IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

This announce about custom controllers makes me think their 'hybrid emulation' is now pretty much limited to real-time interfacing with original controllers (as they apparently use the same connector as original ones) and they finally realized that real-time interfacing with the game cartridge was impossible from a software emulator that needs to run MUCH faster than the original CPUs did. They probably will use the exact same solution as retron-5 like products (i.e dumping the ROM ) and, when necessary, emulate the cartridge hardware with software like any other emulator so they need to find new ways to differentiate themselves from competition.

Edited by philyso
  • Like 3

This announce about custom controllers makes me think their 'hybrid emulation' is now pretty much limited to real-time interfacing with original controllers (as they apparently use the same connector as original ones) and they finally realized that real-time interfacing with the game cartridge was impossible from a software emulator that needs to run MUCH faster than the original CPUs did. They probably will use the exact same solution as retron-5 like products (i.e dumping the ROM ) and, when necessary, emulate the cartridge hardware with software like any other emulator so they need to find new ways to differentiate themselves from competition.

I wouldn't even go that far. It's more likely that they have a USB interface for original controllers. Those USB interfaces have been widely available for a long time now, and putting them on a custom PCB or otherwise wiring them up to fit their "look" is about as deep as this probably goes.

Considering how much R-Blow mocked traditional emulation and touted this thing as a completely new concept, I'd be very curious to see how they would reconcile the production unit with their initial marketing, if it ever came to pass.

Traditional emulation or "hybrid" emulation, this project now has to beat RetroUSB and Analogue in terms of performance. I'm not even sure if people care how they do it, it's just... unless you can do better than the best, why try?

• Like 1

I don't think they'd reconcile anything. Marketing doesn't work that way. If at one time a marketing department heralded something as being the end-all be-all and it didn't work out. Well.. They just forget about it and start spouting their BS about whatever it is they're now selling in place of the defunct item.

• Like 1

Do you have a link to it? I can't find it. Also, the numbers on the posts, are they supposed to be sequential? If so, there are enormous gaps between them, suggesting there are more deleted comments than those that make it on the board. The one-sidedness of the "community" is certainly unusual.

The renders are cute, I'll give them that, but can't play games with a rendered controller.

attachicon.gif11_gen_angle-1080x720.png

Where have we seen nice shiny renders before, with no solid proof of anything? Shameleon, Atawee bahcks / vee cee ess too..... :roll:

They did post pictures of a PCB weeks ago. That, combined with the prototype at SoCal last year which was TOTALLY COMPLETELY AND ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE COMPLETLEY GENUINE AND REAL....means that it would be inexcusable not to have a showable unit at E3.

I expect at the very least they put a bit more effort into theirs. I don't care if it's a dressed up 'droid emulation station housed in a 3d-printed shell. It shows they took more time and effort than mk ever did... :lol:

Seems that Polymega actually has something that isn't a render based off their twitter...

DfHnPeAVMAAP4n2.jpg

Of course it is just the controllers...

Using a wide aperture macro lens for that depth of field effect doesn't help their case even if the photo is real. They've shown far too many fancy depth of field renders already. The background being so out of focus means I can't trust if the photo is real or not. Also those buttons are rediculously glossy. Really cheap plastic, or someone cranked the specularity up too high? :dunce:

It's worth noting that all the responses to their tweet are people NOT content to simply take it at face value. While they aren't outright skeptical, you don't see a single "Looks awesome! Can't wait to play!"

Everblue

@

2h

Replying to @polymegaHQ @IndieCade and @E3

Are you going to announce anything new during #E3 such as price and release date?

Joe Wiederman

Joe Wiederman

@jwiederman

·

3h

Do we have any clue on release information yey

Insignificant other

Insignificant other

@unlovedhomie

·

7m

We need videos please and pre order info

Ben at Work

Ben at Work

@TVsBen

·

17m

Slick-looking Android skin.

