IGNORED

What's your favorite Super Mario Bros?

What's your favorite Super Mario Bros?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Super Mario Bros?

• Super Mario Bros
    • SMB 2
    • SMB 3
    • Super Mario World
    • Mario 64
    • Sunshine
    • Galaxy
    • Galaxy 2

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If they had released the Japanese SMB2 in the US it would have been a debacle. It would've been too hard for most kids, and it's more like an expansion pack than a sequel.

Plus, at the time, Nintendo was very wary about releasing sequels that were too much like the original, knowing the US market was fatigued of endless Pac-Man and Centipede iterations. They were afraid of being seen as offering "more of the same". Which I think was a reasonable fear, given the climate at the time.

Plus, at the time, Nintendo was very wary about releasing sequels that were too much like the original, knowing the US market was fatigued of endless Pac-Man and Centipede iterations. They were afraid of being seen as offering "more of the same". Which I think was a reasonable fear, given the climate at the time.

That must be why Zelda 2 was so different from the first one as well. They really wanted to try new things at the time.

SMB2 didn't become the odd one out until SMB3 went back to the style of the first game. ;)

Ehhh I'd say that SMB3 is just as much 2 as 1. #2 to #3 some enemies, various lands based upon environment, pick up and carry-toss mechanics, differing behavior of the character based upon the suit(while it was the body itself in #2), a larger staple of detail and audio tracks style too. #1 brings back the return of the staple creatures and expanded variants and obviously koopa himself too. They both had a hand in really guiding the feel of SMB3 (and 4.)

• Like 3

Pleasantly surprised to see SM2 getting so many votes--that is definitely my fave of the series. I also really like the original Game Boy title. Both of these games have my favourite soundtracks of all Mario games.

More generally, I prefer the earlier Mario titles. I continued playing "current" video games long after losing interest in Mario, so I know my preference for the early titles isn't just nostalgia talking. I can pretty much isolate the precise moment that Mario started to suck (IMO), and that's the first time the words "mama mia!" passed his pixelated lips.

You gotta realize we are part of a community that celebrates retro gaming. I'll admit recent Mario titles have been a bit flat. New Super Mario Brothers for DS was great for it's time but then three sequels later they got stale. And 3D Land / World seemed like Nintendo were trying to convert NSMB aesthetic into 3D. I still believe Wii-U had the best NSMB by a small margin, with the art direction, SMW style world map as opposed to SMB3 style, and a new ground theme.

Nintendo got into a "safe zone" of sorts where they found a formula that worked and refused to deviate from it. SMB123World each had unique elements, then they combine the best assets of each game including ground pound and wall jump from 64, and shoehorn them together, then they make three stale sequels and two 3D versions with essentially the identical same engine. Paper Mario risks a similar fate if they don't return to the glory system of partners and badges instead of relying on stickers or cards for basic attacks. And yes, even the "cookie cutter" games like NSMBU, 3D World, and possibly even Paint Splash were fun if they didn't push the envelope. I did complete Paint Splash but can't be arsed to go back and clear every white spot in the game, especially when bandits can steal it back.

Back to recent 3D outings, they left a lot to be desired compared to SM64, Sunshine, and the Galaxies. Did I mention how much I loved Sunshine, even though I cast the lone vote for Galaxy 2? The Galaxy games were IMO the pinacle of 3D platforming but I understand some people can't stomach the physics and that's fine by me. It seems Nintendo is going back to their roots with Odyssey and will blow away previous efforts. Some people scoffed at the idea of Mario exploring the Human world GTA/Lego City style, but I think it's brilliant. I hope Nintendo makes Donk City the main hub world, with portals to other stages. Sunshine gets my vote all around for best hub world though, but that could change soon...

This is just my opinion, but it's hard to say which one is best or favorite, because it depends how old you are.

If you grew up with a NES, SNES and/or N64, your favorite is likely going to be SMB3, SMW and/or Mario 64

But if you didn't have a NES or SNES and maybe instead had a GB/GBC it's more likely that Super Mario Land 2 ranks about the same as SMW for the SNES.

If you started with the GBA, then the revised versions of Super Mario 2 (Mario Advance), Super Mario 3 (Mario Advance 4) and Super Mario World (Super Mario Advance 2) might be preferred over the NES versions but equal to the Mario All stars/SNES versions.

Here's why I like certain games more than others:

Mario 64 knocks it out of the park for music, and I wish Nintendo would have stuck to this music design for all titles.

3D land and 3D World are a good blend of platforming and 3D elements.

SMB3 and SMW had worlds that went in all directions, but SMB3 let you store a variety of items.

Super Mario World however let you find multiple paths through the levels with two exits in some.

I found Super Mario 3D World to be the right balance of what I want in a 3D Mario platformer, and hope Nintendo sticks with this for whatever they have planned for the Switch (4 player, multi-directional, items that let you take alternate paths and so forth.)

But what I would love to see is Nintendo going back to the Super Paper Mario (which was more of a Metroidvania game than a RPG) and make it take place in a Mario world we haven't seen for some time (eg Sarasaland from SML, Super Mario 2 dreamland)

• Like 1

This was even true for the Japanese market. Take a look at sequels to games that didn't make it here. Fire Emblem Gaiden plays very differently than the original Fire Emblem game for Famicom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found Super Mario 3D World to be the right balance of what I want in a 3D Mario platformer, and hope Nintendo sticks with this for whatever they have planned for the Switch (4 player, multi-directional, items that let you take alternate paths and so forth.)

