IGNORED

Analogue NT Mini Hardware

Radfoo

The FPGA thread started by Kevtris is getting a bit busy, recent topics have included debates on CRT/LCD, the included 8BITDO controller, Analogue NT Minis RGB out and the PSU, thought those kind of issues could be discussed here instead?

Original thread -

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-1

and Kevins comment on the thread -

I am just the guy that did the PCB/code. As such I cannot handle Analogue support in this thread (and contractually I cannot either). Not trying to be an asshat about it but I can't really comment on it unfortunately. Another thread on it would probably be a good idea along with suggested fixes/solutions.

Now, if the problem isn't a problem with the system itself I can and have helped on that, like actual software bugs and misunderstandings of how things work or whatever. But for hardware issues and such I can't really help with those since it is out of my realm so to speak. Sorry about that.

Edited by Radfoo
  • Like 3

ok I'll put my reply here..

I hear it from my sofa 4 meters from the unit and the adapter is in a closed cabinet.

Mine makes a noise too.. but definitely not that loud. It has a very slight hissing sound that the room has to be entirely quiet to even hear. Still though.. the fact that it even is making noise is kinda odd.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgx9aul6cfecmfv/2017-03-15%2022.35.51.mov?dl=0

I hear it from my sofa 4 meters from the unit and the adapter is in a closed cabinet.

Mine makes a noise too.. but definitely not that loud. It has a very slight hissing sound that the room has to be entirely quiet to even hear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgx9aul6cfecmfv/2017-03-15%2022.35.51.mov?dl=0

I'm currently saving my allowance for one. (yes, I still have an allowance)

I'm overhearing rumblings in the other thread of issues with red and the RGB out. Is this widespread?

It's important to me since 1080p won't be around forever, and I'll probably want to run rgb into whatever the scaler of the day is for my future 4-terapixel, mega-HD floatscreen.

Good that's a separate thread for the actual hardware.

Would be nice if Analogue had a official support forum, anyway..

Thinking about the analogue RGB connector, again..

Are ground connected to the chassie on the DB15 connector? For RGB cable, are the chassie on the contact grounded?

I posted this on the other tpic sorry. Copy/paste here:

What kind of AC adapter is used at the analogue nt mini? How many volts/amps?
I didn't found it at the PDF spects...
Maybe have to buy another from another brand (like Leicke at Europe) with protection and good efficiency.
And..
One question about the VGA-to-EuroSCART. For the RGB cable schematics it uses the USB to activate the RGB (1v/3v EuroSCART-Pin16 - blanking) at the CRT-TV. I see that the sync configuration has to be setted to "sync on composite" (this output csync on VGA-Pin13 H-SYNC).
But.. Can we get this 1v/3v from VGA V-SYNC, or is this disabled when the sync configuration has to be setted to "sync on composite"? For getting the blanking RGB at CRT-TV like this schema:

VGA VSYNC To RGB EuroSCART Pin16

The Nexus: Projects - VGA to SCART Converter - [2]
Just curiosity!

I posted this on the other tpic sorry. Copy/paste here:

What kind of AC adapter is used at the analogue nt mini? How many volts/amps?

I didn't found it at the PDF spects...

Maybe have to buy another from another brand (like Leicke at Europe) with protection and good efficiency.

And..

One question about the VGA-to-EuroSCART. For the RGB cable schematics it uses the USB to activate the RGB (1v/3v EuroSCART-Pin16 - blanking) at the CRT-TV. I see that the sync configuration has to be setted to "sync on composite" (this output csync on VGA-Pin13 H-SYNC).

But.. Can we get this 1v/3v from VGA V-SYNC, or is this disabled when the sync configuration has to be setted to "sync on composite"? For getting the blanking RGB at CRT-TV like this schema:

The Nexus: Projects - VGA to SCART Converter - [2]

http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/voltage_from_vsync/view

Just curiosity!

its a 12v 1A powersupply centerpin positive 5.5*2.5mm connector

Finally got mine yesterday and messed around with it some. Some thoughts:

• I had the worst time getting it to boot up at first, though after updating the firmware it's much better.
  • The controller is OK as long as you don't need to go down :) But yeah, I can see how that's a problem. I'm going to see if I can source some original NES gamepads this weekend.
  • There is a noise coming from the power supply, but I probably would never have noticed it had others not commented on it. Not a dealbreaker for me, but I may replace it regardless.
  • I've only used component output so far on a 20" PVM and 27" Panasonic TV. Looks fantastic on both. Need to try HDMI tonight.

