IGNORED

My software collection

gargoyle

Today i just discovered two boxes full of floppies, to be exact 40 of them. When I looked into them i found that this was my software collection backup, most are downloads from BBS days.

The backup was made using Flashback backup software. If my memory serves me right the software came with the MIO box. I no longer have the MIO and I am not sure if i still have the Flashback software, but I am guessing it may not be a big deal to find a copy somewhere. The problem is I can't locate the Disk-1 of the backup set. However by the looks of it the backup software simply copied the files to the floppy (without any compression) and split the last file if the disk didn't have any more space and continued the file on the next floppy. There is also a backup control file on each floppy. So even without the backup software the files can be restored to my PC manually and the files that are split in two can be appended manually. I haven't checked the control file contents yet so I don't know what exactly is in there but I am guessing the backup set can somehow be fixed to work with Flashback.

Anyway my real question is whether it is worthwhile to upload a list of files here just in case i have something that matters to the community and it's not already available in the wild (which I very much doubt given i obtained those files from BBSes at the time)

Edited by gargoyle

Anyway my real question is whether it is worthwhile to upload a list of files here just in case i have something that matters to the community and it's not already available in the wild (which I very much doubt given i obtained those files from BBSes at the time)

I suppose to be honest, we wouldn't know if it was worthwhile until you uploaded the list. ;) So I guess you should upload the list, so we can look at it and tell you if it's worthwhile to upload the list. ;)

Or if you're fairly sure there isn't anything sensitive on there, you can just image them and upload the collection and someone who's interested can figure out how to recover it on their own.

What I've been doing is archiving everything to .ATR files, then going through the .ATR files and comparing them to what's on atarimania. It's tedious, but the issue is "do I have some alternate version?". So far, I just found an Artworx game that apparently never made it to the light of day, but won't boot either.

if an atr and atx can be made you'd be surprised what can be repaired, some people are magic at correctly filling in the blanks so to speak and then you have a few people who can look at a kryoflux or scp stream and pick out what's most likely the correct data and bam.. you have a working disk. No harm in trying and if you can't get that done, perhaps ship it off to someone who can, look at the success we've seen so far.. let them try and everyone wins

Edited by _The Doctor__

So far, I just found an Artworx game that apparently never made it to the light of day, but won't boot either.

Post the image here.

It might be easily fixable:

Must if not all Artworx games use DOS as loader which could be repaired.

Their copy protection (if already applied) is not very sophisticated and can be cracked or recreated.