IGNORED

Wish I was...

kevincal

I think you will find most films are 25fps this is the movie standard?

Not an IMAX film, which is quite obviously smoother and better looking.

But in general for general movies it's 25 yeah?

I always just thought IMAX was a bigger screen with a curve to give a bettre immersion effect didn't know the fps was higher too.

I always just thought IMAX was a bigger screen with a curve to give a bettre immersion effect didn't know the fps was higher too.

Doesn't IMAX have the LCD-shutter goggles for the 3D fx as well?

So you'd expect twice the fps, as you're only seeing it with one eye at a time...unless you weren't using the headset Tbird you bad boy :D

Stone

I was always under the impression too that 60fps was faster than humans could percieve reality. My understanding was that flies and and some other animals could though. But not humans. Like a fly looking at the computer monitor would only see the one dot traveling across the screen while we see the whole picture. So this is news to me too.

I was always under the impression too that 60fps was faster than humans could percieve reality. My understanding was that flies and and some other animals could though. But not humans. Like a fly looking at the computer monitor would only see the one dot traveling across the screen while we see the whole picture. So this is news to me too.

You must be thinking of some other thing, like the human brain perceives motion in 60FPS or some other criteria.

I can guarantee you that a human can see events shorter than 1/60th of a second.

A strobe light flashing one time for a few milliseconds will definitely be seen by the human eye.

I'm not sure T-bird, but I heard humans can't see the flicker of flourescent lights,(Umm, maybe not flourescent, for some reason I can't remember the name. You know the lights in the big long tube you see flicker when they start to go bad.) Things like that, and tv's, computer monitors and such like movies moving faster than 30 fps.

Maybe what they meant was 'we cant percieve it well' rather than 'we can't percieve it at all." I dunno.

I'm not sure T-bird, but I heard humans can't see the flicker of flourescent lights,(Umm, maybe not flourescent, for some reason I can't remember the name. You know the lights in the big long tube you see flicker when they start to go bad.) Things like that, and tv's, computer monitors and such like movies moving faster than 30 fps.  

Maybe what they meant was 'we cant percieve it well' rather than 'we can't percieve it at all." I dunno.

The human eye/brain tends to integrate what we see and does a lot of averaging and filtering of the data before we actually process the images. That's what makes a motion picture appear to move to our brains.

The moving frames are similar and the strobing effect is small because the differences from one frame to another are small.

But if you stick one frame from a different movie in the middle of a movie, many people will notice the different frame as it goes by.

If people could NOT see short images like you say, we would not see dust or scratches on a movie, which we do see!

Doesn't IMAX have the LCD-shutter goggles for the 3D fx as well?

So you'd expect twice the fps, as you're only seeing it with one eye at a time...unless you weren't using the headset Tbird you bad boy :D

Stone

One way I heard of doing this was to use polarized light from 2 projectors. You then wore glasses with polarised filters in them, without the glasses the image looks kinda fuzzy and ghosty, with the glasses each eye only sees one image.

I think the actual fps needed to fool the human eye into seeing motion is as low as 15fps, but looks a bit rough. Hell Anime works and I think that uses about 15fph :)

HDTV demos I've seen were at 30fps, but the photography is incredible. IMAX films are all shot using HDTV cameras. They do not work like normal cameras. Everything that it sees is in focus, regardless of distance (not sure of the range, but we're talking miles).

The difference in fps between PAL and NTSC must be there to take advantage of the differences in power standards. Telecomm (clocking) standards use the same standard deviation. Or possibly it's the people in Europe just striving to be different. :D

But the US should adopt the Metric system.

HDTV demos I've seen were at 30fps, but the photography is incredible.  IMAX films are all shot using HDTV cameras.  They do not work like normal cameras.  Everything that it sees is in focus, regardless of distance (not sure of the range, but we're talking miles).

Any camera can focus on close and far things. You just need to set a very small aperture on the lens. The term for this is "Depth of Field", and the ability to use or not use this effect is a tool for the director to tell the story.

To get rid of this ability would be like making a camera that had no zoom lens. It would make less interesting films.

The key here is that there are some scenes where you WANT the distant objects blurry (portraits and closeups) and other scenes where you don't want the effect (landscapes, etc). Using the effect is another creative tool!

That was way too artsy for me.  HD cameras have zoom.  I'm telling you the clips I saw were incredible.  Better than a sporting event 'where you can see the blades of grass'.

The crispness of the picture has more to do with the fact that IMAX uses a film that is 70mm by 50mm, which is about 4 times the size of a standard movie. It's like going from a 320x240 monitor to a 1280x960 monitor. You get more grains of the silver-halide compounds on each frame, which is like having more pixels on your screen!

:lolblue: This talk of Imax brings up a fond childhood memory. A friend of mine was sitting next to me in an Imax featuring the aftermath of the oil fields set aflame after the 1st Gulf War. He fell asleep during the show, and all of a sudden there was a HUGE explosion and it jolted him awake so bad that he kicked a lady in the head in front of him!!! And you shoulda seen the look on his face :lol: The sound systems in Imax theatres are incredible, anyone know the specs on those? Sorry I know off topic...

At work I'm currently writing a simulator system to drive 'Buttkicker' shakers.

Might want to consider them.

:D

I'm sure I've seen 18" subs somewhere...maybe Maplin still do them :D

Sticking one of those in your car, you could probably tune it to set off car alarms as you went past ;)

Stone

At work I'm currently writing a simulator system to drive 'Buttkicker' shakers.

Might want to consider them.

:D

I'm sure I've seen 18" subs somewhere...maybe Maplin still do them :D

Sticking one of those in your car, you could probably tune it to set off car alarms as you went past ;)

Stone

LOL.. when I read that I wondered why you were talking about 18" subway sandwiches :) hehehe "I have tried everything, but I just can't get anything out of the baguette.. what am I doing wrong ? and it is starting to smell funny now" :)

LOL.. when I read that I wondered why you were talking about 18" subway sandwiches :)  hehehe  "I have tried everything, but I just can't get anything out of the baguette.. what am I doing wrong ? and it is starting to smell funny now" :)

Excellent fundamentals, baguettes :P

Stone

Archived