IGNORED

Shopping Cart Lists for Cap Kits (SMD Components) - Handhelds / NEC

Vector

Hello All! Before I do all the leg work does any one have capacitor shopping lists with either Jameco or Digikey for SMD cap replacements. If no one has any, I will add them over the coming months (and years) as I buy them for various board versions that I happen to be repairing. I know console 5 has through hole components all packed up and ready to go. However I am skilled with SMD soldering, and it is much quicker for me to replace SMD components then modifying through-hole components.

That being said - I feel the need to forewarn people that SMD soldering is a different skill, please do not attempt using a hot air blower with out learning the skills first. While I am in the midst of an Archie Bunker rant - I should also mention Hot Glue is not an except able replacement for soldering either. For the few of you guilty of this seemingly new hot glue trend. It would be very considerate (after you are unsatisfied with your barely working hack job) that you don't trade in your heaping mess of glue, wires, that is one small jolt away from ripping a trace off the board. I don't like telling small business owners they were ripped off!

I will add the shopping lists for the following as they come in for shopping lists that include replacing SMD caps with same size SMD caps, and will also include through hole components for through hole components. For the following known Cap Replacement culprits:

- Sega Nomad

-Board Version

- Game Gear

-Board Version

- Turbo Express

-Board Version

- Turbo CD & CD Dock

-Board Version

- Turbo Duo

-Board Version

I do not own a Turbo Duo, and have more then enough Game Gears to fix to keep me from seeking any out side work. If someone else out there plans on repairing one using SMD components please post your shopping list.

Console5 has already done that in their online store:

https://console5.com/store/kits.html?cat=4

You are correct, I see them just for the Nomad and Turbo Express. I bought a ton of kits a while back, and those 2 did not exist at that time. I should have re-checked. The rest are all still through hole though. 2 down a few more to go. Thanks rayik!

Hot Glue!? is that really a thing?

Yes it unfortunately is, it must be a thing in YouTube or a forum. I can't explain the phenomenon any other way. The glue basically makes the machine unrepairable. I have seen it mostly in Genesis model 2's.

It's usually a sound mod, so you can't tell by looking at it from the outside. I wonder if it's one guy in Brooklyn that's trading them in, which may give the appearance of a widespread epidemic.

The hot glue mod is quite unpopular on assemblergames and pcenginefx forums. A tiny amount to hold wires in place is fine but if you used up a dozen sticks to hold wires and not use soldering iron to fasten the metal end in spots, you need to surrender all of your hot glue guns and screwdrivers.

The hot glue mod is quite unpopular on assemblergames and pcenginefx forums. A tiny amount to hold wires in place is fine but if you used up a dozen sticks to hold wires and not use soldering iron to fasten the metal end in spots, you need to surrender all of your hot glue guns and screwdrivers.

Hot glue shouldn't be used because it can "string out" and land on the board. which can pull traces from the PCB. Having gone to school in the 90's for electronic repair, we did not have one hot glue gun in our drawers or in the tool kit closet. We only used heat shrinking tubing, zip ties, and on some occasions epoxy. Hot glue often deteriorates over time, and can have issues sticking long term to smooth surfaces like most common polymers of plastic. Not to mention that it is a pain to remove when you need to fix something. Hot glue is great for crafting, not so much for electronics.