IGNORED

Look what I just got for $26

It will be I'm sure, I'm going to replace the 72 pin and disable the lockout just as a given but if the 72 pin isn't the fix I'm sure I can find the problem seeing as that is what I do but I got it mainly for the fact the console looked great(from what I could see of it but I figured I'd take a chance on not seeing the back of it for the price being what it was and knowing someone else would snatch it up if they seen it so I hit that "Add to cart" button quick on this one) plus it had 2 original controllers and an original zapper, and a power adapter. Most of the ones I see for sale even higher have already yellowed bad and most have cracks and these are units that sell for around $40,
"console only" and also "For parts not working". So either way I got a deal. I'll update on the condition of the NES when it gets here and may post some pics. After I get it working I'm going to do the HDMI upgrade on it from GameTechUs.

EDIT:

Just seen the other post that came in I have a power adapter like that, and I would use something like that if it were for me but I'm going to fix this up to sell so I'm going to use http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-8-Bit-AC-adaptor-for-original-Nintendo-New-Adapter-Power-Supply-AC-OUTPUT/172671611310?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649just because it says "For NES" on it and people are picky about that kinda thing.

Edited by SignGuy81

I have spare everything around this place. Like I mentioned before 90 percent of the time you can't find "console only" listings for NES less than $40, sold as is for parts so I think I got a pretty good deal considering I repair electronics and it came with extras.

I could have probably showed a listing where if I bought a Nintendo that said "Not working" but included 4 controllers, multitap, zapper, 4 games, game genie, etc. and paid $5 i would probably still get comments like, "Better hope it works" or "I see why it was so cheap"

Edited by SignGuy81

I did the same thing many years ago. I had this as a kid but gave it up many years ago unwillingly. The I found another one on ebay may years ago. About 20 dollars but it was junk with an n ac adapter with cracked shell that worked with tape but eventually went bad. The generics worked fine. Well the one from Walmart did anyhow. One I got from bestbuy DYNEX did not oddly enough. But the main unit was fine. It was parts also. Just a blinking red light and a small chip on one of the corners. But after a new 72 pin it worked fine. NO other problems. And after that wore down adding a game genie fixed everything. Genie has fatter pcb so it makes better contact with the pins. Now since classic edition came out everything is 75-130 ish just for a bare Nintendo or even with 2 games and controller for example.

Just took it out of box today and is working perfectly fine after a little work. I had to bend the pins on the 72 pin connector was all. I'm going to replace it with a new one and do the hdmi mod i mentioned to it also before I sell it.

The NES was in almost perfect cosmetic shape, no yellowing whatsover and no cracks anywhere, just a little dirt here and there that needed cleaning. For the price I paid and the fact that it came with two original NES controllers, and an original zapper, this was a steal.

Welcome to the Juicers list.

I guess I should instead replace the 72 pin connector with a new one, replace the caps, throw in a brand new AC adapter, do an HDMI mod, clean it inside and out including the controllers, and then offer it for free to a good home, and maybe even throw in a TV with the offer, along with every other piece of electronics I restore.

Of coarse I am going to sell it. Why wouldn't I if I don't need it and I was willing to put the work into it. You don't even know how much I would price it at either so you have no clue. I don't believe in ripping people off, so when I do list it, it will be an honest price.

I guess I should instead replace the 72 pin connector with a new one, replace the caps, throw in a brand new AC adapter, do an HDMI mod, clean it inside and out including the controllers, and then offer it for free to a good home, and maybe even throw in a TV with the offer, along with every other piece of electronics I restore.

Of coarse I am going to sell it. Why wouldn't I if I don't need it and I was willing to put the work into it. You don't even know how much I would price it at either so you have no clue. I don't believe in ripping people off, so when I do list it, it will be an honest price.

Some people around here think that a profit on risk and work is a sin ... I nor ice are those people but they exist

That Juicers list is kind of hypocritical, isn't it? "How dare you flip this purchase you made on eBay for a profit! By the way, here's something I bought at a garage sale for five bucks. You can have it for $100." I think we've ALL been pretty, uh, juicy on AtariAge at one time or another.

