IGNORED

User Groups - did you? and which one?

jedimatt42

I was a member of the Okanagan User Group in Summerland BC back when I was still in school (it was tiny but fun, that's where I got my first PEB and XB). Later when I moved to Ottawa I was a member of the Ottawa TI Users Group, and ended up editor of the last few newsletters (because I asked them to please extend shutting down for my last few months in town, so I had to do the work, hehe ;) ).

• Like 1

Lima UG for me. Since one of our members, Charles Good, literally the face and voice of our group!, was a college prof, we effectively became a student group, which gave our tiny club access to meeting space and other niceties (photocopying facilities) for little-to-no money. I joined sometime around the third grade, and we'd maybe have 5 members regularly show up. Ohio is an interesting place. Because of the number of large cities, there were several UGs in the state. On that basis, the Lima Group decided to have a free gathering, the MUG (Multi UserGroup conference), which was pretty popular back in the day. That was something I looked forward to every year until I moved out of state.

• Like 3

A few months before I bought my TI99/4 I joined Paul Dick's "TIdings" group, which was passed on to a PR firm as TI Home Computer Club. That was no good so from issue 1, Clive Scally's TIHOME which I contributed to for many years. That became a more usual committee run group, and has just had its AGM- and still has 25 members.

From time to time I was additionally a member of various overseas (to me) groups such as the Australian TIShug or the US Chicago User Group and LA User Group.

Attn:ARNUPHIS- there weren't many ads in that issue- are you from Chingford or Cheadle Hulme... I never did get to see those programs that were advertised in that issue. Still have them in emulator format by any chance?

stephen

Well, I'm glad you persevered!

-M@

Well I really didn't. I took a Texas choice in 86 and gave my console a viking funeral from six stories (long story.)

Came back around 2006. found I could afford everything I couldn't twenty years earlier and picked it back up. It was fun while it lasted and I learned how to program but it's again time to move on for a while I think.

There are some really clever folks here like you and I imagine you will make some killer shit for the TI. I applaude you and others who actually create things for this old TI piece of crap instead of constantly talking about their 20-30 year old "projects" or treating this whole thing as social media or just being effeminate pricks. Good for you.

Keep it up Matt (and you other creators.) I Wish I was in a position to compete but I can't keep up with you studs. You're really f'n good.

Maybe I'll lurk for another 20 years and wait for an opening ?.

<Spell checkish>

Edited by marc.hull

Marc, the things you do for this machine are super-valuable too. Each of your ideas swirls around in the background for a long time and springs fully-formed onto the community like a leopard claiming its prey. The boys play your games a lot--so you've done more than "just" learn how to program. I've had fun helping on your hardware projects too--laying those boards out for you was a treat. :) The key is to find the fun in it and stick with that. Thanks for being the contributor that you are! :)

• Like 2

Attn:ARNUPHIS- there weren't many ads in that issue- are you from Chingford or Cheadle Hulme... I never did get to see those programs that were advertised in that issue. Still have them in emulator format by any chance?

stephen

Hello there. If memory serves me correctly it was in the Spring 83 Issue. I did another article or two later but I forget the dates. Probably when I re-entered the TI world in 89-90. I lived near Bristol at the time. I ended up writing a bunch of stuff but when I sold my TI (to buy a bass guitar-long story) all the cassettes went with it. Silly me. Maybe they are still floating around out there somewhere...

1980-1981 Dallas TI Users Group

We met at a Jesuit High School near SMU on Saturdays. Many rooms used with multiple demos each month.

I remember meeting TI employees and having a few look-see demos with new hardware and software.

I'd say 100+ people at some of the meetings. It was awesome! The only reason I left for Apple was the cost of upgrading from -99/4 to -99/4A plus PEB, plus disk drive, plus 32k far exceeded the cost of a ][+ with disk and nifty green screen monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk