IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

What makes you wake up every day and say "Imma go on atari age and argue hypothetical conspiracy theories about something someone is making because no way could anything be real"? I already said I've been a lurker for a long time and decided to jump in after I saw what I thought would be universally accepted as compelling proof that, at the very least, this thing wasn't another Chameleon.

I posted an intro thread a bit ago. My home turf burned down, and despite disagreeing with folks here about the Polymega thing, it seems like a good place. But whatever. If I'm mistaken and Polymega is a scam designed to... get peoples hopes up (?)... then I'll throw them right under the bus.

But if this thing is real, will you guys call me Senpai? For reals! Let's make this a bet! :D

Dude, if it's real, no one will be happier than me. Even if I don't get one, I'll just be glad there's one less scammer in the hobby.

The problem is, Polymega has followed the exact same script as Coleco and Atari. I don't think doubt is unreasonable.

• Like 1

lol, sorry to offer a differing opinion. Please stop putting quotes around my name, though. I'm claustrophobic. I can't speak for what trolls you've seen, but the number of threads i've posted in does not have any bearing on my opinions of things. My opinions will remain the same regardless of what other threads I post in, and there will be others and you will grow to love me because the schwartz is strong with me. This thread is just my infatuation for now. Disregard me, or fight me on the merits of things if you must. I still love you.

i will admit ignorance to the atari vcs stuff. I have no interest in or knowledge of that beyond the legitimate nothingburgers floated around. And, as a polymega believer, you have to appreciate the nothingness of the vcs burgers to make such a statement.

(edit: this was for flo; labrat, i tip my hat to that sentiment!)

Edited by nullity

It's weird that you've only ever posted in this thread, right?

I mean it'd be great to get some official Polyjumanji input in this thread and something to assuage our fears but instead we get the guerrilla war tactics.

Are you saying it would be entirely plausible that someone at E3 has time to kill while sitting behind a booth? They might even start posting on one of the largest retro gaming sites the very day the event commences in a thread about a device being debuted that targets people who would frequent said website?

That's just crazy talk, man.

• Like 3

Here's the thing, "nullity," we've seen trolly shills boosting the "Atari VCS" and Atari SA stock, to the exclusion of all other topics. When someone breezes into this forum, which is somewhat niche to begin with, and they start talking up a system that looks like vaporware to most reasonable people, our suspicions are aroused.

Hi nullity ... it's nice to see you turn up again, here, on AtariAge, battling against the AtariAge Hater's Brigade. ;)

What makes you wake up every day and say "Imma go on atari age and argue hypothetical conspiracy theories about something someone is making because no way could anything be real"?

I posted an intro thread a bit ago. My home turf burned down, and despite disagreeing with folks here about the Polymega thing, it seems like a good place. But whatever. If I'm mistaken and Polymega is a scam designed to... get peoples hopes up (?)... then I'll throw them right under the bus.

I'm claustrophobic. I can't speak for what trolls you've seen, but the number of threads i've posted in does not have any bearing on my opinions of things. My opinions will remain the same regardless of what other threads I post in, and there will be others and you will grow to love me because the schwartz is strong with me. This thread is just my infatuation for now.

Everyone here is perfectly fine with you having your own opinions of the things that the Polymanji/PolyMega/RetroBlox/whatever-their-name-is-this-week folks are saying.

But please, if you have any insider knowledge of this company, or of the people involved in it, then it would be nice for you to disclose it, and so not appear to be so blindly gung-ho, or maybe even troll-like, to the folks here.

Edited by elmer

Here's the thing, "nullity," we've seen trolly shills boosting the "Atari VCS" and Atari SA stock, to the exclusion of all other topics. When someone breezes into this forum, which is somewhat niche to begin with, and they start talking up a system that looks like vaporware to most reasonable people, our suspicions are aroused.

How about you make an effort to join a few other conversations before telling us how great this product, which is totally not your thing you are selling, might be?

All of this.

BTW love the new avi.

