IGNORED

Intellivision RGB Install

retroACTIVE

• 1 month later...

RetroACTIVE,

Your mod looks great! I am completing the mod myself as well but I ran into an issue I was hoping you or anyone on the forums can help with. What is your pin out on your 8 pin rgb scart port? I was following the retrorgb guide but realized I have your port and not the one he uses. In addition, does there need to be a 5 volt feed to 8 pin port? I current have red, green, blue, S, (which I assume is sync) , V (I assume composite video) and ground from the output of the rgb board. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Like 1

I had a little trouble with my install too. I definitely need another mini din port, a nice heavy duty one. This one that is currently installed that came with the kit is fragile and junky. I bought a cheap Scart converter box and couldn't get any picture or sound to come up on my flat panel, but my Inty still works perfectly fine via the composite mod I did. A lot of variables there. Any readings I should confirm with a multi meter as far as voltages? I'm pretty darn sure my wiring is correct but maybe I made a mistake soldering to the din port pins. It could be the Scart box too, or maybe the cable. My TV is a PITA as it is (which is why I prefer and still use analog tech and CRTs). I kinda got frustrated after it didn't work the 1st time, which rarely happens for me and stuck it on the back burner for the moment. I'd like to come back to this project and finally complete it though. Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 1

I tried composite... it just looked horrible with my INTY. I used high quality shielded cables and nothing seemed to work. I spent so much time trolling forums for how to make it better and there just didn't seem to be anything that was a lock. This pushed me to the RGB solution, and I'm really glad I did this.

and yeah... I was uncertain as to how this should be wired too!!! Here is what worked for me... and it works

perfectly with the cheap converter...

pinout

For this kit connect pin labeled V(+5) pin 5 of the mini-din and connect S(CSYNC) to pin 3 of the mini-din
Edited by retroACTIVE
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

RetroACTIVE, addition, does there need to be a 5 volt feed to 8 pin port?

Not if you have a dedicaced RGB monitor or SCART converter.

On SCART equipped TV, a 5 to 12 volts voltage on a specific pin of the port make the TV switch to the A/V display. (and a second one choose between composite and RGB, hence why in the plug part, you wire the 5 volts to a second pin with a resistor, as "no voltage" is composite).

It's a needed part of RGB mods, first because we european are used to autoswitch, and more importantly, many late European TV don't have any way to switch to the A/V input without the remote control, and even those who do rarely let you choose between RGB and composite, meaning that without this voltage, the A/V will display composite instead of RGB.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but I finally revisited my RGB install that I had issues with before and finally got it working.. After putting it off to work on other projects/interests, I was inspired recently by another member's efforts on his own Inty RGB mod w/ stereo sound (a thread over in the hardware section), so I dove back in tonight to fix my mistake(s). I replaced and rewired the crappy mini DIN connector and as I suspected, it was just a couple wires I had mixed up on the old Din connector this entire time, the Sync and +5v more specifically. If only I could use it with my OSSC instead of a crappy Chinese converter/scaler, I'd be truly happy, but all in all, I can't complain.. It does look great! :D

post-37932-0-86523300-1548207522_thumb.jpg

^I snapped a quick photo while testing it, before putting it back together.

• Like 4