IGNORED

PlayStation TV any good? (Offline)

Yes, maybe.

Problem is Sony put up this really childish list of blacklisted games. Some of them are legit, they require touch to work right which the thing lacks, though given it's bluetooth capable you'd think they'd fix that due to the PS4 controllers years ago but didn't.

As it stands I think they still support what you're specifically after, but for how long I don't know. So beyond that it leaves you with the Vita library.

This leaves you two choices.

1) Go look at what won't work, check the games, see what you're into or think you would be. Would that justify it?

2) Look up PS TV 'White List' as it's a stupid easy hack requiring basically just email shenanigans and not allowing further firmware updates. This allows basically any blacklisted game to be whitelisted, including the really stupidly blocked Uncharted title. In that case basically the entire Vita library minus a few gimmick touchy feely titles are within your grasp.

There are a few exceptions, but very few. Generally, you have to use a Dual Shock 3 or 4. I think there's a Mayflash Universal Adapter that broadens your options a bit, but it's at least $25.

If you're buying this for emulation, my suggestion would be to get an Android TV. The MiBox is $69 and it's easier to install emulators, plus you can expand the storage with an ordinary flash drive and use a wider selection of controllers (Bluetooth or wired). On the down side, nearly all emulators for Android devices have to be purchased, and many won't work on an Android TV. The better ones are compatible, though.

Edited by Jess Ragan

There are a few exceptions, but very few. Generally, you have to use a Dual Shock 3 or 4. I think there's a Mayflash Universal Adapter that broadens your options a bit, but it's at least $25.

If you're buying this for emulation, my suggestion would be to get an Android TV. The MiBox is $69 and it's easier to install emulators, plus you can expand the storage with an ordinary flash drive and use a wider selection of controllers (Bluetooth or wired). On the down side, nearly all emulators for Android devices have to be purchased, and many won't work on an Android TV. The better ones are compatible, though.

Emulation is definitely a factor, though the main draw for me is PSone classics and PSP games. If the emulation is there for those on the Android device then that's awesome. If not, hmmmm.... I'll sleep on it. :)

For what it's capable when hacked, I cant see why a gamer wouldn't want it. It can run Vita VPKs (Vita ROMs), PSP ISOs, all the emulation classics (some now, some I'm sure in the future. A hack achieved the capability to use its USB port for external drives. I got one at launch. I think they're only like $35-$40 now.

I bought a PSTV last year when they were on sale for $39 bundled with the DS3 controller and the 8GB stick. Basically I just wanted to play TxK (Tempest). I spent probably another $30 on several other games including Lumines and Resogun. Didn't even fill the 8GB card that came with it.

But I had a plan, I just wanted to play several specific PSN / Vita games. Going into it I knew there were tons of Vita games like Gravity Rush that didn't work and lots of my favorite PS1 and PSP games aren't available. But I read up on it ahead of time so I knew what to expect. I spent maybe $70 total and even a year later am very happy with it.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about getting a PS TV as they're getting really cheap. This is solely for playing PSP and PSone classics. I'm wondering if it's still supported. Also I've heard gripes about input lag but guess that can be remedied through TV settings. Your thoughts? Thanks

It's worth it for cheap. The little thing does a lot, but with lots of caveats. It will play some PSP and PSone. Check the official and unofficial compatibility lists- The unofficial one lists many more games that work than the Sony list.

Lag problems are mostly on PS4 remote play. Any other lag would be related to the TVs lag as you said.

It's not officially supported by Sony anymore.

For what it's capable when hacked, I cant see why a gamer wouldn't want it. It can run Vita VPKs (Vita ROMs), PSP ISOs, all the emulation classics (some now, some I'm sure in the future. A hack achieved the capability to use its USB port for external drives. I got one at launch. I think they're only like $35-$40 now.

I've had one for a long time, I didn't know about the hacks available, I'll look into it :)

I'm thinking about getting a PS TV as they're getting really cheap. This is solely for playing PSP and PSone classics. I'm wondering if it's still supported. Also I've heard gripes about input lag but guess that can be remedied through TV settings. Your thoughts? Thanks

Here's my favorite compatibility list for PSP and PSOne games on the Vita, most of which still works on the PSTV.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281768-complete-list-of-pspminispsone-games-playable-on-vita/page-1

Note that some Vita games with touch controls won't show up, but I get the sense you're more into the oldies.

• Like 1

Emulation is definitely a factor, though the main draw for me is PSone classics and PSP games. If the emulation is there for those on the Android device then that's awesome. If not, hmmmm.... I'll sleep on it. :)

There is, but your mileage may vary. PSOne games run, although I've got two emulators on my MiBox, in case a certain game won't work with the first. PSP games run, but the more demanding ones require frame skip.