IGNORED

7800 power problems?

Desolate One

Hey guys had a couple questions regarding the 7800 considering I'm new to this console.

What are the typical problems that plague this console if any?

Also, just picked up a 7800 lot and the system doesn't power up properly. I'm hoping it's just the power supply since there's duct tape around an area of wire. When I receive my new power supply and if I find the same problem continues what are some other things I should look at?

Thanks

Well I took the duct tape off of the power supply wire and found that the wire had been cut and then twisted back together and taped. No insulation between the two wires! I corrected the wiring mishap and attempted to power on the 7800. While the power will stay on reliable now (before it would go out and come on with any movement of the console/wires) I still get nothing but snow. I've made sure the switchbox is set to "game", I'm on the correct channel, and I've even played with the switch on the back of the console. Can you 7800 gurus come up with anything I may have missed? If I open her up is there anything I should look for? Buy another one on eBay?

Thanks.

I am no 7800 guru but can confirm the following,

Swicthboxes simply do not work with my 3 7800's, A single rf cable works fine. In fact i took the cable out of a 2600 6 switch.

The power supplies are fragile, There is a mod for use of a different one.

I am no 7800 guru but can confirm the following,

Swicthboxes simply do not work with my 3 7800's, A single rf cable works fine. In fact i took the cable out of a 2600 6 switch.

The power supplies are fragile, There is a mod for use of a different one.

Thanks. I'll look into a new power supply and getting around the switchbox. Do you think that RCA to coax adapter would work (it's on AA's howto page)?

Well I have made a power supply for my 7800 and have a standed RCA cable witht he coax adaptor on the end of that (bought in the AA store for a meassly 3 bucks) and have a decent pic, but the other thing is that not trying to be "smart" but is it set on the right channel, cause I did the same thing when I first got mine, didn't understadn the square vs circle switch.

Well I have made a power supply for my 7800 and have a standed RCA cable witht he coax adaptor on the end of that (bought in the AA store for a meassly 3 bucks) and have a decent pic, but the other thing is that not trying to be "smart" but is it set on the right channel, cause I did the same thing when I first got mine, didn't understadn the square vs circle switch.

I made sure the tele was set on channel 3 and then I played with the switch's position, no go. I'm sure one of those shapes is channel 3. I'm still waiting on my new power supply and I'll pick up one of those adaptors. Hopefully that'll solve the problem otherwise I may just pick up another 7800 console.

Archived