IGNORED

Some good prices at Montgomery Ward in 1984

Random Terrain

This is great. Are lawn Jarts in there? The eighties. Throw oversized darts at a round ring on the ground and try not to get hit. LOL!

I remember playing lawn darts on an acreage. Nice beautiful sunny day with solid metal spikes being lobbed through the air.

All of us kids were barefoot.

Like, duh !!

I think that was the first time that the concept of "play safe" popped into my head. Something about being impaled didn't strike me as fun.

• Like 2

It's funny my aunt had real lawn darts with big nifty spikes, but by the time I got a set for Christmas, the "darts" looked like safety missiles, haha..kind of like weighted mini umbrellas...I forget what they were called. The set is still in a closet at my dad's house. Getting hit with one was about like getting hit with a softball...It didn't leave a wound.

The best, however was this dart gun I got in 1976. It came with a shooting gallery of spinning targets and it was one High-Powered dart gun! Compared to all my other dart guns, pistols and rifles, this one was about 3 times more powerful. I think you were supposed to stand 15 or 20 feet from the targets. And this gun could shoot from the far end of our kitchen to the end of the living room, no problem.

So what I did was, I got chop sticks every time we ate Chinese food, then I brought them home (unused) and sharpened them in the pencil sharpener to fine points. Then I loaded the dart gun, but gave the dart a twist and I could keep the gun cocked, but pull a dart out. Then I substituted one of my sharpened sticks for the dart...and they could fly about 40 feet with ease.

Let's just say I kept my house free from vampires!

• Like 2

I had friends who liked to light model rocket engines without the rocket. They would zip around with no direction control. That was scary, the lawn darts? Not so much :D

When I was in a thrash band (Desecrator) in the 90's, we used model rocket engine parts along with Pyrodex from our drummer's stepdad's black powder guns, to fashion our pyros onstage. The problem was we never knew exactly what we'd created, and though the audience loved it, it was a bit unsafe...We analyzed one video tape of a show in a high school and while we're jamming out, the pyro goes off (burning a hole in their stage) and the flame/sparks/cloud/controlled explosion was about 3 times the size of our guitarist,...so a little over 18 feet high...

• Like 1

This is what caught my eye.. my beloved Discwasher kit I used to clean all my records before dubbing them to tape! :lol:

attachicon.gifimage1.jpg

I had the exact same cleaner used on my old records. Any new records were played just once when I recorded them to Maxel XLII chrome tapes. The tapes still sound pretty good.
  • Like 2

I had the exact same cleaner used on my old records. Any new records were played just once when I recorded them to Maxel XLII chrome tapes. The tapes still sound pretty good.

And at our age, by and large, our hearing is nowhere as good as it was when we were teenagers anyway. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly you missed out on the steroid fueled Power of the Force series from the mid 1990s. Yeccchh.

http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2luke.asp

Bodybulding was huge in the Star Wars' universe.

Looking back at some of those pages pertaining to the Star Wars' toys makes me think how much I salivated on getting that Imperial Shuttle toy. It's still one of my favorites of the Kenner line of toys.

• Like 2

And at our age, by and large, our hearing is nowhere as good as it was when we were teenagers anyway. :D

This is so true. It really hit me on the head when I was listening to a CD of The Cars Candy O. There was a song I remembered in my youth having some high frequency synth notes that kind of jumped out as being loud compared to the rest of the music. I first noticed it as a teen after in I installed some awesome 3-way Kraco's in my 75 Torino. ;) Well anyway, I could barely hear them on the CD listeing on pretty expensive hifi. It was a very depressing moment in my life.

• Like 1