IGNORED

O2 homebrew roms?

eebuckeye

Is there a good place to find freely available O2 homebrew roms?

Here´s some demos of some game I´m working. (coments are welcome)

Boombox (a sokoban game)

and Haunted Woods (a plataform)

Previous releases may be granted to those requesting, provided that the intention is for their own non-commercial use. Unfortunately some people do this practice.

3boxdemo.bin

demo_haunted.bin

Edited by superbee
  • Like 2

I came to the same conclusion a while ago, that except for atari2600land's ROMs, very few homebrews for the Odyssey^2 are posted as ROM images, or even "floating around" on warez pages. Several games have been produced commercially though, which is great even if those are made in small quantities.

• 6 years later...

It's sad because there are a lot of O2 homebrews (I own 3 or 4) but the ROMs have never been released and the carts are out of production.

I have no problem with a developer not releasing the ROMs if carts are available to purchase, but if there is no further plan to release more carts, I don't see the point in keeping the ROMs locked up in a vault, never to be seen again.

I agree it would be good to be able to play ROMs of the long-sold-out Odyssey2 homebrew cartridges.  We have seen many of them get re-released on multicarts though, and I think many of those are still available.

For the more recent (last five or so years) homebrews released on carts, it seems that sales are down.  I have released only two games through a publisher, but there are many, many copies left for sale.  That leaves the publisher with unrecouped production costs, so I wouldn't want to release the ROMs until he can sell out.  I feel an obligation to respect this regardless if it takes 20 years for them to sell.  (And to be honest, 20 years means they won't ever sell out.)

I really want to keep making games for this system.  I considered selling ROMs of currently unreleased games. Something like, "I will sell 100 copies of this ROM with the understanding that I'll wait two years and release it publicly for free".  But is there enough interest?

4 hours ago, Pickaxe Brad! said:

I agree it would be good to be able to play ROMs of the long-sold-out Odyssey2 homebrew cartridges.  We have seen many of them get re-released on multicarts though, and I think many of those are still available.

For the more recent (last five or so years) homebrews released on carts, it seems that sales are down.  I have released only two games through a publisher, but there are many, many copies left for sale.  That leaves the publisher with unrecouped production costs, so I wouldn't want to release the ROMs until he can sell out.  I feel an obligation to respect this regardless if it takes 20 years for them to sell.  (And to be honest, 20 years means they won't ever sell out.)

I really want to keep making games for this system.  I considered selling ROMs of currently unreleased games. Something like, "I will sell 100 copies of this ROM with the understanding that I'll wait two years and release it publicly for free".  But is there enough interest?

Unfortunately, I think too many people suffer from the "out of sight out of mind" syndrome. Every once in a while I think those that have games for sale (like publishers/programmers) need to remind the buyers in the communities more than just when they are new. And if they have been sitting around a while, maybe it's time for a sale on particular games. Something like if you by any on this list you get 5-10% off your next order. Just thinking out loud.

BTW, what publisher is selling your games and which games are they?  :)

1 hour ago, pboland said:

Every once in a while I think those that have games for sale (like publishers/programmers) need to remind the buyers in the communities more than just when they are new.

Well, I'm definitely guilty of that. I haven't posted here for any announcements when the games were being released.  I think that I'll post some development threads for things that I have going on from now on.

1 hour ago, pboland said:

BTW, what publisher is selling your games and which games are they?  :)

http://videopac.fr/

(There's a email hyperlink for ordering on the page)

Spyrus: Prepare for Defeat! takes place in the Attack of the Timelord cinematic universe (AotTCU) and is the first (or perhaps second) in a series of Spyrus games.  Control time in this test of agility and speed as annihilators (the green weapons from Attack of the Timelord) redirect your path away from the end of the level.  200 levels, nine player characters (nine skill levels), and timecodes to save your progress.  You'll need the timecodes as this game is a marathon.

Videopac version also works with Odyssey² (and an Odyssey²-branded version will be available soon from Odyssey Brazil https://experienciaodyssey.com.br/, which works for both Odyssey² and Videopac).

Pickaxe Repeat! hasn't shipped yet, but will be soon, and is a kind of "play within the play" which takes place during a game of Pick Axe Pete!  You are Pete's shadow, upside-down in a level/maze that PAP just mined out and exited.  You have to get a pickaxe for Pete's next level and take it to him through the correct exit door all while avoiding the boulders in reverse gravity. And then do it again. And then again.  This game solves the question from my youth: "How does Pete get a brand new pickaxe to start every new level?"

Available Odyssey² and Videopac versions, but I highly suggest checking out the Odyssey² version for the edge-of-your-seat, 16-page, full color, rollercoaster of a story in the manual.  If you don't like so many pictures but want the story anyway, the Videopac manual is a great read as well.

While you're ordering my two games on http://videopac.fr/ grab another game or two and save on shipping costs!  I suggest Forbidden Lands, Spaceman Splorf: Planet of Doom, and/or Free Food for Fish!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ls650 said:

It's sad because there are a lot of O2 homebrews (I own 3 or 4) but the ROMs have never been released and the carts are out of production.

I have no problem with a developer not releasing the ROMs if carts are available to purchase, but if there is no further plan to release more carts, I don't see the point in keeping the ROMs locked up in a vault, never to be seen again.

What games are you talking about in particular?

On 9/20/2023 at 12:35 PM, Pickaxe Brad! said:

I purchased ROMs in the past, that I like so much, that I ended up buying the cartridge also. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 6:06 PM, CrazyChris said:

I purchased ROMs in the past, that I like so much, that I ended up buying the cartridge also. 

I wish there was an option to buy homebrew Odyssey ROMs.   I understand why developers woudn't want to have their ROMs made available, but like others have said maybe after a set time period or after the run of carts is sold out it could be made an option?

Edited by jimj
  • Like 1