Hi Elmer! Did you ever earn your ban card at PCEFX? Can't be in the cool kid's club until the nutter nixes you. :D

It's not my intent to troll anyone here so much as to dispute some false information about a project I believe in. As you well know, my having met Bryan and played the prototype last year (the one that was alleged to not exist) does nothing to convince anyone of anything so I wasn't going to rush out of the gate with that factoid. But there you go. It's out there, and I'm sure anything I say on the topic now will be dismissed as propaganda from a paid shill (even though I have no skin in the game).

I actually logged in this morning to share some disappointing news I learned last night:

The base unit at $250 is no longer planned to include a module, so the price for the system and all modules has risen to $490. Still less than the numbers everyone was tossing around, but higher than I was hoping for and I stand corrected on that point. :(

https://twitter.com/personasama/status/1007063310141829122

According to this, the system overheats...

So it's probably not FPGA-based, right? Basically all of the FPGA stuff out there doesn't even mess with a heatsink. This review shows the Super NT torn down and the bare Altera Cyclone V is right in the middle.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/02/16/analogue-super-nt-review-the-new-benchmark-for-all-retro-consoles/#ee2f4555f049

I've not read through all of this, but maybe some of the answers you seek are in the patent?

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/docservicepdf_pct/id00000040926304/PAMPH/WO2018013735.pdf?psAuth=gaA4c3AkHycWpHK6fJhLbl60QH0B53L3wKbfMx5jHv0

You sure you don't work for pollywog wayback bricks Inc (or whatever the name is now)

Really, honest to goodness you're an uninvolved 3rd party?

• Like 1

You sure you don't work for pollywog wayback bricks Inc (or whatever the name is now)

Really, honest to goodness you're an uninvolved 3rd party?

Scout's honor. I would love to be involved, but lack the free time and brains to make any meaningful contribution to the project. I have spoken with Bryan from time to time and he has given me some interesting infos in the past, but I'm not under his employ. I just know him from the turbografx community.

Btw, got the OCR version ready here (pardon the domain name):

http://screwthispc.com/polymega_patent.pdf

Ah, got what I wanted.

(While an FPGA is used here as an example, other suitable technologies may be used.)

an FPGA isn't going to overheat but other suitable technologies very well could. Even the piece of junk Broadcom chip in the RPi3 can get overly-hot without a heatsink.

And there very well could be an FPGA in every module to handle the controller and cart slot inputs, and then traditionally emulated game in the system and that would be "hybrid emulation". It wouldn't gain you much, if anything, since the FPGA would still be stuck talking to the rest of the system via USB or similar.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I'm not as interested in this console, but I find it pretty hilarious that some of you guys think this console is vaporware like the Coleco Chameleon or the Atari VCS.

I mean, they actually showed up to E3 with a workable prototype, what more do you guys want? lol

It's just a shame that the console hasn't gotten any buzz -- it would be interesting to see or read reports on how well the games play. It's impressive enough that they followed through and brought something to the table in a field of liers & profligates.

Edited by Sho

I'm not as interested in this console, but I find it pretty hilarious that some of you guys think this console is vaporware like the Coleco Chameleon or the Atari VCS.

I mean, they actually showed up to E3 with a workable prototype, what more do you guys want? lol

It's just a shame that the console hasn't gotten any buzz -- it would be interesting to see or read reports on how well the games play. It's impressive enough that they followed through and brought something to the table in a field of liers & profligates.

The first time they showed up somewhere, their prototype was a computer running their front end. That's not enough for an unproven, untested company.

Again, it's up to them to prove their claims. If it works, great! I said way back in the beginning of all this that a Retron-like device to replace ailing CD machines sounds good. What I'm not a fan of is the potential pricing, the marketing nonsense like "hybrid emulation," and the lack of explanations as to how stuff actually works.

When did critical thinking become verboten? I don't get it; you should want the most information up front so you can weigh your options better.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 3

The first time they showed up somewhere, their prototype was a computer running their front end. That's not enough for an unproven, untested company.

Again, it's up to them to prove their claims. If it works, great! I said way back in the beginning of all this that a Retron-like device to replace ailing CD machines sounds good. What I'm not a fan of is the potential pricing, the marketing nonsense like "hybrid emulation," and the lack of explanations as to how stuff actually works.

When did critical thinking become verboten? I don't get it; you should want the most information up front so you can weigh your options better.

