IGNORED

SIO Wifi modem with esp8266

mozzwald

Okay,

Pretend I am dumb. What I knew about BBSing back in the day I've forgotten. I don't want to argue with you over whether this or that is better. I just want to get connected to a BBS using what I have. :)

What I have is:

1088XEL with SDX and CF3 IDE Adapter

I have Both's download containing the two .atr term programs bobterm and ice in a folder on a CF card inserted into the CF3 IDE adapter. (Thank you, Both, for the excellent work)

This ESP-01 Wifi module connected to Both's Rverter adapter circuit and the appropriate pins on the SIO AUX connector on the 1088XEL motherboard.

DSC_2822.jpg

The 1088XEL is booting and I am getting a ready prompt. I am getting a red solid led light on the far left (along the pcb edge) of the ESP8266.

Now as I understand this is the only hardware I need. I understand that the ESP8266 has a default AT command firmware installed so at this point it is as if I am connecting to a virtual modem.

One that needs an R-verter handler to allow communication between the ESP8266 and the Atari.

How do I first get the Atari and the ESP8266 talking to one another? Step by step...... :)

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 2

Yes, read the thread. I modified and installed zimodem using Arduino ide. But you can use the original firmware, you just need to connect to esp-01 using a modern computer and change the baud rate. That might be easy or difficult to do depending on your situation: do you have some serial connection for PC. Can be adapted to TTL 3.3v? Or 5v?

Yes, read the thread. I modified and installed zimodem using Arduino ide. But you can use the original firmware, you just need to connect to esp-01 using a modern computer and change the baud rate. That might be easy or difficult to do depending on your situation: do you have some serial connection for PC. Can be adapted to TTL 3.3v? Or 5v?

I've got a Mega 2560 development kit coming. I plan to use it to access the ESP8266. Plan to do some Arduino development anyway and figured it couldn't hurt. :)

In the meantime though what should I set ICE or Bobterm at?

I like how you modified the module and installed it in a 1030 modem. Neat!

Since you put your version inside a 1030 modem case, can you diagram the module and it's connection inside to the 1030?

Thank you,

Lenore

Some success...... :(

So the Mega2560 came in and I was able to get the ESP8266 on the adapter board programed for 9600,8,1,0,0. I assigned it an IP address and saved the network connection info. It is connected to my internal wireless network. It will respond to the Arduino's serial terminal using AT commands and I can ping the module from my windows computer. I did not however flash any new firmware.

I built Stefan Both's circuit(schematic appended) and am powering it off of the 1088XEL Aux SIO connector. I then connected the ESP8266 module to the circuit. I've loaded RVERTER.HND and then ICET.COM via the X command from SpartaDOS. When I power up I am getting the red ON LED stable and the blue connection LED lights briefly as the ESP8266 communicates with my network.

I set ICE for 9600 baud, no flow, 1bit parity, end of line CF+LF, emulation VT-100, local echo=ON.

Shouldn't I get a response when I type in the AT command?

StefanBothESP8266.pdf

Yes, you should. I had problems when powering the model from SIO +5V ready. It still worked for a moment and got a lot of "error" strings in ICET.

You can try flick80.com (flicker term) and bobterm to see if it makes any difference. The other thing is the level conversion, how are you doing that?

Another more basic test: try to power the module off , and on again while in atari terminal (icet) you might be able at least to see some garbage characters,

Edited by manterola

Yes, you should. I had problems when powering the model from SIO +5V ready. It still worked for a moment and got a lot of "error" strings in ICET.

You can try flick80.com (flicker term) and bobterm to see if it makes any difference. The other thing is the level conversion, how are you doing that?

Another more basic test: try to power the module off , and on again while in atari terminal (icet) you might be able at least to see some garbage characters,

I'm using the ESP-01 and adapter combo pictured a few posts above. I'll try flick80 and bobterm and let you know.

Does someone have a .atr of flick80 with the rverter.hnd on it?

Edited by Dropcheck

Hey Dropcheck,

Did you get garbage in ICET when powering the model off and on? That is the most basic test. You should get something first.