The next 3D Mario, Mario Oydessey for the upcoming Switch console, will be open world platforming. There is an awesome urban GTA-style sandbox stage shown prominently in the trailer. It comes out November 2017.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

While 3D World was fun (Cat Suit = best Powerup ever) with their returning SMB2 cast of characters (and unlockable Rosalina :lust:), I felt it relied to heavily on the 3D grid mechanic and NSMB style physics. In short it felt like a glorified obstacle course constructed of modular floating blocks rather than believable worlds. Compare for instance Hazy Maze Cave in Mario 64 to the underground areas of 3D Land and 3D World.

• Like 1

The next 3D Mario, Mario Oydessey for the upcoming Switch console, will be open world platforming. There is an awesome urban GTA-style sandbox stage shown prominently in the trailer. It comes out November 2017.

While 3D World was fun (Cat Suit = best Powerup ever) with their returning SMB2 cast of characters (and unlockable Rosalina :lust:), I felt it relied to heavily on the 3D grid mechanic and NSMB style physics. In short it felt like a glorified obstacle course constructed of modular floating blocks rather than believable worlds. Compare for instance Hazy Maze Cave in Mario 64 to the underground areas of 3D Land and 3D World.

I think Mario Odyssey is more in the realm of Mario 64, less platformer, more exploration. If it's really a world that can be wandered around without pausing to load levels or change zones, that will make it the largest Mario game ever made. However that is not a trademark of Mario, that's a trademark of the Zelda series. People keep mentioning GTA, but the trademark of GTA was having a free-roaming environment that would normally be found in a RPG game, without the RPG grind. GTA is actually more restrictive than RPG games when it comes to things you can actually do inside the world, but since there is no grind involved, it relies on skill to get through missions.

At any rate I'm not sold on it yet. Every time I hear about another "open world, sandbox" I hear "80 hours of crafting nonsense"

I voted for SMB, the first one, but I'm atypical. I have played and enjoyed most of the Mario games over time, but grow bored before finishing them. I think I've watched a lot of the Mario games, watching my boys play them over the years. I'm much more a Sega and Sonic the Hedgehog fan and whatever that means, it ends up that I only appreciate Mario games but I'm not all that into them.

I never owned the NES so never really played the original that much, so every time I do turn it on now (via emu) I find it pretty fun. I can always play it for a few rounds or until I die. So I voted for it.

I played SM2 on the GBA (or was it DS?) for a while. Got the SNES after it was dead and never really got into World although it is very nice. I played a bunch of M64, even more Sunshine and I marveled at Galaxy and Galaxy 2 but probably only played through 50% of those games.

I think I may have played more Sunshine than any of them for some reason. I just like the look and the Fludd mechanics for some reason.

• Like 1

I think Mario Odyssey is more in the realm of Mario 64, less platformer, more exploration.

True indeed. Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW are both true sequels to M64 and OOT with the whole "open world" motif.

However I wouldn't be quick to call it less of a platformer. There's a ton of acrobatics going on in both M64 and Odyssey. I imagine Mario would take a hefty amount of damage jumping from such great height, though we don't know what kind of health system he will have. I presume the meter will be some kind of health wheel, as in Mario64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. No telling what type of power ups will be had in the game, but it seems the hat will be a big helper assistant. Like in Sunshine where the hover nozzle allowed Mario to clear larger chasms than would be possible with just the long jump, the hat seems to be used as a kind of platform for Mario to springboard off of, as well as a weapon similar to boomerang.

I have a feeling it may quickly become my favorite Mario game. :D

SMB is great and all, but these days I prefer Adventure Island because of the high degree of challenge. (It's a port of the quarter munching arcade game Wonder Boy.)

Beating AI without continuing is one of my video game goals. Even beating it with continues is probably harder than beating any Mario game except maybe the Japanese SMB2.

I think my favourite must be SMB3. I have such fond memories of playing the game for hours on my SNES with the Super Mario All-Sarts cart. It basically defined my childhood, that game.

I loved the visuals, which were bright and colourful, and it still has some of the best controlls for any platformer. I love it!

• Like 1

This is tough. SMB was the one I've logged the most number of hours on over the years. It's still the ROM I usually boot up first, when testing a new emulator. I still pick it up and play it more than the others, and I think it's 8-bit simplicity at its finest. But I think SMB2 is the "best" one. As has been mentioned: the trippy visuals, color palette. The gameplay was a huge leap forward (no pun intended). Being able to choose between different characters with different strengths needed for different levels. It's such a radical departure from the first one, and still does everything just as right for a proper forward-thinking sequel. So many new gameplay mechanics and cool stuff in general to admire about it. It doesn't surprise me that it's Miyamoto's favorite. It does surprise me that there aren't more hacks of SMB2. There's a masterpeice of a hack waiting to happen with that one. There's SO much that could be done with that engine.

I never really owned an N64, and haven't played nearly enough of SM64. But I can say that the game was/is stunning, and was just as revolutionary as any of them. I remember being in a Toys R Us after the launch, and picking up a controller at a kiosk to give it a whirl = mind blown! I could hardly get over what they did there. Growing up on gaming in the 2D era, and playing this 3D rendition that was radically different, yet retained the same familiarity and SMB "soul". I'll never forget that. There's a strong case I could probably make for that one being the best one, but I really haven't played it enough. Mom bought us a PlayStation that year. :)

Oh, and in response to the "class of '88 sequels" being an amazing group...I concur. I loved them: Zelda II, SMB2, CVII, etc.. I have no idea why Simon's Quest isn't more highly regarded. It's a definite classic in my book.

• Like 2