IGNORED

Is my 4-port switch box broke?

The Hat

I just got a power supply for a 4-port 5200 I picked up a week or so ago. I hooked it up and the systems LED comes on but I don't get a picture, not even a black screen or scrambled lines like on the 2600 when they don't work. Does this mean the 4-port switchbox is busted?

Make sure the little copper wire inside the plug isn't bent down. this si a pretty common thing and will result in getting no picture. Also make sure it's set to channel 3 not 2.

Tempest

The connections are all good but I don't hear a clicking noise when I turn the power on (clicking like a relay switch???) Would this mean that the switch box is broke. The system does get power through the box but if the relay is broke I suppose it wouldn't work. Any suggestions??? Does anyone have a extra working switchbox that they don't need/want??? Thanks!!!

The relay is fired off by an Op Amp and Transister that actually send the video signal seperately to the TV. If your getting power to the 5200 itself..and no picture..and no relay click, then I would say the switch box is broken. However, the switch box isn't that complicated and can be repaired pretty easily.

You can try ebay for spares or you could look at the 5200 FAQ which has a procedure in it for converting the 4 port units to use a standard switch box and seperate power supply connector.

I actually do have a spare...but have been holding onto it for the day my primary dies on me. That way I have no 5200 downtime while I fix a busted one...or get a replacement.

You can do what I just did, and order a brand new switch box for the 4-port 5200s from 4Jays. You can get 'em direct from their store or on eBay - they had a few auctions for them last I checked. Price at store and the BIN on eBay is $19.95.

I picked one up because I did just what Tempest said - accidentally bent the copper wire inside the plug. I got it to work again, but I'll feel better having a new one.

Archived