I agree with a lot of your points. However even so, this is a far sight better than what happened with the Chameleon and currently with the VCS.

I do want information upfront, but I also take time to look at the bigger picture at play as well. This company has changed its name, ended its crowdfunding campaign and somehow got angel investors to put in 500,000$ USD into the project. That tells me a lot from the jump.

Does their marketing suck? Yes it does. Its a shame that theyve been keeping people at wits end over the specs and functionality of the device, while only offering meager tidbits here and there. Im used to this nonsense already in the gaming community in general.

However, arent going around begging people for mone and/or offering a resurgence of gaming nostalgia in a pretty box with wood grain paneling.

If you think about it, this echoes what happened with Chris Taber when he started his own ventures with the CMVS. People doubted it would release, then quipped about the cost amongst other things. However he kept it going and now in 2018 people purchase and discuss the NT, Super NT and various 8BitDo controllers with varied success and happy stories. If these guys can bring something else successful to the table, it would be a much needed thing.

• Like 2

The reason I'm so skeptical is because it sounds like a dream. I want to believe but I've seen too many systems promise the stars and deliver none of it. I really want a way to play CD-based systems on a modern platform without the input latency and audio sync issues inherent to so many one-stop emulation solutions. I'm just really picky about this stuff and they're going to have to earn my money. No more and no less.

• Like 2

Frankly, even if the price is a bit high, the unit and, let's say the Turbo module, if they work well, would be a relatively cheap all in one HDMI PC Engine solution (at least compared to that hard drive / a/v unit in a box thing that just came out plus buying a Core Graphx) for modern TVs... but again, until we know more, it's hard to get excited about the possibility of same. Obviously, we need to wait and see... but yeah, the drips and drabs of info over the last year and a half plus their frankly bizarre emphasis on the wrong things does not fill a lot of us with confidence.

It's also hard to forget their seeming overconfidence /arrogance ("the Super NT is a nice solution in the interim").

• Like 5

This is a claim that interests me. Specifically, its origin. Are you referring to their demo at SoCalRetroGamingExpo last year? Because of what Pat Contri said?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261689-retroblox/?view=findpost&p=3697624

I recall asking Bryan about this claim back when it happened and him laughing it off because Pat either never even stopped at the booth, or passed by so quickly that he wasn't noticed. I was in Los Angeles June '17 and played the same unit that was on display at SCRGE (just with a newer OS revision). I'm told that while there was an empty shell on display separately, the working prototype was hooked up to the TV and being played by attendees. I wasn't at SCRGE so I can't say I know this to be true 1st hand, but it doesn't really seem like the kind of thing that would be worth lying about.

I'm all for critical thinking, but it has to apply to data on all sides of a subject. Pat was either mistaken or passed on some hearsay as fact, but his statement outweighed video evidence to the contrary and muddied the waters.

The reason I'm so skeptical is because it sounds like a dream. I want to believe but I've seen too many systems promise the stars and deliver none of it. I really want a way to play CD-based systems on a modern platform without the input latency and audio sync issues inherent to so many one-stop emulation solutions. I'm just really picky about this stuff and they're going to have to earn my money. No more and no less.

Thats a good reasoning for being skeptical honestly, and I cant blame you for it. There really hasnt been any headway when it comes to CD based systems, and weve already seen a fiasco with that Seedi system.

However there in lies the benefit of them not taking your money through crowdfunding before showing off the product.

At any rate the Polymega Twitter was just recently updated mentioning that several interviews are coming soon. Also mentions that the console is FPGA Assisted which seems to line up with the patent that was posted earlier here. Perhaps someone very technical like Kevtris might want to weigh in?

I've not read through all of this, but maybe some of the answers you seek are in the patent?

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/docservicepdf_pct/id00000040926304/PAMPH/WO2018013735.pdf?psAuth=gaA4c3AkHycWpHK6fJhLbl60QH0B53L3wKbfMx5jHv0

Ugh. That PDF is just scanned images. Not searchable at all. And I know, not your fault.

I'll run it through OCR and upload a copy to my server over lunch.

No need, here's a link

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2018013735