IGNORED

Getting A8 Online with Lantronix and 850 Interface

According to the P:R: Connection manual, the R1 port on the P:R:C matches port 1 of the 850. If I may ask, what way does that vary from the standard 9-pin RS-232 pinout? It's been so very long since I've messed with physical serial ports I've long since forgotten what little I once knew (which wasn't all that much to begin with).

I guess either way I'll have to order a different cable. No big deal. So if you will indulge me, let me outline where I think I stand. The DB9's on the P:R:C are female, the DB25 on the Lantronix is male. The Atari Terminal cable is DB9-DB25 with male on both ends, so I'll also need a DB25 f-f gender changer for the Lantronix end. So with those two pieces (Terminal cable and gender changer) I should be good to go, correct?

Assuming I can get the Lantronix IP configured, of course - a bridge I will burn when I get to it! :)

So I posted the pinout... yes, the P:R: and the 850 use the same cable. Here is the one you want for the MSS.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/CX-88-Atari-850-Terminal-Null-Modem-Cable-New-800-XL-XE-/140954304558?hash=item20d188002e:m:mXmgO1W1DVGfPh3Yk-V7qNQ

The CX-87 is the one you'd use with a regular modem (or if you had a UDS-10 or UDS-1100), so you don't want to order one of those.

So as to where you stand.... Yes, the P:R:C has female DB9s and the Lantronix is male DB25 (which is actually the reverse of what it would be if they were all standard as a PC's DB-9 is male and the modems are DB25 female).

You're also right that the CX-88 is male on both ends (I actually have one sealed in it's official Atari package right here in front of me to verify that) ;)

So yeah.... The f-f DB25 gender changer should get you set to go...... With the hardware part.

Then there is the configuration of the MSS and the terminal software if you don't already have it (BobTerm for calling A8 BBS's and IceT for ST BBS's and others).

Then there is the configuration of the MSS and the terminal software if you don't already have it (BobTerm for calling A8 BBS's and IceT for ST BBS's and others).

I've got the terminal software on the Atari end covered; I have my old floppy disks (well, .atr images I made) with a number of excellent programs, plus an internet full of nearly everything written and released for the A8 machines. Configuration of the Lantronix for my LAN will be the biggest remaining obstacle without an XP machine with a standard serial port, but the manual indicates a method to configure the box directly via a terminal program and serial connection. Once I get the proper cabling setup, I *should* be able to use a terminal program on the Atari to specify an IP manually, I would think.

Edited by DrVenkman

You can also configure it with a web interface with your PC, which is the way I generally go.

The previous owner might have set it to DHCP also, so once it's hooked up to your router you might be good to go.

I actually downloaded the manager (Device Installer) software from Lantronix that will find all the devices on my network and then I can just do one click to go to each one's telnet or web browser setups.

https://www.lantronix.com/products/deviceinstaller/

• Like 1

I am using Bobterm myself right now, and I found one issue.. small thing.. but would be nice if someone could modify it to suit a modern use.

The dialing menu only allows 16 characters for the number.

Also with both IceT and Bobterm.. so far anyway.. I have not found a way to type a "-" .. so I have to type out the number address not the url.

Is there a way around this I dont know.. for example bfbbs.no-ip.com this cannot be typed in Bobterm or IceT because either VT100 or Ansi as far as I can tell there is no way to type the dash.

James

Have you tried using BobTerm's large macros? Not certain if that will solve the "-" problem, though...

Don't think the source to BobTerm is available - the CSS source code page (http://nleaudio.com/css/source.htm) doesn't have it.

Unfortunately using the macros only helps once you are connected. Unless you type the address from a paper (OMG) you cannot store the urls in the dialing directory.

The other thing I have found..

If I dial into a bbs with IceT.. it works.. it with Bobterm it does not.. and visaversa.. OR sometimes it seems to connect and work.. and sometimes no.

