IGNORED

Proposal for an Atari 5200 newsletter

Allan

Allan, sorry...

I dont want to be a copycat but a Newsletter sounds so good it made me propose one for the Computer 8-Bit line....

I hope you are not mad at me!

But yes you can count me In for the 5200 Newsletter too!

No, of course I'm not mad at you. If you're really into the 8-bits (I am as well) you probably should look over at Comp.sys.Atari.8bit. I think you'll find a lot more 8-bit computer fans over there and get more responses from people interested in the computers. The reason I wanted to create a 5200 magazine though is that 1.I have alot of ideas about it floating in my head and 2. there's very little written about it compared to the 8-bit computers. Hopefully you've checked out www.atariarchives.org and www.atarimagazines.com as well as www.cyberroach.com (I think that's the address) for all the old Atari 8-bit books and magazines. Kevin Savetz, myself, and a bunch of others have spent hundreds of hours OCRing and HTMLing hundreds of magazines and books about the 8-bits. If you can come up with some new ideas for the 8-bits, that's great. But honestly, it's going to be hard after you check out all the stuff written already. You could just join us on a 5200 newsletter. We're going to need all the help we can get so no one person is killing themselves putting it together.

Allan

Well it is kinda hard, I do own a 5200 and this would be a great chance for me to be on a news letter...

So can add my help to the list... Specially if its comparing and contrasting 5200 games to 8-Bit Games and/or conversions

Thanks

I know Russ Perry JR does the 2600 connection.

Yup. I wouldn't fight it if you wanted to name it the 5200 Connection...

Actually, even if you can't get a newsletter off the ground, you could write for Dan or I (though I limit 5200 coverage to news and homebrews for the most part).

I would welcome some 5200 articles to the newsletter (mostly we had jaguar and Lynx) we haddn't had a 5200 article since jeff adkin's was part of AVC.

Dan Iacovelli

I know Russ Perry JR does the 2600 connection.

Yup. I wouldn't fight it if you wanted to name it the 5200 Connection...

Actually, even if you can't get a newsletter off the ground, you could write for Dan or I (though I limit 5200 coverage to news and homebrews for the most part).

I would welcome some 5200 articles to the newsletter (mostly we had jaguar and Lynx) we haddn't had a 5200 article since jeff adkin's was part of AVC.

Dan Iacovelli

Thanks guys. I may consider it if things don't work out with the 5200 newsletter.

Allan

I wish I still had the first Atari article I wrote, back in 1984, called "Defeating the Xylon Menace: A Strategy Guide to Star Raiders", which I had planned to submit to one of the video game magazines of the time, but they were all dying out, so I never did. Alas. I've thought about rewriting it, as the strategies I worked out I've never seen exactly duplicated anywhere else (I can get Star Commander Class 1 virtually every single game).

It was some years later when I started writing about Atari computers for ANALOG Computing and ST-Log. I did write a piece for Atari-HQ http://www.atarihq.com/5200/cv52/index.html comparing the Colecovision and 5200 . Time permitting I might contribute a piece.

That would be great Big_Mo. I was playing some other 5200 games lately and thought about some strategy articles.

Allan

is there enough news for the 5200 to justify a montly newsletter?

Well, maybe not. But who says we have to follow tradition. A lot of the ideas I have for articles aren't based on news anyways, just ideas in my head. Actual news would be great to include, although by the time the newsletter gets to people, most would probably know about it anyways. (Unless it was kept a secret.) As far as 'how often' it would be published, it just depends on everybody's free time and when they can finish an article and when we have enough material to print an issue.

Allan

Archived