IGNORED

Who wrote the TI games?

Airshack

Do we have any author's records for the original TI games on cartridge?

Do any of them contain Easter egg type author credits?

After listening to a few game-by-game podcasts for Atari 800 and Intellivision I was wondering about the TI.

Edited by Airshack

Parsec was written by Jim Dramus and Paul Urbanus.

For an Easter Egg (amongst others) the 'boss' ships were named Dramites and Urbites.

You will see on the scrolling planet surface the words "JED" AND "URB" quite frequently.

Edited by Opry99er

Do we have any author's records for the original TI games on cartridge?

Do any of them contain Easter egg type author credits?

After listening to a few game-by-game podcasts for Atari 800 and Intellivision I was wondering about the TI.

See the TI-99/4A Videogame House. It credits quite a few of the game authors, and it also has a pretty good list of Easter eggs.

• Like 1

At the last broadcast of the Chicago users group meeting a handful of weeks ago, John Philips showed up. He was one of the authors of 'Hopper' and many other titles for the TI.

I can never remember the name of the streaming system they use by IBM. But I think that stuff is archived for a while. He mentioned a story about a cheat system he left in one of the games ( I think it was the MBX Baseball ). He could make the pitch un-hit-able, and make it always hit-able. He said he included and left cheat codes in games regularly in order to be able to skip ahead and test them.

-M@

Neat video.

Definitely this! I go to this page all the time.

After hearing this it makes me want to work on the update to the site I've been planning. Glad to know people are still using it. The next iteration It would include all the tidbits I've gathered through the years and have all of the carts (released/unreleased) and info on vaporware. I plan on unveiling a vaporware rating (V1: it's been claimed to have been seen and we have the code, V2: It's never been seen, but we have the code, V3: Been seen, but we don't have the code, V4: Never seen, no code). It would help identify which titles are truly unknown. I would then include documentation on sightings that have been reported and even when the code was first made available if known. Here's an example on some games with their vaporware rating:

V1: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

V2: Wing War

V3: Joust

V4: Porky's

This kind of helps give an idea on what might be out there but just hard to come by.

• Like 3

Hehe. I have 3 sightings on the Joust cart. One by a member on this group and 2 from the St. Louis TI UG. Apparently Joust was shown off at one of the St. Louis UG meets, and it was the Atarisoft version. This was back in the 80s.

• Like 2

As for E.T. I have 3 sightings on that as well. It seems to be a Canadian thing. One comes from Tyler Van Tighem when he was the librarian for one of the UG in Canada. He was dumping carts to disk for the group and didn't realize E.T. was an unknown title until I mentioned it to him in an e-mail. Another comes from a Canadian user that said he has it in his collection and will send me pics of it. The other comes from a truck driver in NH who was a TI user and would stop at various UG meets on his travels. He was a friend of Mike Wright and swears he saw the physical cart. Note that all of these are in/near Canada. Did some make it out in Canada? Who knows, but they all seem to be up there.

Edited by Toucan

As for E.T. I have 3 sightings on that as well. It seems to be a Canadian thing. One comes from Tyler Van Tighem when he was the librarian for one of the UG in Canada. He was dumping carts to disk for the group and didn't realize E.T. was an unknown title until I mentioned it to him in an e-mail. Another comes from a Canadian user that said he has it in his collection and will send me pics of it. The other comes from a truck driver in NH who was a TI user and would stop at various UG meets on his travels. He was a friend of Mike Wright and swears he saw the physical cart. Note that all of these are in/near Canada. Did some make it out in Canada? Who knows, but they all seem to be up there.

Don't know about E.T., but I do know that the (Super) Demon Attack that I bought up here back-in-the-day had the British voice over, and it wasn't until I got back into the TI a few years ago that I realized that it was sold without speech stateside.

But OMG if someone could pull a Tutankham/Robotron/SuperStorm with Joust, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say how absolutely cool that would be. Joust on the TI! Yes!

The music is terrible, but gameplay is good.

Sure you're talking about Hen Pecked? Sketchy controls, wonky collision and glitches too. Not the least of which, hens that disappear and reappear at will. Hey, I still played the shit out of this BITD - just sayin'. :lol: