800 was not exactly a hot seller over here, in fact it dived big time. Hence not many for sale.

I would also like the say that the joypads are not that great either... although I have never used one of the joysticks you guys use (which is also very hard to find in the UK by the way).

I usually try and play single button games so I can use a competition pro joystick instead.

I don't know what German ebay has to offer, but Atari was quite big in Germany so there might be more choice.

I certainly wouldn't pay a huge sum for one of these pads.

Look herre www.best-electronics-ca.com they have there joypads for $15 thats where i got mine.

yup thats where i got my 2 from, great service too and they tape their boxes up with Atari labeled tape :D

Deals can be had. Often Euro auctions have them labeled as joysticks

so they don't show up in a joypad search. There was recently a few

auctions of brand new ones listed as sticks out of Germany. They

went for about half of the US value. I didn't bid because I did not

want to deal with the hassles of buying in Euros and the bugger

charged you extra for using paypal.

John

Best price I could sell you 2 new 7800 Joypads , bag sealed , would be for $32.00 .

Shipping would be from UK in Pounds Sterling, not sure how much but the pads aren't exactly heavy.

Looks like Best might be the best(!) option.

I bought my pair from a seller in Germany and with shipping to the US it was about $20 total.  Really good deal, and well worth the cost!

I hear they're very uncomfortable.. :?

Not any more so than NES pads.

Alot of people complain with about the pads not being very accurate...well I just took out the thumbstick and they seem plenty fine to me. Maybe not as nice as the NES's pad, but at least as good as the SMS's. They also are easier on the hand then the stick (although I never had trouble with those, alot of people seem to have).

What you have from me is a big commendation on the pads, and a suggestion to anyone who's wanting to do some serious hours of gaming on the console to get a pair. Unless you're wanting to do some serious hours of Robotron. Then, the sticks may be better.

Radio shack use to do catalog orders on Atari games/items, up into the late 90's not sure they're still an option anymore thou. :D

I would say ebay is your best bet price wise.

Check this guy out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3023230089

That's who I just bought mine from about two weeks ago. He seems to have a whole stash of them, they appear to be new old stock, and were MINT! :D Shipping took around a week from Australia, and he charged exact costs, $12 which really wasn't that bad considering it's in AUD. My final cost from the auction & airmail shipping was a little under $15 US. :D

I don't think you'll find that the two 7800 buttons correspond to the 1 + 2 on SMS, and the reason I say this is that the two buttons on SMS don't correspond to unique buttons on 7800, they both act as one firing button. If SMS worked on 7800 that way, 7800 would work on SMS that way. This is actually far more crippling going from 7800 to SMS, because while a lot of 7800 games (and all of the 2600 compatible ones) only need one button, SMS most definitely needs both on 90% or more of the games.

I don't think you'll find that the two 7800 buttons correspond to the 1 + 2 on SMS, and the reason I say this is that the two buttons on SMS don't correspond to unique buttons on 7800, they both act as one firing button.  If SMS worked on 7800 that way, 7800 would work on SMS that way.  This is actually far more crippling going from 7800 to SMS, because while a lot of 7800 games (and all of the 2600 compatible ones) only need one button, SMS most definitely needs both on 90% or more of the games.

So you're basically saying that both buttons on the joypad will act as one fire button on the SMS?

So you're basically saying that both buttons on the joypad will act as one fire button on the SMS?

Yup, and vice versa. They aren't pinned out for the other system. Since I've got my SMS hooked up now and my 7800 handy, let me just do a quick test to confirm this..

On Power Strike, the 7800 controller caused both buttons (regular fire and special weapons) to go berzerk with auto repeat, and you couldn't control either one with either button.

On Moonwalker, the 7800 controller's left button would control Michael's spin kick, but the right didn't even register. (On SMS one controls the spin kick and the other controls jump.)

Directional control works great, but you won't have two functional buttons. So for an SMS use an SMS pad, and for a 7800 use a 7800 pad. Sadly the twain does not meet.

Archived