IGNORED

Analogue NT Mini Hardware

Radfoo

I feel pretty confident the answer to my question is no but I'll ask it anyway. I'm interested in getting some Japanese games but wanted to know if the Analogue NT Mini had anyway of applying .ips or .ups translation files. There are a few out there I'd like to get and play. I know I can get them in rom hacks but the OCD in me would like to play it from the game. I know the retron 5 can do this but looking for alternative options to that.

Also this would be a nice feature to add the Zimba 3000 if at all possible.

I feel pretty confident the answer to my question is no but I'll ask it anyway. I'm interested in getting some Japanese games but wanted to know if the Analogue NT Mini had anyway of applying .ips or .ups translation files. There are a few out there I'd like to get and play. I know I can get them in rom hacks but the OCD in me would like to play it from the game. I know the retron 5 can do this but looking for alternative options to that.

Also this would be a nice feature to add the Zimba 3000 if at all possible.

You would need to use the jailbreak firmware and run the entire ROM off the SD card. This isn't a Retron5 level YAEB (yet another emulation box) where it dumps the game prior to emulation and optionally applies the patch to it; the game is played directly off the cart using the FPGA, so injecting a patch on real hardware would be a pretty tall order without some Game Genie like cheat device translating the code as it streams off the cart.

You could (A) run the patched ROM directly off the SD card (you can even use the built in CopyNES to dump the original game cart and patch it yourself using a PC, if you're concerned with downloading ROMs off the internet), (B) have a repro made, or (C ) import Famicom games with English menus or that contain simple enough mechanics so that you don't need to understand Japanese to play them. Many platformers and SHMUPs you can figure out quite easily without instructions.

• Like 1

You would need to use the jailbreak firmware and run the entire ROM off the SD card. This isn't a Retron5 level YAEB (yet another emulation box) where it dumps the game prior to emulation and optionally applies the patch to it; the game is played directly off the cart using the FPGA, so injecting a patch on real hardware would be a pretty tall order without some Game Genie like cheat device translating the code as it streams off the cart.

You could (A) run the patched ROM directly off the SD card (you can even use the built in CopyNES to dump the original game cart and patch it yourself using a PC, if you're concerned with downloading ROMs off the internet), (B) have a repro made, or (C ) import Famicom games with English menus or that contain simple enough mechanics so that you don't need to understand Japanese to play them. Many platformers and SHMUPs you can figure out quite easily without instructions.

That completely answered my question and expanded on it. I think I will do the SD route. I like to collect and play carts but understandably not always an option.

Already have the analogue not mini and love it.

"Not" Mini as in the original full size version? Or was that a typo?

FYI, the jailbreak firmware only works on the mini, not the original. The original NT was basically pulled NES chips on a custom new motherboard, with either the HiDef NES expansion mod or the RGB mod. To play these ROM hacks on an older NT model (or an original NES) you'll need a Powerpak or Everdrive.

Anyway glad I could help.

Good news!
I'm waiting if your RGB issue is solved to order the nt mini.
I hope the new ones are good, and they will do a triple RGB check for both: abroad (overseas) users as us and local :)

Another update!

Got my Nt Mini today and the RGB outputs perfectly now. Fast return shipping from Analogue.

Noticed that they replaced the power-brick aswell. No sound issues from this one. The only thing with this is that it did not had other than US power-sticks. Had some adapters laying around, so no problem there. Accepts 100-240VAC.

Really really pleased with my unit now.

• Like 1

Another update!

Got my Nt Mini today and the RGB outputs perfectly now. Fast return shipping from Analogue.

Noticed that they replaced the power-brick aswell. No sound issues from this one. The only thing with this is that it did not had other than US power-sticks. Had some adapters laying around, so no problem there. Accepts 100-240VAC.

Good new!

I'm glad that the new one works perfectly :)

Do you use the same VGA-SCART cable from Retrogamingcables.co.uk or the cable from Monoprice.com?

Good new!

I'm glad that the new one works perfectly :)

Do you use the same VGA-SCART cable from Retrogamingcables.co.uk or the cable from Monoprice.com?

Indeed, a great relief.

Using the VGA-Scart from retrogamingcables.co.uk. Contacted Rob to confirm that his cables are fully functional.

"Not" Mini as in the original full size version? Or was that a typo?

FYI, the jailbreak firmware only works on the mini, not the original. The original NT was basically pulled NES chips on a custom new motherboard, with either the HiDef NES expansion mod or the RGB mod. To play these ROM hacks on an older NT model (or an original NES) you'll need a Powerpak or Everdrive.

Anyway glad I could help.

Another update!

Pleased you got it sorted, now to play some fun games!

Glad they are fixing people's issues. I still say that Analogue should sell the necessary RGB / component / composite / cables through their website, even if they cost extra in addition to the NT Mini. I imagine they are aware of issues now and testing the analog ports on consoles prior to shipping out.

Maybe worth mentioning in case anyone else is having difficulty with crosstalk when using their nt mini with the pack-in 8bitdo controller and a second player 8bitdo controller; I was able to get in touch with 8bitdo via Facebook messenger and we've been going back and forth about the two player problem... That said, they sent me new beta firmware to test... the new firmware is an improvement but it's not a complete solution... yet... I'll drop another post on here if they are somehow able to provide a software solution (don't know if it's even technically feasible), but they're making an effort and here's hoping they can come up with a solution...

For now, if you've got two controllers working except for occasional un-pairing, the firmware they sent me might be of use. Let me know if you want a link...

Yes! I'm waiting stock for the black nt mini. Because they are sold out!
I hope will be soon!

Are they? When I checked just now its not flagged as sold out. Maybe it says so when doing the actual purchase.

I was able to order my black mini when it was sold out, dont know why. The order came in to Analogue as an error. :)

Was playing my old Gameboy library yesterday. Sooo much easier than I rememered it. Or maybe it was harder to play on the original Gameboy.. chasing the perfect light source. :)

I dont have any regrets in the world that I brought one. Thinking about selling my NESRGB modded AV-famicom.

I wonder who will sell the cart-adapters for the Nt Mini, Jason on gametech?

Are they? When I checked just now its not flagged as sold out. Maybe it says so when doing the actual purchase.

I was able to order my black mini when it was sold out, dont know why. The order came in to Analogue as an error. :)

Yes. It appears at the basket as stock, but later at the checkout displays "sold out". White units are in stock.
I contacted to them if is an issue but they answered me that is correct.
Just waiting for the announcement :)

Does anyone have issues with player2 port?

Tried it first time today. Was about to play 2 player with my son, Ice Climber. Player 2 cant do anything than jump, just A-button works. Changed to normal, 4-score and fami four. No difference. Tried acual cart and from rom. Tried to swap the controller to check if it was an controller issue, but it was port2.

Did I miss something?

Cant stand another HW fail.

Having no luck downloading the NT Jailbreak pack for some reason. It just sits in the 'queue' and never changes. I have downloaded other packs in the past. Hm..

Tried Edge, Opera and Chrome.

Same.. something seems up with Mega today and yesterday, although it's working for others using jdownloader,

I ended up just using the filefactory mirror. It's a lot slower but works off the bat.