IGNORED

newbie Jag troubles

tyranthraxus

Note that I have no joysticks or games for my system I am just

trying to see if my Jag works before investing further.

So when I power up the Jag I get the nice little growl and Jag

logo however I get no response from the CD player. I was hoping

to be able to play a music cd to test it but I get zero response from

the CD. But the weird part is that if I unplug the cd from the Jag

base the bare system will not power up at all. No red light. I've tried

switching the two power supplies and same results.

Since up until 2 weeks ago I had no experience with the Jaguar I am

unsure of what to do.

John

Note that I have no joysticks or games for my system I am just

trying to see if my Jag works before investing further.

So when I power up the Jag I get the nice little growl and Jag

logo however I get no response from the CD player. I was hoping

to be able to play a music cd to test it but I get zero response from

the CD. But the weird part is that if I unplug the cd from the Jag

base the bare system will not power up at all. No red light. I've tried

switching the two power supplies and same results.

Since up until 2 weeks ago I had no experience with the Jaguar I am

unsure of what to do.

John

If the CD player is installed and you get a "growl" with a spinning box graphic and flying "Atari" letters while "Have you played Atari Today" tune plays, something is out of whack.

If the screen turns red at that point, then I suspect the CD player is bad, or the contacts are really dirty.

If the screen does something else at that point then I'd love to have a look at that setup, because it's not supposed to do that.

If the CD player is installed and you get a "growl" with a spinning box graphic and flying "Atari" letters while "Have you played Atari Today" tune plays, something is out of whack.

If the screen turns red at that point, then I suspect the CD player is bad, or the contacts are really dirty.

If the screen does something else at that point then I'd love to have a look at that setup, because it's not supposed to do that.

I always thought that was normal. My Jaguar will boot up with only the Jaguar CD hooked up.

Okay so a cartridge is needed!

As for the cd player when powered up the screen has the jaguar

logo pop and just stay there. It does not go to a competely red

screen. What troubles me is that there is not the slightest whir or

noise from the cd rom.

John

noise from the cd rom.

John

I know this is a really dumb question but I want to make sure to start from the basics... the cd player is plugged in right? I don't think that would be it because if I recall the Jag CD boot would still load but it would pop up a graphic saying it was unplugged.

What is wierd about your situation is that with the JAG CD plugged in you shouldn't see the spinning JAG Cube at all. It should be a VLM screen at boot instead.

noise from the cd rom.

John

I know this is a really dumb question but I want to make sure to start from the basics... the cd player is plugged in right? I don't think that would be it because if I recall the Jag CD boot would still load but it would pop up a graphic saying it was unplugged.

What is wierd about your situation is that with the JAG CD plugged in you shouldn't see the spinning JAG Cube at all. It should be a VLM screen at boot instead.

What he said - it sounds like your JagCD is broken or has really dirty contacts. If you have the JagCD plugged in then the boot-up screen is replaced by a VLM effect with the Jaguar logo over the top. No growl, no spinning cube. Anything else is almost certainly a problem with the JagCD :(

Stone

Hi!

1) Make sure the CD-Addon is seated properly into the consoles slot-bay.

A common problem is that people focus only on the front where the Addon has to snap-in but forget that the more important part is the back.

2) What happens if you

a) Don't have the power-cable in the Addon?

--> The Jaguar should show you a picture telling so.

b) Have set it under power (?) but have no CD in it?

--> The Jaguar should show another picture showing you this problem.

c) Have a Audio-CD in it?

(All Jaguar-CDs have at least one Audio-track, but please do this test with a non-Jaguar-CD)

--> The VirtualLightMachine (the Audio-player-program )should appear

d) Now Try it with a Jaguar-game-CD?

BTW:

I do have a CD-Addon which sometimes only comes up with the VLM, don't know why. It's not a problem with overheating. And although the player shows the track-data (and the playtime increases) no audio is heared.

Best regards

Matthias

I always thought that was normal. My Jaguar will boot up with only the Jaguar CD hooked up.

It will boot up with the CD hooked up, but it doesn't "roar" and do all that... it will spin the CD and do a VLM deal onscreen. If you have no CD installed in the drive then it will give the CD "?" icon onscreen. If the power supply is off on the drive then you get the picture of the missing power supply.

You know...he only gets the spinning cube and Jag growl...even with the CD addon stuck in. So what about the cart connector? It could just be that the connector is crap on the Jag itself and simply never sees the CD addon.

But what everyone else has said is true. Whether you have the power supply connected or not...you get a picture telling you the problem, a picture of the CD with a "?" on it if it can't find a CD, or you get the VLM and track details CD Player thing if you have an audio cd in the jag.

As for not hearing it spin up, you won't unless you have a CD in the thing. The laser can sense whether this is a disc in the unit or not and will not bother to spin up if it can't find one. At least, that is what mine does.

yeah i have a similer problem with my sega cd it just happend yesteday it was working fine and now it dosent even go on i checked all my wires and connections and the power dosent even go on but the genisis and the 32x are working fine?dose any body know the problem?

Archived