IGNORED

Analogue NT Mini Hardware

Radfoo

Not sure how to go about doing that. I'm not a deft hand with a soldering iron and don't know my way around electronics; I'm just an end-user with a very slight bit of know-how: a software guy, not a hardware guy. Even if I did know how there's no way I trust myself to do anything to the NT mini.

Not sure how to go about doing that. I'm not a deft hand with a soldering iron and don't know my way around electronics; I'm just an end-user with a very slight bit of know-how: a software guy, not a hardware guy. Even if I did know how there's no way I trust myself to do anything to the NT mini.

What kind of cables do you use ?

Because you must trigger diffrent modes depending what videomode you want.

When you want composite or svhs pin 5 in the vga contact must be connected to ground or pin 4 to trigger composite.

I used the Analogue-suggested Monoprice VGA->Component cable, and a more generic convertor for S-vid/Composite as I couldn't find any Monoprice ones in the UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064XJ5SA/

Maybe that is the problem test with a multimeter between pin 4 and 5 and see if there i contact on the composite cable. Or if pin 5 is in contact with ground.

Edited by Jimjans

This would be invaluable for myself, as I'm stuck with a defective unit, but given I'm in the UK I can't afford to ship it to America and back just to get it repaired. In my case, it thinks my Component YPbPr cables as Composite/S-vid, and none of my TVs accept the signal (I have to use my XRGB-mini). Here's an image of what it looks like when using the Component cables running through the XRGB-mini https://i.imgur.com/1DloQlt.png

I straight-up can't figure out what it thinks my Composite/S-vid cable is, as no TV I have, nor the XRGB-mini, will accept it.

I've tried all varieties of sync and standard, but have just had no luck getting it working properly.

It seems like a all the signals are there. Looks like a crisp picture. As suggested. The wrong detection pin has been grounded aswell?

Actually I measured the values, did not remember exactly the values but I got similar values on Green and Blue. Red was significant higher, like 2x the voltage. (1.5v maybe)

And if I connected the Red into my TV the result was exactly the same as if was disconnected. The pin1 was not totaly dead, but the signal was... non existent?

Okay, so this means it might be a processing / logic error rather than a simple broken connection. A logic analyzer would likely be necessary to figure out what type of signal it is, if present. The presence of a 3.58Mhz subcarrier or colorburst would indicate a composite NTSC signal.

If it is sending an invalid signal (or the wrong type) to the TV, then it won't work or display will be messed up. Odd that composite is located on the red channel. Generally with modern TVs with hybrid composite/component inputs, the composite is shared with the green or luma channel. The red and blue cables must be disconnected from the TV when feeding composite into a hybrid connection or it will detect it as component instead, resulting in a grainy grayscale picture.

I have no idea about RGB or SCART connections as they are rare in the US (outside of commercial grade PVM monitors) and I've never owned a display that supported it. My understanding is RGB requires additional connections for Vsync and Hsync, whereas these signals are baked into the Luma channel in component connections.

Okay, so this means it might be a processing / logic error rather than a simple broken connection. A logic analyzer would likely be necessary to figure out what type of signal it is, if present. The presence of a 3.58Mhz subcarrier or colorburst would indicate a composite NTSC signal.

If it is sending an invalid signal (or the wrong type) to the TV, then it won't work or display will be messed up. Odd that composite is located on the red channel. Generally with modern TVs with hybrid composite/component inputs, the composite is shared with the green or luma channel. The red and blue cables must be disconnected from the TV when feeding composite into a hybrid connection or it will detect it as component instead, resulting in a grainy grayscale picture.

I have no idea about RGB or SCART connections as they are rare in the US (outside of commercial grade PVM monitors) and I've never owned a display that supported it. My understanding is RGB requires additional connections for Vsync and Hsync, whereas these signals are baked into the Luma channel in component connections.

Im no expert in analogue signals but wheb using RGB on my SFC,PCE, MD Ill use composite signal as the sync.

In my understanding using either Vsync or Hsync for sync-signal will work on nt mini.

Either way, its easy to see which signal is gone.

Perhaps the only real way to get reliable cables is to follow the online pinout diagrams and simply buy the Dsub header and hood from the Shack (if you're lucky enough to still have one in your area) and a few shielded RCA cables, and just roll your own cables. If I owned an Analogue NT for testing, I might offer hand rolled component and composite + Svideo cables as a service. It appears at least some 3rd party cables do not have the proper ground termination to output proper modes.

