IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

In 2005 RWB came out/licensed a series of coleco headtohead handheld games. They were sold in Walmarts.

http://electronicbaseball.blogspot.ca/2014/06/coleco-head-to-head-baseball-re-issue.html?m=1

I wonder if that was successfull for them. What is your guess as to how many sold.

Nobody else was using coleco headtohead brands. In the case of colecovision some people are using the brand and it could be an issue.

---------

Even if Coleco had first party IP, RWB cannot claim it like they did the trademarks. They would have to convince the owner to sell/license it to them.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I think River West Brands understands everything. They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the Coleco name on it to a million people who also don't care much about Coleco.

I think you could say that about any of the Dormitus brands.

They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the Cingular Wireless name on it to a million people who also don't care much about Cingular Wireless.

They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the BRIM Coffee Brand name on it to a million people who also don't care much about BRIM Coffee Brand.

They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the CROSS COLOURS name on it to a million people who also don't care much about CROSS COLOURS.

They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the Aiwa name on it to a million people who also don't care much about Aiwa.

They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the Underalls name on it to a million people who also don't care much about Underalls.

They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the Handspring name on it to a million people who also don't care much about Handspring.

They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the Spuds MacKenzie name on it to a million people who also don't care much about Spuds MacKenzie.

Tell me I'm wrong

• Like 5

Real issue is that River West Brands believes there is money in the Coleco brand which was totally damaged belong belief by the real Coleco which is the reason Hasbro phased it out

That is my guess on what they are gambling on. The general classic and nostalgia market is doing fairly well at the moment. Late baby boomers have disposable income, and may be ignorant of the issues and facts concerning Coleco Holdings, let alone even care. They may have had a Coleco branded product in their youth.

Marketing people push all kinds of useless things on people, from pet rocks to Kardashian branded credit cards for which they get a percentage of every gullible users transaction, and also in the form of the higher interest rate.

Now while the market is not large, if at some point they can get a deal with a Target, K Mart, or Walmart type outfit, or even a Family Dollar or Dollar General for brand name usage on 500,000+ cheap Chinese made toys, that could be worth a few thousand bucks in someone's pocket.

One more thing after reading the Hack-A-Day article. In a sick, twisted and perverse way there is a demented logic to pulling down fansites. You see, if a company did want to pull any dirty tricks to make a buck, say like a phoney kick-started project, without the fansites, the information would not spread as fast and any dirty dealings might go unnoticed. Ignorance can truly be bliss to some with dubious intentions..

* DISCLAIMER:

These are just general comments and the OPINION of the poster, and is not intended to imply any wrong by a specific company, merely what could be done by any company with a specific intent.

• Like 2

the more I feel like Coleco Holdings is just being a trademark squatter (the trademark equivalent of a patent troll) and trying to appear arrogantly magnanimous in its "generous" support for the homebrew community

Quite a few of those floating around in the retro homebrew community. They use threats of lawsuits (lawsuits that I guarantee they would lose) and people back down because the games they fight over are usually hot garbage and not worth the fight. They are a cancer.

If I worked for a company selling brand A, I would not hesitate to recommend brand B to a customer if I felt it would be a better fit for the customer's specific needs. That isn't to say brand A that I am paid to sell is not a good product, but one should always put the customer's needs above their own, and this honesty may result in repeat business when the customer needs something else.

The original Miracle on 34th Street is one of my favorite movies too.

• Like 3

This has just been posted in the comments section of the above linked article. This contains the usual misinformation (e.g. "After being ignored...") being spread by Cardillo and so I will leave it up to those directly affected by what Coleco Holdings LLC are doing to respond with a clarification should you wish to do so.

"I have been friends since adolescence with one of the co-owners of Coleco and I have spoken with him about this.

Their issue is the use of the ColecoVision logo on these games. I was told that if these particular homebrewers were to say “For play on:ColecoVision” in a common font without using the official ColecoVision logo, they wouldn’t object.
After being ignored when they asked the developer(s) to remove the logo from the adult themed games and unlicensed reproduction of Nintendo games, Coleco called in the lawyers.
They did this to make sure that Nintendo didn’t think that Coleco was behind those unlicensed games and come after them.
I’m sure there are three sides to this story but it’s not as cut and dried as “Big, bad Coleco craps on homebrewer’s parade”."

