IGNORED

Homemade 7800 PSU?

sixersfan105

The problem with an adapter like that is that there's nothing that prevents you to plug it upside down, which will result in reversed polarity and damage to the console. So you have to clearly mark which way is the correct one and be extra careful when plugging it into the console. Or you could epoxy a small piece of plastic to the connector to match the notch in the 7800 socket.

Another way is to add a polarity protection inside the console itself, but I would probably just install a standard barrel socket instead.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 1

Looking for something cheaper but proven to work well, Atari Guide has a 7800 Power Supply for $17.99 + $1.00 shipping.

For $19, a safe/new Power Supply substitute with no need to worry about polarity misalignment:

http://www.atariguide.com/38/3800.htm#3800a1

post-18-0-80133000-1484929239_thumb.jpg

My personal recommendation is to stick to OEM; nonetheless, the above appears to be the next best thing.

They might be seen on eBay from re-sellers for double the price (or more). Don't get ripped off and buy direct. ;)

• Like 2

Looking for something cheaper but proven to work well, Atari Guide has a 7800 Power Supply for $17.99 + $1.00 shipping.

For $19, a safe/new Power Supply substitute with no need to worry about polarity misalignment:

http://www.atariguide.com/38/3800.htm#3800a1

attachicon.gifAG_A7800_PS.jpg

My personal recommendation is to stick to OEM; nonetheless, the above appears to be the next best thing.

They might be seen on eBay from re-sellers for double the price (or more). Don't get ripped off and buy direct. ;)

Solid idea but AtariGuide's site is DEAD! I had an awful buying experience from him (Jason, I think, based on forum replies from a few months back). He store is technically "live," in that it accepts payments and such through PayPal but he hasn't fulfilled orders in years. He does not reply to any emails, either. PayPal eventually refunded me, as they were not able to get in touch with him, either.

For reference: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254334-anyone-know-if-atariguide-dot-com-is-still-active/

Avoid like the plague!

• Like 2

Solid idea but AtariGuide's site is DEAD! I had an awful buying experience from him (Jason, I think, based on forum replies from a few months back). He store is technically "live," in that it accepts payments and such through PayPal but he hasn't fulfilled orders in years. He does not reply to any emails, either. PayPal eventually refunded me, as they were not able to get in touch with him, either.

For reference: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254334-anyone-know-if-atariguide-dot-com-is-still-active/

Avoid like the plague!

Thanks for the heads up. More the reason to stick with OEM; however, there is always ebay. They range ~$30-35, unfortunately.

Safe and new, but certainly not the cheapest option.

There is Amazon as well. Currently, $26.41 plus shipping.

(Free shipping if buying with other products totaling $49 or more):

https://www.amazon.com/Ac-Power-Adapter-Atari-7800-System/dp/B007PE1OZY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=f388bc3fc3ae6820f56305819b190436

• Like 1

Yeah true. It's Prime eligible, too. I just refuse to pay that much for non-OEM. AtariGuide is the seller on Amazon, but under the name DataAlchemy. Makes my experience with his direct site even worse! I bought an AtariGuide PSU from Amazon back in September for $18.89 and it works well (before I realized I was technically still dealing directly with Jason). I got lucky on eBay with an untested OEM PSU for $20, inclusive of shipping, about a month or so ago. I wish Best Electronics had a lower minimum buy for PayPal purchases.

I got around 6 or so 7800's and about only 2 original power supplys. My others are powered on various PSU's from other electonics gadgets that are aound 12V and 1 Amp. (some are 15V etc) Never had any issues using cheap £5 PSu's off Ebay, as long as they are correct in polarity and can handle the current consumption.