I installed the latest jailbreak software and checked out the NES, 2600 and 7800 cores. I've never been a Nintendo fan myself, but I'm familiar enough with the NES that playing a couple of levels of SMB2 put a stupid grin on my face. So far I am very pleased with my purchase.

Good that's a separate thread for the actual hardware.
Would be nice if Analogue had a official support forum, anyway..

You might try https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/community/topics- though it's not very active.

• Like 1

Finally got mine yesterday and messed around with it some. Some thoughts:

• I had the worst time getting it to boot up at first, though after updating the firmware it's much better.
  • The controller is OK as long as you don't need to go down :) But yeah, I can see how that's a problem. I'm going to see if I can source some original NES gamepads this weekend.
  • There is a noise coming from the power supply, but I probably would never have noticed it had others not commented on it. Not a dealbreaker for me, but I may replace it regardless.
  • I've only used component output so far on a 20" PVM and 27" Panasonic TV. Looks fantastic on both. Need to try HDMI tonight.
I installed the latest jailbreak software and checked out the NES, 2600 and 7800 cores. I've never been a Nintendo fan myself, but I'm familiar enough with the NES that playing a couple of levels of SMB2 put a stupid grin on my face. So far I am very pleased with my purchase.

You might try https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/community/topics- though it's not very active.

tried to post there now but its pending right now.

Just had a quick look at the analogue output video. Have only been able to try RGB with synch on green with the cables I can find at the moment but i think its a TV or TV settings issue.

Eg.

If you were to send an RGB signal to a monitor expecting S-Video you would get a black and white image

If you were to send an RGB signal to a monitor expecting Component you would get the red image others have been describing.

I need to do a bit more testing, no time until sunday/monday but does this sound right?

Edited by Radfoo

Just had a quick look at the analogue output video. Have only been able to try RGB with synch on green with the cables I can find at the moment but i think its a TV or TV settings issue.

Eg.

If you were to send an RGB signal to a monitor expecting S-Video you would get a black and white image

If you were to send an RGB signal to a monitor expecting Component you would get the red image others have been describing.

I need to do a bit more testing, no time until sunday/monday but does this sound right?

If you send an RGB signal to a monitor expecting component, you will get flicker and rolling image rather than Redish?

Spent a bit more time on this than I planned but can confirm my NT mini is working correctly, ordered mine in the second batch.

Realised I already had a cable almost perfect for the job, as a test I just had to quickly wire up 3volts worth of batteries to pin 16 of the SCART connector to switch it over to RGB. Tried on my LCD and an old CRT TV and both worked great, the CRT image was particularly lovely.

Also played a bit more with the other RGB cable I was using earlier, turns out I was wiring that up to a socket on the TV that would only take component and s-video so explains why I could not get it to RGB! Anyway what I said before still stands, on my TV with RGB out with a TV expecting component I get a red image and when the TV is set to S-Video I get black and white - sorry if this is a red herring.

I don't know if it helps but this is the cable I have successfully used for RGB on my SCART TVs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-TO-SCART-RGB-1-6-METERS-SOUND-JACK-EUROCONECTOR-for-JAMMA-ARCADE-system-/141494166641?hash=item20f1b5a471:g:phIAAOSwaNBUfz2k

I ordered it from that seller back in 2012, only remembered I had it about an hour ago, lol. Anyway, should only take me a few minutes to wire up a USB socket to the power connector so should work quite nicely.

Spent a bit more time on this than I planned but can confirm my NT mini is working correctly, ordered mine in the second batch.

Realised I already had a cable almost perfect for the job, as a test I just had to quickly wire up 3volts worth of batteries to pin 16 of the SCART connector to switch it over to RGB. Tried on my LCD and an old CRT TV and both worked great, the CRT image was particularly lovely.

Also played a bit more with the other RGB cable I was using earlier, turns out I was wiring that up to a socket on the TV that would only take component and s-video so explains why I could not get it to RGB! Anyway what I said before still stands, on my TV with RGB out with a TV expecting component I get a red image and when the TV is set to S-Video I get black and white - sorry if this is a red herring.

I don't know if it helps but this is the cable I have successfully used for RGB on my SCART TVs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-TO-SCART-RGB-1-6-METERS-SOUND-JACK-EUROCONECTOR-for-JAMMA-ARCADE-system-/141494166641?hash=item20f1b5a471:g:phIAAOSwaNBUfz2k

I ordered it from that seller back in 2012, only remembered I had it about an hour ago, lol. Anyway, should only take me a few minutes to wire up a USB socket to the power connector so should work quite nicely.