MortyFluff [Morty's Laboratorium]

MortyFluff [Morty's Laboratorium]

·

2h

My most important question, will it play homebrew and/or bootleg games?

It's also worth noting that misinformation is being posted in the comments on Twitter as well. Jim May says:

"I dont think it will. Its very anti rom machine. But they will allow u to spend $600 to get all the addons for each system. They really need to have super nt business model and if some one hacks firmware then whatever. This unit is DOA."

Not true. It can play ROMs on flash carts, it just won't recognize the game so some of the online features won't be usable. Homebrew will work just fine, and the online features should work if they have the game in their database.

Only because they have a reputation for removing posts that are less than 100% enthusiastic. Most companies I'd say no, but they're a special case.

It seems like a standard tactic with all these pipe dream retro console companies.

• Like 1

It's also worth noting that misinformation is being posted in the comments on Twitter as well. Jim May says:

"I dont think it will. Its very anti rom machine. But they will allow u to spend $600 to get all the addons for each system. They really need to have super nt business model and if some one hacks firmware then whatever. This unit is DOA."

Not true. It can play ROMs on flash carts, it just won't recognize the game so some of the online features won't be usable. Homebrew will work just fine, and the online features should work if they have the game in their database.

That $600 figure is definitely spot-on. The base unit comes with one module and will cost $300, per their FAQ. $600 for all the modules is probably a lower end price.

Their FAQ has changed a little over the last few months. It now accommodates flash carts when before they were very vocal about you have to use real software. The FAQ entry about CD-Rs is gone, but in the past they'd said that it will check the media to make sure it's real. You can find those things quoted and linked in this very thread.

If "less than a base Nintendo switch" means exactly $300, you're halfway to $600. If the remaining three modules are $100 each, then I will conceed the point. I've heard much lower numbers floating around and would be surprised if the total for everything exceeded $450... But it's kind of pointless to argue based on speculation alone. Hoping the price is lower than some peeps are fearing.

I can't speak as to the FAQ, but I've always heard that anything you can play on the real console will play on Polymega. With so much development work on their hands, I can't imagine they would waste time adding copy protection enforcement beyond what the original consoles had.

Both flashcarts and CD-Rs should fall under the umbrella of "if it works, we can't stop it from working... and if it doesn't work, we can't force it to."

Spending so much time and energy trying to innovate around basic technological constraints is just pointless. Polymega seems to be going way out of their way to avoid talking about the features that actually interest 99% of their target audience. The same was observed in the RGVS and the Ataribox.

• Like 1

If "less than a base Nintendo switch" means exactly $300, you're halfway to $600. If the remaining three modules are $100 each, then I will conceed the point. I've heard much lower numbers floating around and would be surprised if the total for everything exceeded $450... But it's kind of pointless to argue based on speculation alone. Hoping the price is lower than some peeps are fearing.

I can't speak as to the FAQ, but I've always heard that anything you can play on the real console will play on Polymega. With so much development work on their hands, I can't imagine they would waste time adding copy protection enforcement beyond what the original consoles had.

Man, if only there were global communication channels that could be used for Polymega to clear up the confusion. Or maybe some sort of giant industry trade show that could serve as a place to make product announcements???

Dreaming, I know...

• Like 1

Sorry to triple-post, but some new close-ups of the TG-16 module warrant it, IMO.

It seems to work, at least as much as we can see. Not a big fan of the big-box presentation of the module and controllers... too much show not enough substance... but that's just my take.

post-9942-0-02812200-1528840096_thumb.jpegpost-9942-0-34360400-1528840104_thumb.jpeg

So, a working console for people to demo is not something of substance? I've been reading about how it doesn't exist for ages. :lol:

If the modules, pcb, and retail packaging had been left on the table for people to fondle, would that have upped the substantiality?

Not trying to come off as an ass... I've been a lurker for some time and when I saw this stuff I thought maybe the sentiment here would change somewhat. Just a little surprised that a functional demo at E3 still hasn't elicited much beyond pessimism.