IGNORED

Antonia 4MB or Ultimate 1MB which one and why?

scotty

On 8/12/2023 at 3:32 PM, scorpio_ny said:

As for the board, try looking at sites that cater to Raspberry Pi projects.

If your upgrade doesn't need the OS Rom chip, like the Rapidus and the Antonia, you can use the Adaptus board from Lotharek in Poland which mounts the upgrade in the OS Rom socket, and gets the remaining 16 CPU signals it needs from a small ribbon cable going to a male dip socket that plugs in where the CPU was removed from. I am not 100% sure it will work with the Antonia, but it should. I've asked Simius, but haven't heard back yet.

Since Lotharek has discontinued (he says out of stock) the Rapidus upgrade, I'm not sure if he'll continue to sell the Adaptus boards. If he isn't going to carry them any longer, I have started developing a similar solution.

4 hours ago, XL Freak said:

If your upgrade doesn't need the OS Rom chip, like the Rapidus and the Antonia, you can use the Adaptus board from Lotharek in Poland which mounts the upgrade in the OS Rom socket, and gets the remaining 16 CPU signals it needs from a small ribbon cable going to a male dip socket that plugs in where the CPU was removed from. I am not 100% sure it will work with the Antonia, but it should. I've asked Simius, but haven't heard back yet.

My upgrades in the 600XL are the Antonia and Sophia DVI. Because of of the Antonia, I had removed a bunch of chips that is no longer needed.

4 hours ago, XL Freak said:

Since Lotharek has discontinued (he says out of stock) the Rapidus upgrade, I'm not sure if he'll continue to sell the Adaptus boards. If he isn't going to carry them any longer, I have started developing a similar solution.

Keep us posted if you do make a new solution! I am always looking forward to makes things neater inside the computer

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

Did you have a chance to acquire or make one for your system?

yes, I ordered a cpu extension cable, but the gtia has the same # of pins so it should work. I am going to replace it with a different solution anyway, so pm me if you'd like to buy it.

On 1/14/2021 at 1:37 AM, xxl said:

the incompatibility issue of 65816 in Antonia or PIA in U1MB can be easily solved: Antonia PCB with 6502 processor ? works great.

3362012800_1578472551.jpga6502.thumb.jpg.636d62911a6569b45accc0189f924703.jpg

I tried 2 different 6502s in my Antonia and they didn't boot, is this real or a troll?

One 6502 was from a bulk buy I got a ton of chips in, and the other was pulled from a Commodore 1541 floppy drive.

15 hours ago, dabone said:

I tried 2 different 6502s in my Antonia and they didn't boot, is this real or a troll?

One 6502 was from a bulk buy I got a ton of chips in, and the other was pulled from a Commodore 1541 floppy drive.

It's real, but it is not the Antonia. It's an old Antonia PCB with special core made on xxl's demand, working with Sally CPU. 

5 hours ago, XL Freak said:

why a Sally? if I were to switch out the 65816, I think I'd try the 65c02

If you are concerned about missing illegal opcodes and 100% compatibility, the 65C02 isn't any better than the 65816. It has a few extra opcodes but should interpret all the illegal opcodes as NOP. Using the new instructions will allow for a bit tighter machine language code.