No change. Nothing. Is my breadboard schematic off?

I also just learned about the command to allow multiple connections on the ESP-01. Could that matter. There's a connection to the wireless network already. Could I need to enable that to allow connection to the Atari?

Edited by Dropcheck

You can try without the additional circuitry that uses the Motor signal. Just module and shift level thing. TX to SIO Din, RX to SIO Dout, Gnd to Gnd and 5v to 5v.

Once connected you shouldn't be able to use any other device in the SIO chain. So first, load the ICet program, once ready connect/power the module up. It should work. If it work and you at least see garbage, then there is a problem in the interface circuit, the one with the LS00.

If not be sure that rverter is loaded first. When in ICET you should hear a high pitch sound. If you couldn't hear try lower baud rates like 1200. That is another very basic test to know that the terminal is working

Edited by manterola

Okay.....

I tried a direct wired connection between the 1088XEL SIO Aux connector with the RX and TX crossed and straight. On one way after the initial flicker of the blue light on the ESP01 module indicating it was connecting to the wireless network, there was nothing as before. On the other way whenever there was disk access then the blue light lit indicating SIO activity on the ESP01. But still no response in ICE when I type in the AT command.

No noise or squeal either. Tried lowering the baud rate in ICE to 1200. No change.

This is how I have the Stefan Both interface wired. I've gone over it a dozen times, but I still could have missed something.

StefanBothESP8266.jpg

what is being said by manterola is to load rverter and ice-t then shut down all drives and other sio things then turn on esp8266, if I'm understanding his post correctly.. there may be device/sio contention issues until some better level issues are handled in the direct connection method currently being employed without the 1030

Here I am attaching my term programs disk images. The esp-01 is working with all of them.

Flicker80.com: the rverter is loaded automatically, but the flick80 term is not.. use L option from the DOS once to get there and type flick80.com

Icet: you will get to the dos menu. load (L) rverter.hnd after that, once back to menu dos,load (L) icet.com

Bobterm: This does everything automatically, just boot the disk.

For what you describe the rverter is not accessing the sio.. not sure.. try these disk images

if you get garbage that would be great. then just change baud, emulation and other parameters.

Flick80rverterMM.ATR

BobTermRverter1.21.atr

ICETMM.atr

Edited by manterola

Here I am attaching my term programs disk images. The esp-01 is working with all of them.

Flicker80.com: the rverter is loaded automatically, but the flick80 term is not.. use L option from the DOS once to get there and type flick80.com

Icet: you will get to the dos menu. load (L) rverter.hnd after that, once back to menu dos,load (L) icet.com

Bobterm: This does everything automatically, just boot the disk.

For what you describe the rverter is not accessing the sio.. not sure.. try these disk images

if you get garbage that would be great. then just change baud, emulation and other parameters.

Thank you Manterola, ;-)

Okay, with a direct wire connection between the 1088XEL SIO Aux Jack and the ESP8266 Adapter 4 pins With BobTermRverter1.21.atr you provided

1088XEL SIO ESP8266 adapter board with ESP01 Module installed

1. +5V 4 GND

2. GND 3 +5V

4 Data_IN (SIO pin 3) 2 TX

5 Data_OUT(SIO pin 5) 1 RX

After pulling gnd cable from ESP8266 and then plugging it back in I am getting this message in the terminal window:

Ready

WIFI Connected

WIFI Got IP

However no response to AT command

I tried flipping the Data_IN and Data_OUT lines and did not get any response when the GND cable was disconnected and reconnected.

Will check other two programs later tonight and report response.

Tried with Both circuit as assembled per previous post. No joy.

Edited by Dropcheck

However no response to AT command

I tried flipping the Data_IN and Data_OUT lines and did not get any response when the GND cable was disconnected and reconnected.

Will check other two programs later tonight and report response.

Tried with Both circuit as assembled per previous post. No joy.

Do you have the Sio2pc-usb module connected to a PC's USB port?