IGNORED

Funnelweb History

Airshack

Why was Funnelweb designed to use video memory instead of expanded CPU memory like SAMS?

Hardware availability. The V9938/58 peripheral cards and the Geneve are outfitted with either 128K or 192K of video RAM. Using CPU memory would require another peripheral card (i.e., SAMS) or would require another banking scheme to retain Geneve compatibility. As it stands, Funnelweb works equally well on both TI and Geneve hardware.

There's ABASIC, MDOS, and several utilities...

If you look in whtech under advertisements, there is an official list of packaged software that was released for the Geneve... and of course, Funnelweb.

OK, but that all sounds like text mode stuff. Do we have any software that runs in V9938 modes G4-G7?

I'm quite ignorant about the Geneve. Is there any Geneve software that takes advantage of the V9938 and runs on a Ti-99/4A with V9938?

My FRACTALS program for the Geneve - I ported it back to the TI with EVPC, but I don't know whether it is working. Back in those days I did not have an EVPC to test it, and it was somewhat difficult to get hold of some people who had one. Right now I tried it in MAME, but the program relies on mouse menu operation, and as it seems, the mouse support is missing in the ti99_4ev driver (no one ever complained...).

fract20ti.dsk

OK, but that all sounds like text mode stuff. Do we have any software that runs in V9938 modes G4-G7?

I'm quite ignorant about the Geneve. Is there any Geneve software that takes advantage of the V9938 and runs on a Ti-99/4A with V9938?

YAPP (Yet Another Paint Program) might be worth a look. Most 9938 software was indeed text mode (Funnelweb, Multiplan was patched for 80 columns). There's a GIF viewer on WHTECH.

It does beg the question if there's a list of 9938 software.

G99 - AKA "GIF File Translator" (EA Opt 3 program)

Funnelweb (80-column editor, Disk Review)

YAPP - Yet Another Paint Program

That, of course, doesn't count the Geneve software that also takes advantage of the advanced graphics, like My-Art and ABASIC.

Text mode is pretty fast, but I've not seen a lot of 4A 9938 graphics demos that I'd call fast by any means. Presumably, that's why we never saw games and such using the advanced graphics modes.

Yea tried to use FW in Classic99 and it will not load the DV 80 Files like it did on my TIM Card with 192K VDP.

Crashes and says not enough memory so..... so much for using FW like I used to.

Was hoping it would not crash, also even if you load a smaller file in FW Editor that fits the SD option of Catalog a disk crashes and locks up Classic99.

So sad, guess FW 80 Column is a dead issue.

Additionally, with all the brilliant hardware stuff that has been happening lately, what would be the holdup in another production run of the TIM card?

Getting a decent supply of 9938s.

I second MESS. Classic99 doesn't exist for nostalgia, it exists for development, and I don't intend to support 9938 hardware, so I don't have much drive to implement it (Just Bob's occasional reminder ;) ). If you just want to run your old stuff, use MESS. If MESS doesn't meet your needs, that's not Classic99's failing. ;)

• Like 1

I seem to recall there WERE some special features of the Funnelweb 80-column editor. I'm not sure if it let you have > 1 file in memory, but it might have. I know the text buffer is a lot larger because of the extra video RAM it used. There were help screens. And "All Chars" mode, which let you type foreign-language letters and certain graphical symbols. What I'm not really sure about is if those features were only in the 80-column V5 editor, or if some were also applied to the 40-column editor.

The Funnelweb system itself stopped at v4.4 I believe, but the editors continued receiving improvements (that's why the version 5 editor can be found inside later editions of version 4 of Funnelweb).

Disk Review is nice...it's great to sector-edit in 80 columns.

Edited by etownandy
  • Like 1

I don't have the issue numbers and dates off the top of my head, but the Lima UG newsletter has some good reviews of the features of Funnelweb. My guess would be sometime around 1990-1992 might be good places to start, and probably close to May, as it got pretty common for a new version of Funnelweb to be released at around the time of the MUG Conferences.

DISREGARD. I couldn't help myself, so I went to go look. Feb 93 has a review of the V5 editor. There's also a letter from Tony McGovern that's an interesting read.

You can have > 1 file in memory. Help screens are automatically loaded to the "second screen." The Programmer Editor mode has an Assembly help screen. BUT you can only edit one. The other buffers are for viewing, except the fifth, the STore, which sort of acts like an Edit->Copy style clipboard.

One new feature in V5 that existed for both 40 and 80 column editors was the ability to PrintFile to Dis/Fix 128 format, which MS-DOS could read.

Edited by etownandy
  • Like 1