IGNORED

Intellivision Keyboard Component cassette deck

Hello everybody, I need help with my Intellivision Keyboard Component.

In the cassette deck there is a cassette stucked because a test made by the previous owner and I want to pull it out. Is it possible to manually pull out the cassette, even unmounting the machine?

Since I do not have any NTSC woody Inty console, can I use an NTSC Inty II or I risk to make damage?

Thank you! :)

The Intellivision II introduced a different video input on a different cartridge pin compared to the 2609. I don't know if the original video input that the Keyboard Component uses on the 2609 was removed on the Intellivision II. If not it could have both since they are on two different cartridge port pins. The audio input should be the same. My guess is no damage would occur either way but that is only a guess. Hopefully someone else knows the correct answer.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest buying an original Intellivision 2609, the price is small compared to the Keyboard Component. It won't look right with an Intellivision II.

I don't know about removing the stuck cassette, that thing is supposed to be completely computer controlled. You can try taking the Keyboard Component apart and getting at it from the inside. According to the service manual, "if the eject mode fails" "replace tape deck assembly". http://papaintellivision.com/docKeyboard.php From what I have read KC cassettes are slightly different than audio cassettes and probably shouldn't be used. That includes audio cassettes not being formatted as well as some physical differences with KC cassettes missing the tape leader found on audio cassettes.

edit:

Maybe try contacting Frank Palazzolo http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259937-intellivision-keyboard-component-emulation/?p=3663752. He has experience with this hardware.

Edited by mr_me

Thank you for the answer and the information. I'll get a 2609 also in order to complete the machine composition.

In the meanwhile I will also contact Frank Palazzolo and continue to look for other informations about the cassette deck.

After disassembling the top shield of the deck i saw that it seems not so easy (for me) to access the tape from there. I keep studying.

I did a test on an Inty II and the original video overlay pin still runs from pin 8 to composite video. On the Inty 1 there is a voltage-drop resistor in between since the interface point is also shared with other components, whereas on the Inty II the resistor was removed. Either way, from looking at the schematic, the input from the Keyboard Component looks like it should work for either unit. No guarantees, of course!

Done! :)

Thank you all for the checks you made and all the information you provided. I found the solenoid to open the tray and pulled out the cassette.

This is the cassette deck:

Cassette desk

and this is the KC after the cleaning and reassembly

Overall

Keyboard side

Keyboard

Sorry for the poor quality pictures...

• Like 1

When I click on your photos I get an access denied message. Feel free to post other pictures of the circuit boards and insides of this thing. I don't know if anyone has a working tape drive. You might be on your own with this one. Hopefully someone has some info. Have you tried setting it up and turning it on.

Edit:

Is there any indication of an oem manufacturer or part number other than Mattels on the tape drive assembly.

Edited by mr_me

I changed the privacy setting of the gallery, now you should be able to see the photos.

I checked the drive assembly and I didn't see any part number on it.

Actually I don't have any 2609 Master Component console in order to test it, I'm looking for to purchase one (hopefully made in USA).

It looks like you've got easy access to the drive belt, if it needs to be replaced with a fresh one. A belt that's been under tension for all these years might be stretched out and unable to turn the pulleys even if the motor operates.

With all the moving parts within reach, it should be possible to clean and lubricate anything that needs attention. I'm no expert in this area, so you should first get advice from someone who has experience with these mechanisms. But it's not rocket science. With some luck, maybe you'll be the first to get one of these pricey collectables functioning again.

• 1 month later...

It's hard to tell what commands you are typing in. I'm guessing 'eject' and then 'tape' as opposed to 'clean'.

The KC picture doesn't look very good in the video. How does it look for you; how does the picture compare to a regular intellivision cartridge?

Now all you need is a KC cassette. I wonder if it's normal for a non KC cassette to get stuck in a working unit. I found the following in the 'KC owner's book'. Looks like you don't haven to take it apart to get a stuck tape out.
post-43287-0-96119400-1496499938.png

Sorry for blurry TV image, I tuned it better than I could, using a small TV tuner connected to my test monitor :(

The commands I used were: "E" for eject the deck and "CL" to run the cleaning program which pull out the heads and starts the roller.

I'm looking for KC cassette, the normal cassette doesn't works, the drive try to rewind the tape and doesn't recognize it.

The KC tape drive uses block addressing and tapes have to be formatted to be useable. Even if you have the Basic cartridge I don't think the KC can format tapes.

Would it be possible to take a KC tape and copy it to an audio tape or even a blank KC tape using an audio tape recorder?

The KC tape drive uses block addressing and tapes have to be formatted to be useable. Even if you have the Basic cartridge I don't think the KC can format tapes.

Would it be possible to take a KC tape and copy it to an audio tape or even a blank KC tape using an audio tape recorder?

I'm guessing that a KC tape could be copied to an audio tape but that an ordinary cassette deck might work or it might not work.

KC tapes and regular tapes both have 4 tracks. However, the KC tape uses all 4 in 1 direction while an audio uses 2 in one direction (left and right audio) and 2 in the other direction (the left and right audio on the other side).

In theory, you could copy a 2 tracks at a time from KC tape to an audio tape (copy, flip both tapes over, copy again). However, there is a question of whether the data on all 4 tracks would be aligned on the new tape because of the tape flipping (and whether this would even matter, some tracks are audio-only and likely don't have any meaningful data on them when blank).

Anyways, I am just guessing. I am sure some here knows more.

It's probably the same as a 4-track tape recorder. The only difference I'm aware of is KC cassette tapes don't have the plastic leader that audio cassette tapes have.

I would think that Mattel would try to make something that couldn't be easily copied. But you never know.

Interesting question. I'm also thinking about how the save data is performed, it will be recorded into the same program tape? It could be possible to use a different cassette and the cassatte should be specific for KC or a "normal" one? I don't know anything about it, I will look for the BASIC cartridge manual hoping to find some answer.

Basic programming data tapes had to be purchased preformatted. Mattel sold them.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254364-variants-with-keyboard-component-blank-tapes/?p=3543039

Application programs like Jack Lalanne's Exercise program stored user data as well. Those tapes had two read-only tracks and two read/write; two for data and two for analog audio. That was all automated.

Here's the KC Owner's Book. http://papaintellivision.com/pdfs/KeyboardComponentOwnersBook.pdf

Here's the KC BASIC guide. http://mphokie.com/manuals/Mattel/BASIC%20Programming%20Language_0455.pdf

Edited by mr_me