The price of entry shouldn't be rolling your own cables, and you can't find an electronics shop that's actually useful around my area for hell nor high water. As I've said before, I'm worthless at soldering. We know that some of the NT minis have defective D-SUB connectors, so why are we assuming that it's the cable that's the issue when one of the cables I'm using is the exact one that they say you should use. I'll test continuity on the component cable to the best of my ability but I can't promise anything.

• Like 1

Dont try to start a topic in the Analogue support thread they dont publish it, at least if its not a positive one.

My two topics I tried to start about the nes30 controller and the buzzing power supply is not pending anymore they are deleted.

You cant even post in a existing thread without approval good forum they have.

Edited by Jimjans

For a 500US$ premium console it's disappointing the level of (un)support.

I told you that you were paying for the aluminum milled case instead of what matters (support being one of the key aspects obviously).

To be fair let's give them time to correct their behavior. Hopefully kevtris retained the rights to release his cores (NES included) on any platform he may build in the future.

• Like 1

Typically behavior I guess. Still pretty lousy, I hate it when companies censor customer issues like that. It is a serious turn off. I hope that when the Z3K comes out it will be manufactured and marketed by someone else other than Analogue. Unless they change their ways??

For a 500US$ premium console it's disappoitning the levelof (un)support.

I told you that you were paying for the aluminum milled case instead of what matters (support being one of the key aspects obviously).

To be fair let's give them time to correct their behavior. Hopefully kevtris retained the rights to release his cores (NES included) on any platform he may build in the future.

100% correct. He better have. Because right now Analogue isn't scoring any points with me. Not when they go deleting a legitimate customer issue from their forums.

Looks like the decision to hold off on getting one of these was correct.

• Like 1

Typically behavior I guess. Still pretty lousy, I hate it when companies censor customer issues like that. It is a serious turn off. I hope that when the Z3K comes out it will be manufactured and marketed by someone else other than Analogue. Unless they change their ways??

I'm grateful community-driven websites like atariage still exist. Censorship ruins everything.

I'm glad I held off, too, and didn't cancel my AVS preorder. Kevtris' amazing work is the only reason the NT mini was in my radar.

Kevtris is the reason I justified my purchase. Even if he isn't paid a percentage of sales, I'll continue submitting bugs and feedback to help improve future projects.

Re my ongoing dissapoitment with the 8bitdo controller's crosstalk when using a second retro receiver:

I wonder if there would be a way to reassign controller port order via firmware; i.e., make controller ports 1 and 2 resolve to physical ports 1 and 4 (and if that little space might be enough to alleviate some of the interference...)?

I've purchased a NES extension cord but it's DOA, I wonder how hard it's going to be to find a functional one or some other wireless solution for the nt mini. This de-facto wired controller requirement really sucks.

I've purchased a NES extension cord but it's DOA, I wonder how hard it's going to be to find a functional one or some other wireless solution for the nt mini. This de-facto wired controller requirement really sucks.

How is that so? The NT-Mini requires a wired controller??

I wonder if there would be a way to reassign controller port order via firmware; i.e., make controller ports 1 and 2 resolve to physical ports 1 and 4 (and if that little space might be enough to alleviate some of the interference...)?

Great idea! I'm curious about this too. Personally use wired controllers, but this could help a lot of people.

What about a piece of aluminum foil, the size of an index card, placed between the two transmitters?

Do two wireless 8bitdo controllers work on a real NES?

I won't lie, aluminum foil has crossed my mind... I'd like something more elegant, but, if push comes to shove, I'll try it.

As to 8bitdo controllers working on a real NES, I haven't tried, but I see plenty of comments that this problem exists with the RetroUSB AVS. I'm confident that the problem is interference/crosstalk (and not the hardware), I just wish that I could get 8bitdo to respond to my e-mails... I want to know from them if there is a solution; for that matter, it seems that if they offered advanced controls in their firmware updater, they might be able to allow the user to pre-select a narrower band of the BT spectrum to use for each reviewer to prevent crosstalk. Between a band-section selection option and possibly the ability to move the retro receiver from p2 to p4, maybe that'd be good enough to fix the problem... maybe.

In the meantime, I got a different NES extension cable from a friend at it seems to have solved the problem for me... I'd still greatly prefer a more elegant solution, but, at least this works. (which also speaks to the problem being exactly what I/we think).

8bitdo seems like a real POS company when it comes to customer support too... 8bitdo and Analogue. A marriage made in Branson.

• Like 1

For a 500US$ premium console it's disappointing the level of (un)support.

To be fair they shipped another complete unit without receiving the problem child first.

Resolved within 48 hours. I'd say that's well within a "reasonable expectation".

I'm gonna go ahead and call this GREAT customer service.

I'm a bit embarrased for getting panicky.