IGNORED

Gearing up to learn

mykgerard

My "new" C64 acts flakey It seems to act up when it's cold (gives me goofy screens that look like bad ram chip screens) but performs better/normal when it's been left on awhile so I'm presuming that it has some cold solder joints. Does this seem off base or a likely possibility? I'm a newbie in electronics and I want to use my C64 as an opportunity to remedy that.

I bought a socket set and I'm going to first teach myself to solder with a radioshack kit or two (already have one), then I'll practice removing and resoldering chips from an old 7800 that isn't working due to corrosion on it's board and then when I feel comfortable enough that I won't screw up horribly, I"ll go about replacing some or all of the soldered chips with sockets. I'll subsequently be adding a JiffyDos to my system. I also have a diagnostic/dead test dual cart.

Edited by mykgerard

Try a different power supply (if you can) before anything else. I have had bad PSU's that have given all sorts of issues. Pushing on any socketed chips is a good idea due to chip creep over the years. Could also be old worn out caps causing issues....and other things like ram and so on...but start with the basics first before you go de-soldering stuff.

• Like 1