IGNORED

So, what TI/99 accessory or add-on should I blow some cash on next?

These images were converted to Scanline Paletted F18A bitmaps with Tursi's « convert9918 » program, and are being displayed on my 4A using « slideshow99 » (I've got about 100 images converted and saved as CF7 volumes if anyone is interested).

Oh heck yes! Send 'em over!

I use the version of Tursi's slideshow program converted by Shift838 << AVAILABLE HERE >> and pull them over the HDX.

I get it...I have both a stock console and an F18A upgraded one. Before I installed an F18A, I was more than happy with the picture I was getting with an RCA to VGA convertor (not perfect, but better than using an RF modulator). And while others have sung the praises of the multiple sprites per line, and 80 column text (multiplan becomes mederately useable!!), along with other niceties (like emulator quality display), I say a picture (or a few) is worth a thousand words. (sorry, my tablet has a crappy camera)

These images were converted to Scanline Paletted F18A bitmaps with Tursi's « convert9918 » program, and are being displayed on my 4A using « slideshow99 » (I've got about 100 images converted and saved as CF7 volumes if anyone is interested).

If you've ever seen images created with Spectrum 512 on an Atari ST, this is the picture quality of these images on a TI-99/4A. Now there's some wow factor...ST static image quality on a 4A!!!

So Major_Tom_coming_home, without hesitation, I join the chorus of those suggesting your next toy should be an F18A. (and how the heck else are ya going to play Super Mario Bros!?)

i'm sold! lol

So within the past few weeks I've gotten my first TI/99 and the SD Cartridge. I have ordered a 32K expansion, Atari controller adapter, and a composite video cable from arcadeshopper.com. My interest is games (I'm thinking the same is true for 99% of TI/99 enthusiasts) and I was wondering if there is anything else worthwhile to get such as...

The voice synth? is it worth getting and what is a fair price for one? If only a few games support it I would pass, but if it has good support and enhances the experience I might be interested at a reasonable price. I saw a tested working one for $30 but I have no idea if that is a good or a bad price

The TI-99/4A Peripheral Expansion Box? Seem to go for a lot of money, but is it worthwhile and do I actually need more than 48K for gaming? I'm thinking it is more of a collector's thing these days. Nothing wrong with that, But I collect other things and for the TI/99 I'm really only interested in adding more gaming functionality.

Floppy drive? Would be cool to have if found cheap but I don't see myself loading floppies. I saw there is some kind of Compact Flash drive on Arcadeshopper. Does it add much new functionality? (games not available as cartridge roms for instance)?

Anyways, thanks in advance for your suggestions. It's great to have a community of fellow enthusiasts to be a part of...honestly, for me the community is the best thing about owning retro computers and games. Without the support of a community for things like flash cartridges and memory expansions many of these old systems just wouldn't be worthwhile for anyone other than the most hard core fans.

Hi. Just to clear the waters, you can't add memory expansions capacities. Multiple 32K expansions will map to the same memory area. If you already have a 32K expansion and you add a PEB or NanoPEB, you need to remove it. With the NanoPEB you will use the included 32K RAM, but with PEB you need to buy a 32K expansion card, or some more capable AMS or SAMS card if you can find it (or you can build one from scratch). The JediMatt 32K expansion don't have a expansion connector compatible with the PEB. Sadly you can´t add a storage solution to the JediMatt 32K as nobody created such a solution (yet).

Edited by gfreige

Sadly you can´t add a storage solution to the Matt 32K as nobody created such a solution (yet).

Matt's already designed a converter that will enable one to plug in a peripheral expansion box into the side of his 32K device.

Currently, if someone had a P-Box without a 32K card or a stand alone floppy controller, they would be in business.

The future looks bright for other emergent alternatives as well.

Refer to: << This Message >>

If you go for a disk system with a PEB, it's probably worth reading up on the various options available. There were (basically) three disk controller cards available.

TI - 90-180K, sings density, double-sided (original TI disk drives are single-sided only)

CorComp & Myarc are double-density, but each uses a different format. The Myarc card was a little faster.

If you find packaged software, the bulk of it is likely to be SS/SD 90K format, the lowest-common denominator.

I've grossly over-simplified...others might chime in. I recommend some type of disk system or disk emulation, though, because there was a lot of great software available on disk that never made it to cartridge, especially software released after Black Friday. I'm thinking software from Asgard, Comprodine. The TI Game Shelf website has a pretty good collection if you want to see what kinds of things are available.

In Europe, you can also find the Atronic Disk Controller for the PEB. Ir was also DSDD (and a lot of software that looks for CorComp controllers works perfectly with it as well. Lastly, there is the SNUG BwG Disk Controller for the PEB. It was also mostly sold in Europe--and is a rock-stable DSDD controller.

Note that Myarc controllers will format 16 or 18 sectors per track in DD. The 16-sector format was to maintain compatibility with the (unreleased) TI DSDD controller.

With *MOST* of the other 3rd party controllers out there, you'll still only average 360K maximum per drive. In this day and age format compatibility with 'your buddy down the street' is not really an issue any more as we have software to eliminate that problem. There *IS* an issue however with cost and availability of the harder to obtain DS/DD floppy controllers or even the almost unobtainable 720K units. Due to the cost and availability of those controllers, I usually recommend the TI-FDC paired with the inexpensive 80 track modification. I have a short blog entry with more information on that option << HERE >>, if you want to investigate further.

Also, with the advent of the new FinalGROM 99 that will be coming out in the near future, much of the software people use can now be stored on that device, freeing up space that might otherwise be used, thus possibly eliminating the need for larger format disk drives or even hard drives.