IGNORED

New HRDs

Opry99er

What would be the difficulty in designing or producing new RAMDisks? I know the market is slowly fading away, what with HDX, Lotharek, and the FR99 and FG99...

I have a desire to run Funnelweb with a RAMDisk again, but legacy hardware from Horizon is never reasonably priced enough for me on eBay.

I know schematics exist... would this be less expensive now, with RAM being so cheap? Perhaps we could even eliminate the need for a battery with flash technology. Thoughts?

Actually, I have the rights to produce new Horizon RAMdisks (Bud Mills passed that torch to me about three months before he passed away)--and I am working on doing a newer layout for one. It is just behind a few of the other things on my multitudinous list of projects. . .

• Like 4

I have a horizon ramdisk and am always amazed by it whenever I use it. I don't get to turn my TI on as much as I would like and it never ceases to impress me that it retains its contents despite the infrequent battery charges.

I would be tempted by a modern one with higher capacity though.

It will be at a minimum, equivalent to an HRD 4000. I've been working with the Insane One to allow it to use his updated DSR and work like a single huge disk, instead of as a number of smaller ones. . .that also opens the way to disks well beyond 8M in size.

Ahhh.... Will there be a way to partition it into smaller drives, or will it just be like a nano HD?

Part of the appeal of the HRD for me is being able to have multiple "disks" for multiple projects. :D

With the TI and ROS 8.34, ten disks are supported. Each disk may be configured to a maximum size of 3200 sectors (800K) for a total 8MB worth of information. This is double the capacity of ROS 8.14F. One caveat is that if your RAMDisk needs to be reloaded, 8MB is a lot of data to reload. ;)

• Like 1

With the TI and ROS 8.34, ten disks are supported. Each disk may be configured to a maximum size of 3200 sectors (800K) for a total 8MB worth of information. This is double the capacity of ROS 8.14F. One caveat is that if your RAMDisk needs to be reloaded, 8MB is a lot of data to reload. ;)

Is it possible to put the actual ROS on the FlashROM´99 ?

Cool!

Will it need battery backing, or will it be Flash based?

I suppose anything is possible. :) However, as Ksarul said, it will at minimum be equivalent to the HRD4000, which requires battery backing, either for the circuit or at the chip level i.e., NVRAM. I'm not too keen on the dual RAMdisk function or the Phoenix mod, since they are not really necessary with a few changes to the ROS, and they add more chips to the ramdisk for little gain.

Is it possible to put the actual ROS on the FlashROM´99 ?

I am sure you can put 'anything' on the FlashROM'99, but why would you want the Ramdisk OS there? ;) ROS is the DSR for the Horizon RAMdisk. Are you thinking of MENU or BOOT?

• Like 1

It will be at a minimum, equivalent to an HRD 4000. I've been working with the Insane One to allow it to use his updated DSR and work like a single huge disk, instead of as a number of smaller ones. . .that also opens the way to disks well beyond 8M in size.

Do you mean the HRD would work like a SCSI Hard Drive with directories and multiple files per directories and even sub directories?