IGNORED

Atari 5200 2 vs 4 controller port

Allen Schweitzer

I'm going to eventually buy another 5200. Mine was lost in a flood 16 years ago. I'm just wanting some feedback from some owners on whether they would recommend a unit with 2 or 4 ports for controllers. I read somewhere a while back that there is at least 1 game that cannot be played on a 4 port controller. So in seeking counsel from the wise, I throw this out for any and all opinions. No reason one way or the other is too trivial to leave out, and I appreciate any responses. Thank you!

I'm not aware of any 5200 games that aren't playable on the 4 port. However, there are 3 games that aren't playable on a 2 port. Krazy-Shootout, Mountain King, and the original Pitfall for sure. But swap out the bios chip on the 2 port with a 4 port and you're good to go.

2 port won't play the 3 games above

4 port won't play the 2600 adapter unless modified. Also the 4 port requires a switch box that is often missing when the console is sold or it is broken so replacements are not common.

Overall, go for 2 port but replace the bios chip for compatibility, SD multicart, and some sort of joystick adapter because many games just play better with a digital stick or pad in place of the analog no-work 5200 originals. Some games require analog though, so it is a good thing to have at least one original controller with gold contacts from Best Electronics.

Edited by bah

For $45 bucks or whatever with a core trade in, there is no question that I will be doing business with Best E after I get my system for the lifetime controllers!!! I'm not a fan of ANY aftermarket controller. I bought 3 gold PCB's for my 2600 controllers, and they are PRICELESS! Thanks for your input!!

• 2 months later...

I also have the 4 ports and prefer that to 2 ports. There are actually 4 different variations. The original 4 port run does not work with 2600 adapter. The 4 ports console with a * in the serial number have revised design to work with 2600 adapter properly. Then there are early 2 ports consoles that has 4 ports BIOS and will work with those 3 games, and lastly, the later 2 ports console with revised BIOS for PAL support but broke 3 games.

4 ports can easily be modified to not need switch box, console5 has a kit for just a few dollars. Basically remove 2 original parts, install new jack on the console, wire in and add 2 included parts. Then sell that switch box (if you got it) on eBay for like $25.

2 ports that don't work with 3 games can also be fixed but getting to BIOS chip is a pain in the butt job, you have to twist about 30 metal tabs to remove RF shield in order to get to the original BIOS chip. I couldn't use my 5200 without the shield, the video was very fuzzy with the shield off.

I'm not aware of any 5200 games that aren't playable on the 4 port. However, there are 3 games that aren't playable on a 2 port. Krazy-Shootout, Mountain King, and the original Pitfall for sure. But swap out the bios chip on the 2 port with a 4 port and you're good to go.

Would that mess with 2600 Adapter compatibility?