IGNORED

THIS IS SPARTA! - Headache - the first SDX batch game

pirx

Hello!

Headache is our proof-of-concept SDX batch game, it won 3rd place on Wapniak party that ended today.

To run, start SDX, make sure you have ENV.SYS running (it is OK to run it by typing ENV.SYS[Return] at the prompt, go to the game dir by

CD HEADACHE

and type

-START

to run the batch file.

I was pretty amazed our little 8-bitter has got such a powerful batch language and utils so I had to use them my rather silly way.

The game itself (all the texts and such) were written by my daughter Zosia in JSON file that gets translated into series of batch files with the enclosed Python script "makebato.py"

To display some kind of graphics I have made a simple converter from bitmap graphics to ATASCII, also enclosed in the source.zip archive (gfx2atascii.py). You can convert graphics not only to ATASCII characters, but to any character set, so you could prepare a charset with more varied semigraphics shapes to display quite sophisticated pictures in character modes.

Source bitmap size, contrary to the help, can be arbitrary, but the easy to display width is max 304 pixels. The converter is surprisingly slow due to me bashing it out carelessly, it can be speed up by orders of magnitude :)))

Have fun!

HEADACHE.atr

HEADACHE.TXT

source.zip

• Like 14