Some people around here think that a profit on risk and work is a sin ... I nor ice are those people but they exist

Yeah I figured after I posted he could have just been letting me know and not accusing me of being one but didn't think until after I posted then went on there and seen someone put him on the juicer list so yeah I didn't know. Sorry bout that Ice I misread that.

That Juicers list is kind of hypocritical, isn't it? "How dare you flip this purchase you made on eBay for a profit! By the way, here's something I bought at a garage sale for five bucks. You can have it for $100." I think we've ALL been pretty, uh, juicy on AtariAge at one time or another.

oh I will tell you or anyone that I do it all the time, but I take the risk, I put in the work refurbishing and modding it , the console is just the start of it

for every system that I sell online, people dont see the (small) pile of unfixable garbage that smells of 30 year old cat pee that heads directly to the bin

back on topic, good score, hope it works out for you, at least the case is in good condition so worse comes to worse you can swap it out with a working junker (ok yea its got a slight tan and needs a bath, but its not all busted up and mustard yellow)

Edited by Osgeld

I thought the Juicers list was meant for more predatory scumbags who go after people with intent to rip them off, deceive, or otherwise manipulate a mark to turn a profit. Someone listing a cheap item that still ends up with no/low bids on ebay, posted as such on craigslist(and friends) that you just get first and put time into cleaning up to resell, if not doing some light to heavy modding to really make it special seems undeserving.

That NES was a fantastic score. Legit too, if they thought it was broken, and they either were too lazy to try and fix it, didn't care to try and fix it, or didn't know they even could...oh well. As said the controllers alone pretty much were the cost of it in the end. I'd probably even have popped on it at under $30 as I've been eyeballing finding an old NES again that is in very very nice (like I treat my stuff) shape. I have a modded top loader, but I'm not like in love with it or anything. A good stock pin boiling, pin4 snipping, and generalized tear down, cleaning, and if needed some pin bending and you can make a NES tick along like a good watch.

Yeah I was not being serious. However some people get pissed if you profit off anything. Oh you spend 10 years going to garage sales, thrift stores, and searching craigslist and finally found a gem for $5. How dare you try to sell it for more. You should pass that find onto someone else who can profit .... errr I mean enjoy it.

Yeah exactly. I know you weren't. Sarcasm isn't always best figured out in text but that was clear.

I mean really who hasn't done it? I guess it was 7 years ago now about I found for $5 Shantae out at the Oceanside CA swap meet. Tried as I would for a few months I couldn't get into or enjoy the game very much at all. I ended up selling it for over $100 (the going rate even then for it, one of the rare GB games that went early collectard value.) I was happy to have the dough as I turned it around into a few other gems instead as I was an active buyer/player at that rate with no child in the house. I still do it too. I don't always seek stuff for straight profit, usually it has to be something that appeals to me gaming wise and if it ends up sucking or I just dislike it -- it's extra spending money. If that's a crime, so be it.

Yeah exactly. I know you weren't. Sarcasm isn't always best figured out in text but that was clear.

he wasnt talking to you, mr center of the universe, he was talking to the op, you are the Donny of this conversation

we all established that it was a satirical remark well before hand (even the op made that connection 2 hours ahead of someone having to explain it)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

But then why buy it if you never needed it in the first place?

I have a lot of crap I don't need. People buy things they want, for whatever purpose that may be, that is how the economy works. I'm later this week meeting someone picking up 5 game systems for $40(unless the guy has been pulling my leg) which includes an atari 2600 with joysticks and paddles and 8 games, a playstation, a sega genesis with a contrller, atari flashback with wireless controllers, and an xbox 360. All that for $40. I don't need any of those at all but when I see a deal I'm going to buy it, so I can put some work into them if they need it and sell it, and guess what some I might not even do anything to and turn around and sell it for twice what I paid for it. Some of it may be crap that I can't sell in horrible cosmetic shape that I just have to let sit for parts or throw away if I don't have room for.