Also if anyone is interested there is great a great IRC channel ##atari.. which you can get to by telnet - on your atari through irc.atarinet.com 800

James

If rverter is fine... am I to understand using all the same cables and drivers are connecting to a real modem is just fine?

if yes reset the lantronix to factory settings....

set the terminal to lantronix default flow rate.....

do not use atascii, use ascii or ansi....

while lantronix is booting hold the default serial set up key down on the Atari...

that should get you into the lantronix serial set up page...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

If rverter is fine... am I to understand using all the same cables and drivers are connecting to a real modem is just fine?

if yes reset the lantronix to factory settings....

set the terminal to lantronix default flow rate.....

do not use atascii, use ascii or ansi....

while lantronix is booting hold the default serial set up key down on the Atari...

that should get you into the lantronix serial set up page...

i connecting lantronix only to atari, not to pc..

i waiting for new cable now

Lately, I try my local Goodwill (if you have one). The one by my place tends to restock electronics on Friday and they have the box-o-cables (and power supplies). $1.00 each. Well, except those big expensive high-quality monster cables.... those go for about $3.00. I like to grab square LCD monitors too (some work very well with the Ataris).

Okay, trying not to beat my poor dead horse further into glue, but the power supply I ordered for the MSS100 doesn't fit - the center gap on the generic wall wart I got is too narrow to fit the fairly large center pin on the Lantronix. I dug around in my garage through my musty, dusty box of old cables and such and found several other adapters but in each case, the plug didn't fit - the center pin on the MSS100 is just too large for the adapter plugs I have around here.

Can anyone with a working setup measure the plug on the adapter they're using (best estimate) and let me know so I don't waste any more money?

Thanks!

Just make sure to label that power supply and glue those switches in place so a kid (or anyone) can't change it. That's why I don't like those things.

If you have kids who can't leave well enough alone, that's on you. When I was growing up, we were raised not to touch that stuff. ;)

• Like 2

Fortunately for me, my three are all adults by now (youngest turned 19 last month!). No risk there. I just need a power supply that will fit over that large center prong on the MSS100 jack. I hate Wal-Mart with a purple passion and avoid it like the plague - found a 5VDC adapter with the correct polarity on Amazon with a variety of interchangeable tips that looks like it will work - we'll see. :) I'm still waiting on the correct CX-88 cable and DB25 gender changer so no big deal.

Thanks again for everyone's continued help.

Fortunately for me, my three are all adults by now (youngest turned 19 last month!). No risk there. I just need a power supply that will fit over that large center prong on the MSS100 jack. I hate Wal-Mart with a purple passion and avoid it like the plague - found a 5VDC adapter with the correct polarity on Amazon with a variety of interchangeable tips that looks like it will work - we'll see. :) I'm still waiting on the correct CX-88 cable and DB25 gender changer so no big deal.

Thanks again for everyone's continued help.

During a dark time in my life (after my computer business of 13 years failed) I was an assistant manager at Walmart for 6.5 years. Explain what purple passion you could possibly have that would keep you from pursuing your retro hobby when I can walk into one to further my retro hobby? (I mean, I'm half joking but also half "seriously dude, you don't know shizzle, you think they're the devil? I got documented proof they are but I'm still going to "use them" to further my retro computing agenda because THAT puts ME in control of the evil").

• Like 1

During a dark time in my life (after my computer business of 13 years failed) I was an assistant manager at Walmart for 6.5 years. Explain what purple passion you could possibly have that would keep you from pursuing your retro hobby when I can walk into one to further my retro hobby? (I mean, I'm half joking but also half "seriously dude, you don't know shizzle, you think they're the devil? I got documented proof they are but I'm still going to "use them" to further my retro computing agenda because THAT puts ME in control of the evil").

:lolblue: :lol: :lolblue: :lol:

​Touche!

​I have my reasons but they're not worth going into. I still use them myself for cheap ammo and the very occasional "gotta have it today and they've got it" purchase when I can't go across town somewhere else, but I try not to.

On the other hand, they can now sell well wine in-store here so there's that ... :D

:lolblue: :lol: :lolblue: :lol:

​Touche!

​I have my reasons but they're not worth going into. I still use them myself for cheap ammo and the very occasional "gotta have it today and they've got it" purchase when I can't go across town somewhere else, but I try not to.

On the other hand, they can now sell well wine in-store here so there's that ... :D

Yeah, those licenses are weird... Our store tried to get one for yeas and finally did (small town in Amish country). Still didn't buy my booze there... Walmart had no business knowing how much they made me drink. ;)

I treat Walmart like it treated me. While they serve my purpose, I treat them well. When it doesn't, I have no use for it.

• Like 1