Got a cable from retrogamingcables that i have checked like 10 times to the specification on analogue site.

I get a disorted red when i dont use caps. with caps i get sharp blueish picture.

got 220uF in your cable on r,g and b?

Check out this video. Its comprehensive and thoroughly goes over video settings.

The 6x5x works pretty well for NES and SMS but 7800 and others seemed off to me. Where are the pixel purists when we need them!? lol

Edited by simbin

got 220uF in your cable on r,g and b?

I'll see if I can check tomorrow evening. From memory there was one component behind insulation tape so i'm guessing one capacitor, not sure which pin without looking, could also see a few resistors.

Edit - distorted red is what I was getting when the TV was set to component but the NT Mini was sending out RGB. What kind of TV/Monitors are you using? I tested on a 5 year old Panasonic LCD and a 10 year old Philips CRT.

Edited by Radfoo

The 6x5x works pretty well for NES and SMS but 7800 and others seemed off to me. Where are the pixel purists when we need them!? lol

NES have 256 pixel width. SMS have 320 pixel width and 7800 have nominally 160 pixel width, but 320 in certain select games.

So SMS pixels are narrower by default than NES pixels, hence the 6x setting doesn't look right. SMS would look good with square pixels, while 7800/2600 would look correct with 2 wide / 1 high pixels (technically the exact ratio for Atari on a vintage display is closer to 1:1.9 but I digress), except 7800 in 320 mode which should be 1:1.

TL;DR Try 5x5 mode for SMS and 7800.

One more minor detail, certain 7800 games (Tower Toppler) use dithering at 320p to create false coloring. These modes will not display correctly on any signal quality higher than NTSC composite video. Expect Tower Toppler and Jinx to look like ass over anything but composite. The NT Mini does not have the hardware to simulate chroma blending sadly so HDMI or RGB/Component/Svideo will look very bad on these games.

NES have 256 pixel width. SMS have 320 pixel width and 7800 have nominally 160 pixel width, but 320 in certain select games.

So SMS pixels are narrower by default than NES pixels, hence the 6x setting doesn't look right. SMS would look good with square pixels, while 7800/2600 would look correct with 2 wide / 1 high pixels (technically the exact ratio for Atari on a vintage display is closer to 1:1.9 but I digress), except 7800 in 320 mode which should be 1:1.

TL;DR Try 5x5 mode for SMS and 7800.

One more minor detail, certain 7800 games (Tower Toppler) use dithering at 320p to create false coloring. These modes will not display correctly on any signal quality higher than NTSC composite video. Expect Tower Toppler and Jinx to look like ass over anything but composite. The NT Mini does not have the hardware to simulate chroma blending sadly so HDMI or RGB/Component/Svideo will look very bad on these games.

SMS does look better at 5x5 but 7800 is quite a bit wider than the rest. I've never had a 7800 though, so maybe that's how it's supposed to look?

SMS does look better at 5x5 but 7800 is quite a bit wider than the rest. I've never had a 7800 though, so maybe that's how it's supposed to look?

Atari games normally have 160 h-resolution, but 7800 have a hi-res 320 mode that's rarely used.

2600 pixels are extremely rectangular by default. In fact the blocky graphics, beeps, and farts are somewhat an aquired taste for seasoned Nintendo era veterans. 5 pixels tall and 9 pixels wide would be a pretty good ratio for 2600 display IMO.

I thought SMS had a resolution of 256 × 192 (same horizontal resolution as NES)? Scaling SMS at 5x height by 6x width looks good to me. 5x by 5x looks awfully skinny, but I don't have much prior experience with SMS.
says "256 × 192 resolution, 32 colors on-screen"
I agree that 5x by 5x looks good for 7800.
Edited by cacophony

I'll see if I can check tomorrow evening. From memory there was one component behind insulation tape so i'm guessing one capacitor, not sure which pin without looking, could also see a few resistors.

Edit - distorted red is what I was getting when the TV was set to component but the NT Mini was sending out RGB. What kind of TV/Monitors are you using? I tested on a 5 year old Panasonic LCD and a 10 year old Philips CRT.

I have tried the RGB scart on a B&O, noname 20 inch (that works great with RGB with NESRGB, SNES, Genesis, PCE etc) and I tried in my Samsung 55 inch LCD that have a RGB scart input. All showing blue/greenish colors.

The main thing here: If I disconnect the Red cable I get exactly the same result.

In short, the Red signal is not there.