Restoring these things take a lot of time and effort if done properly. Sometimes I've spent a whole day on one system or even longer if experimenting with stuff on it. I don't even want to get started on Xbox 360s I've repaired which I quit doing for the most part. For all of those other than the few that having something wrong other than the RROD I've had to pre-heat the board for over 6 hours in an oven to allow any possible moisture that may be present to escape before attempting a reflow to prevent damaging the CPU or GPU(seen some vids on youtube people skip that step and then on top of that will take a heat gun you'd buy from lowe's and reflow, no temperature monitoring or anything, no hot plate to evenly heat the board, makes me cringe). Before even doing anything at all to those units you have to take them apart, clean all the dust out, clean the fans, I like to wash the cases too. Then the work of getting it setup to do the reflow you need heat tape and foil tape(some people do it without it but i use it), no clean liquid flux, thermal paste, all materials I need keep stocked to do the job, some of the fans have bad bearings and need replaced, some of them need belts replaced on the DVD drives. My point being is that time and money goes into the repairs so yes they will be sold for money, not given away for free. It is always risk involved but i like working on consoles so that is why I get them so I can fix them if possible. And even after all that not charge much for the 360s as I know a reflow is a temporary repair and the problem will eventually come back but I've got units out there I've repaired that I know have lasted over 2 years.

And I didn't need any of those consoles in the first place but I bet some people are glad that I got them because they got a good deal on a working system because of me.

We should just let broken stuff go in the dump. It seems we would make many people happier instead of investing our time, money, and knowledge fixing this stuff up and selling for more than we paid. People want stuff to be saved but yet they expect people to do it for free.

Morons. Well you only paid $20 for it, how dare you charge $50 after you put time and money into fixing it.... your such a scumbag and rip people off!

Maybe people should invest years to teach themselves an entire field of work so they can save $30 and fix something themselves.... makes a lot of sense.

But then why buy it if you never needed it in the first place?

To fix it. Because that's fun for him. I don't need a cross-stitched map of Koholint Island from Link's Awakening, but I'm making one anyway because I enjoy it. I've been working on it over a year now & I don't even know if I'll keep it when it's done. I suppose the difference is, I'd donate my map to Desert Bus before I'd sell it- but then again, floss & aida cloth is less expensive then solder & chips.

If buying broken machines to fix & flip makes someone happy, I say go for it! It's less waste in junkyards. It's also more working consoles available to purchase, which drives DOWN prices for the rest of us who can't do the work ourselves. And if we ever need a repair or want to try it ourselves, we have someone to turn to for help/advice. It's wins all around!

Hey...got one better. A few years ago I bought a TurboGrafix 16 system with the box (no instructions or inserts), a controller and a few games for 50 cents.

I kid you not. Posted it on Digital Press when I got it. The people who owned found it in a closet and just tossed it out for sale nit knowing if it worked.

Another controller, a few other games and a Genesis power supply later I sell it on eBay for waaaay more than I paid. Guess that makes me just as scummy.

Situations like the NES mini where people scooped them up by the truckload to knowingly sell them at a high price because they made a hard to get product imposdible to get is scummy. Buying a system cheap, fixing it up and selling it is not. That thought can be channeled to home buyers, car folk and tbe like.

Things like this is why the collecting hobby for me is losing its luster.

I agree with those posts. There's a pretty obvious line between finding something used cheap and cleaning it up, fixing it from a broken state too -- and then douchebags who snap up $60 NES CE systems to flip for $200+ because they know they can strangle a market on a new good keeping it off the shelf. The end result is the same, profit, but the avenue to do it makes you resourceful and helpful in one, being a piece of crap scalper with a detriment to society in many levels would be the other. Collecting lost the luster to me, it's why I keep peeling off more and more to just get rid of it. I'm receding to mostly just keeping what i had in the pre-2000 era with a few exceptions as the fun got sucked out of it. That and I went towards a pinball machine and arcade cabinet too for some new variety instead.

If buying broken machines to fix & flip makes someone happy, I say go for it! It's less waste in junkyards.

Yes of course but only if it works. 26 is a steel. But if it arrived dead and was not fixable then 26 is a waste. Even 40 for 5 systems as someone else said is a good deal. Assuming its fixable. They could be ll dead. Or only 1 works after combining the parts. Not worth the risk.