IGNORED

BBS Simple Question...

All,

This is kind of embarrassing to ask as I should know this and honestly somewhere I have seen a FAQ on this....

Anyways from a Windows Machine (Say Windows 10) how does one connect to a BBS?

I believe the process was somehow to do things thru telnet....but I do not see this available thru the command line....So I tried my old go to program Putty (tried SSH and Telnet) and that did not seem to work on a BBS I know is up....

What have others done to connect....Want to show my kids what things were like when I was their age... ;)

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Solomon_Man

Telnet. In your Windows search bar (bottom left in Win7) type telnet... it Will pull up your command prompt with telnet activated.

Then type in:

open heatwave.ddns.net 9640

-or-

open thekeep.net 23

Opry99er,

Thanks for the help!

Typed it in and it appears that my telnet functionality/client was not installed during my Windows 10 installation....

Got that in place and I am good to go!

Thanks again,

Chris

Edited by Solomon_Man

Great!!! HEATWAVE is running on a Geneve computer... a sister to the TI-99/4A. Great for message boards and a few good door games as well (including one I wrote called Baseball). It is operated by AA member InsaneMultitasker.

thekeep.net is an excellent BBS, run by AA member arcadeshopper.

Excellent games, fun graphics, and you can dial in to it via phone and modem. :)

Edited by Opry99er

I still use Hyperterminal which was part of the Windows XP installation on one of my older PCs. From there I grabbed

\Program Files\Windows NT\hypertrm.exe
\Program Files\Windows NT\htrn_jis.dll
\Windows\System32\hypertrm.dll
\Windows\System32\\hticons.dll
\Windows\Help\hypertrm.chm
\Windows\Help\hypertrm.hlp

and put them all into the same folder. Actually just the exe and hypertrm.dll are enough to get it running, but it looks a bit broken that way :)

All,

I will have to give the above software a try...It was nice to log into a few boards...The wife and kids got a kick out of it as well...

Back in the day I used a piece of software on the PC called Telex (sp?) I believe it was...I had a Atari 8 bit that had a 300 and then I believe later it was a 1200 baud modem...When I hit the PC market the baud rates went up to 9600,14.4, and finally 57.6 which is when internet/and college hit.

Thanks again for the trip down memory lane,

Chris

Hey Grimakis,

I have been trying to dial in to Borderline on my TI-99/4A. I get a CONNECT 1200 BAUD prompt as normal, but it never displays the welcome screen...

Is it strictly C64 protocols, or can other systems dial in?

It supports ASCII text as well. I have dialed in from my Apple IIe and Tandy 102 portable.

Once it says connect, hit return a few times to get it goinf.