IGNORED

What made Nintendo go with flat cards rather than optical discs for Switch?

Prosystemsearch

It often feels like I am the only person who really likes/liked the PSP Go. Spinning UMD drives were so awful and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. My PSP Go is small, has 32GB of storage (which is a lot for PSP and PSOne games), and folds up in a nice way. 95% of the games I liked are available in the digital store, and I've learned to live without the ones on disc.

Fun fact: I have never put an optical disc into my XBOX ONE and don't intend to start. It might be broken for all I know.

And this is a bad thing?

Too bad we can't just put the games on vinyl records! :rolling:

I coulda'sworn that some company published a game on vinyl, it loaded through the cassette interface. It may have been tried as a non-bulky way of publishing it in a magazine. No thick cassette or cartridge, but a paper-thin record.

I remember those flexi-discs! A kids cereal BITD included some as a prize. The one I had was adhesive as you stuck it over a regular LP's label and was Popeye themed IIRC. Course, it only worked with manual turntables whose tonearms didn't retract that far past the run-out groove. :lol:

Wasn't aware they were also made for computers though, very cool bit of trivia!

• Like 1

Speaking of flexi-discs...

I had a few of those! Sadly no turntable but I also found videos like that on youtube as well as downloaded the MP3...here is my video of it I did back in 2010 with my real crappy camera...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTo5M6Am6jg

But anyways....I see the Switch more as a continuation of Nintendo HANDHELDS than really a new console and so they follow the rest of thier handhelds with carts instead of optical media.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

It often feels like I am the only person who really likes/liked the PSP Go. Spinning UMD drives were so awful and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. My PSP Go is small, has 32GB of storage (which is a lot for PSP and PSOne games), and folds up in a nice way. 95% of the games I liked are available in the digital store, and I've learned to live without the ones on disc.

Fun fact: I have never put an optical disc into my XBOX ONE and don't intend to start. It might be broken for all I know.

From my online impressions of it I think I would like it. I wouldn't like buying the digital games because I don't like buying digital when physical is an option. So, for physical I would just buy a PSP 3000 and UMD's. However, I would be all for downloading the whole library and/or a bunch of emulators with their full libraries. Fitting all of that gaming in a device that looks about as big as and slides open just the same as my last phone would make it very likely that I would enjoy a PSP Go.

This:

Mixed with this:

Would make it even more likely that I would enjoy and like the PSP Go.

• Like 2

PSTV with the same downloaded games and a DS4 or DS3 is a lot simpler. :-)

Maybe the reason it often feels like you are the only person who really likes/liked the PSP Go is because when someone gives you reasons why they think they may like it you still think of a rebuttal. icon_razz.gif

Anyway, does the PSTV or PS Vita hardware in general play PSP games through emulation or does PS Vita hardware have actual backwards compatibility(minus with UMD obviously)?

You're a rebuttal! :P I'm just helping out. :) PSP Go's time has come and gone; it's quite outdated now.

I think the Vita (and PSTV, which is just a screenless Vita) runs PSP software via emulation, because it can change controls, colors and resolutions. It's pretty much perfect emulation though, just like PSOne on PSP.

Good old Flojo exaggeration as always.

*fires up his PSP 3000 with a UMD disc..*

Yep, these things were and still are fine for what they are.

I did have a Go for a while and it was a good little unit. Not the most comfortable thing in the world when it came to long sessions, but it did have the benefit of making PS1 games look more natural than they did on the wider PSP screen. I couldn't justify most of the downloads of retail games though because Sony didn't bother to do much in the way of sales at the time--and when they did, they still cost more than what you could get them for on physical UMD, either new or used. So, the Go was eventually traded in and I went back to using my UMD-based model instead.

• Like 1

Not exaggeration, opinion. They're like buttholes. Everyone's got one.

I really hated those fragile, bulky things in their stupid little caddies. I was happy to buy games digitally. The PSOne Classics started at $6 new and only went down from there when they were on sale.

I'm never going back to discs, and I'd just as soon do without if a publisher doesn't offer something digitally. Fortunately for me, I think that physical media is the exception these days. Yeah yeah, someday the servers will die and I won't be able to play PSP Capcom Collection Reloaded, Tekken 6, or Wipeout Pure.

It would be cool if Sony would update the PSP/Vita line with another small device, preferably with a modern/standard power connector. It's NEVER going to happen, but if it did, I'd buy one on launch day.

You're a rebuttal! icon_razz.gif I'm just helping out. icon_smile.gif PSP Go's time has come and gone; it's quite outdated now.

Come and gone? Outdated? I'm a retro gamer...

I think the Vita (and PSTV, which is just a screenless Vita) runs PSP software via emulation, because it can change controls, colors and resolutions. It's pretty much perfect emulation though, just like PSOne on PSP.

Does the PS Vita only run PS Network downloads of PSP games through emulation or does it work if you add your own ROM's and does the PSP do the same for PS1 games? If you can add your own then do you have to also add your own emulators or are the official emulators built in somehow to work with both "official" and "unofficial" ROM's?

Anyway, what I would find appealing about the PSP Go set-up I described is that for the PSP games it wouldn't be emulating at all. It is so tiny including even the other models, it could already play ROM's without some homebrew flash cartridge, and since it is relatively new it seems kind of pointless to me to emulating it when it seems so simple to experience all the games on the original hardware. I mean, something you can fit in your pocket isn't really clutter that can be cleaned up by using emulation on other hardware instead. Anything else I may emulate on it would be like a secondary Virtual Console purpose but I would mostly be interested in playing the PSP games on an actual PSP. I also like how with that set-up I could play it on the TV or undock it like a Switch.

How does the PS1 games work if the PS1 controller has 4 shoulder buttons instead of 2? Are some games not compatible?

I'll admit that at the time the PSP Go was a turn off for me, but now I think it's a great idea-- just ahead of its time I guess.

• Like 1

Good old Flojo exaggeration as always.

*fires up his PSP 3000 with a UMD disc..*

Yep, these things were and still are fine for what they are.

I did have a Go for a while and it was a good little unit. Not the most comfortable thing in the world when it came to long sessions, but it did have the benefit of making PS1 games look more natural than they did on the wider PSP screen. I couldn't justify most of the downloads of retail games though because Sony didn't bother to do much in the way of sales at the time--and when they did, they still cost more than what you could get them for on physical UMD, either new or used. So, the Go was eventually traded in and I went back to using my UMD-based model instead.

Flojo can have her digital games. Fun fact, if you unboxed a PSP-Go today, there would be exactly zero games playable on it, without resorting to piracy or jailbreaks, because the servers are turned off.

Fun fact, if you unboxed a PSP-Go today, there would be exactly zero games playable on it, without resorting to piracy or jailbreaks, because the servers are turned off.

100% false. Anyone can buy, download, and play digital PSP games all day long. The only thing that is "turned off" is the on-device store, which sucked anyway.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/all-psp-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPALLPSPGAMES

26114-ThinkstockPhotos-516246567.1200w.t