IGNORED

Program request: can somebody program a stopwatch ?

Level42

Hey guys,

I've had my lipo battery in my Lynx for a couple of months now and so far it has been working brilliantly.

What I would like to do is a test about how long the Lynx will actually run on the battery. Of course I could use a separate stop-watch but why not let the Lynx do that instead ? More fun !

Also there is another aspect: about every game I know will shut down the Lynx after about 4 minutes of inactivity. The only exception I know is Lode Runner which somehow seems to either keep resetting that "built-in" timer or it uses some other trick (or maybe all the official releases simply monitor for this themselves in the program ?)

Anyway, I don't want the Lynx to shut itself down for the test period of course.

So it would be cool to have a little program showing a stopwatch which can run at least for about 12 hours without shutting the Lynx down. (Start-stop-reset can easily be done with the A and B buttons). What I would also like is that the program would "load" the processors just like an average game would do, so that the measurements will be fair. So there should be something going on that keeps the Lynx processors busy while the stop-watch is still running.

The last idea I got about this is that it would be great if the program could somehow store the last time it was able to store it....so, maybe it can write a value in a file somewhere on the SD cartridge every second or so (or less if this is too often). It can simply write the current running time each time it does the write.

Then there would be a way to check that value after recharging the Lynx again. Maybe the program could do this, but it would also be fine if I could just read the value in a text file on the SD card.

This idea would make it possible to run the test unattended and without the need to aim a camera at it and film it all the time....

I guess this shouldn't be too hard to program. If the "keeping it busy" part is too hard a simple stopwatch program would work just fine too.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I read on another thread that the ones that shut the lynx off were less common? Though I may be mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that the Blue Lightning demo cart is designed to play endlessly and will somewhat load the CPU if you can find a ROM of that. It's not exactly what you're asking for as you still need a camera, but maybe a workable solution for now? Until someone offers to make the stopwatch with output features that you want.

Easy enough to find the point where the battery dies if you open the video in an editor and look for when the sound stops etc.