IGNORED

Custom fonts coexistance by page flipping

Hello FRIENDS!

How do you think, is it possible to have 2 fonts on fullscreen (FE pseudographics and custom charset, using page flipping?

I mean one page prints pseudographic frames and other prints custom text in frames.

There must be VBI routine to flip pages and mask out some flagged chars ie inverse FE... etc.

Sorry, but I don't know Atari internals enough. :)

The idea is to have framed menu with russian text in it.

The problem is that slightly redundant Russian takes both Ctrl+Letters (as Capitalized) and Caps letters (as Lowercase). Capitalized Latins stay untouched for standard work.

Best Regards from Moscow!
ez

Hello FRIENDS!

How do you think, is it possible to have 2 fonts on fullscreen (FE pseudographics and custom charset, using page flipping?

I mean one page prints pseudographic frames and other prints custom text in frames.

There must be VBI routine to flip pages and mask out some flagged chars ie inverse FE... etc.

Sorry, but I don't know Atari internals enough. :)

The idea is to have framed menu with russian text in it.

The problem is that slightly redundant Russian takes both Ctrl+Letters (as Capitalized) and Caps letters (as Lowercase). Capitalized Latins stay untouched for standard work.

Best Regards from Moscow!

ez

You can switch the font on any DLI, and since there's only 40 char per line, you could even have an entirely new character set every third line, and print whatever you'd need to. Hopefully your needs aren't that extreme though. In short, whatever you need should be doable, it might just take a little planning

So you want to freely mix 2 custom character sets?

Generally you can't have 2 character sets shared on a single scanline. If you wanted to freely mix 256 characters onscreen you'd probably want to have screen memory flipped as well as the character set. The problem there is you'd get flicker.

For presentation purposes you'd probably be better off using a bitmap mode and routines that do text to bitmap modes. I'm pretty sure in the last few years someone released such a program that even allows variable pitch fonts which would be ideal for presentations.

• Like 1

Hi there Rybags!

Nice to see you again!

Yes, with screen mem flipping too...

Is it really flickering upto nonreading at all?

I saw flicker terminal... it's readable! :)

Is there some program doing something like this?

Really I can NOT understand Atari in perfect manner.

It's absolutely visible.

ez :)

Hi all!

Thank you very much.

May be GR8 is the one right decision...

By the way, till now I can not to save upper memory custom font from reset.

I've protected 8 properly aligned upmost pages and I lost custom font every reset.

I can see font in monitor and can see proper value in CHBAS, but font goes from screen.

I can not even imagine how to do it.

The top 1K will always get wiped on Reset which can be a problem.

But where that 1K is depends on if a cartridge is present and enabled or if Basic is enabled.

You can set Basic enable flag (dec 1016) to 00 then disable Basic with a Casini vectored routine to protect 8K images from $A000-$BFFF.

You can unset the Basic enable flag (nonzero value) then enable Basic with Casini routine to protect the area from $9C00-$9FFF that normally holds the screen when using Basic. You'd also need to move RAMTOP (dec 106) value downwards and re-open the E: device. By doing this you could protect font or other data that lives in that top of contiguous Ram area. But the problem with this method is that it won't work at all with Basic on cartridge.

• Like 1

Thank you Rybags.

My idea was to work only with DOS.

I think I understand my problem with your help :)

I just erroneously set CHBAS to UPPER 1k, and this 800 bytes goes out of course.

Now I'll set CHBAS to lower 1k and i hope it can help me.

For Basic environment I protect font and tsr part in lower memory and reinit Basic thus Basic protects my prog itself.

Thank you again :)