Why would Nintendo think that?

colecoxpsplash-orig_orig.png

I know is been mentioned like 30 times here the whole advertising on their site. But this would fall in fair use, because they are advertising an event that will/may have Nintendo products. It is like used game shops put up posters of Mario Kart or whatever to advertise they have the game. It bugs me that this point keeps being brought out because is Moot.

That comment on Kotaku is what I suspected, them not wanting their logo to be placed on games that are infringing on Nintendo properties, because Nintendo very likely would come after them and not the homebrewer.

The way they handled the situation with the Facebook page/fan sites. That's another story and I still stand with my point of view.

• Like 1

Using competitors trademarks in the same industry which the company has no history generally is against Fair Usage

Coleco Holding trademarks are under Toys and Gaming industry

What?

So if I make a convention/expo about retro gaming, I cannot add a picture of Mario 3? Because I am a competitor of Nintendo? So JJgames, nintendosforsale.com, estarland, all those online sites are infringing trademark/copyright for using Nintendo characters to advertise their stores?

That is fair use to me, but oh well.

Not just that, they are using the same trademarks all over their websites

So if I make a convention/expo about retro gaming, I cannot add a picture of Mario 3? Because I am a competitor of Nintendo? So JJgames, nintendosforsale.com, estarland, all those online sites are infringing trademark/copyright for using Nintendo characters to advertise their stores?

Nintendo could make the case, usually they don't if they re sale/sale official Nintendo products as that could be fair useage

But let say Xbox did a expo with Mario 3 or Zelda I doubt a court would be easy on them

• Like 1

I think River West Brands understands everything. They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the Coleco name on it to a million people who also don't care much about Coleco. They need to establish ownership of the brand which might be a little iffy right now. To do that they need to do what they are doing. If they alienate a few hundred (or more) fans it does not matter to them.

Edit: The only thing they might not understand is where/how they are going to get Colecovision content/games?

Very true. Apple understands this when they make changes to the app store and developer policies. They also totally ignore product suggestions, simple or complex. If they loose a few customers along the way it's no big deal.

WIth iTunes it's just as bad. They outright said, "Current changes to the product may upset users, but that is no problem. We fully expect and some churn. The old crowd goes away, and we market to the new crowd."

So yes, this is expected and planned for in every company.

Regarding where RWB is going to get software? No big deal. They will hire out developers, or they will buy-out existing homebrewers. They have more money to play with than any homebrewer I know of. So a buyout is simple.

If the oldsters don't wanna do it, well, then, there's always a lackey ready to "Work for Coleco!!" Wow!! How cool is that!

I've been fooled before, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was just poor handling of mostly wanting the CV logo changed. Hanlon's Razor and all that.

I wish I knew who that was. I just flipped through a dozen pages of stock photos in an attempt to find him. We know COLECOtm likes their off-the-shelf materials.

It took some sleuthing, but I think I found it. I don't mean to start a rumor, but it would be hi-larious if it wasn't even a stock photo--but rather just one found on the web.

It appears to be from a small (or private?) studio's photo project. Mind you, the same photo can be seen on http://colecotoys.com/ so it's probably done with permission; it's completely possible the photographers put it for licensing somewhere or Coleco contacted them directly. It just would be too juicy if not.

The post: https://liftoffphotography.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/project-52-week-10-gamers/

post-39941-0-01184200-1495741083_thumb.jpg

Edited by PlaysWithWolves
  • Like 3

I think River West Brands understands everything. They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the Coleco name on it to a million people who also don't care much about Coleco. They need to establish ownership of the brand which might be a little iffy right now. To do that they need to do what they are doing. If they alienate a few hundred (or more) fans it does not matter to them.

Edit: The only thing they might not understand is where/how they are going to get Colecovision content/games?

Actual Colecovision compatibility is a technical liability if your goal is to make and sell microgames to a mass market.

The cheapest hardware worth mass producing in 2017 is somewhere between PS2 and PS3 in terms of capability,

and it is far, far easier to pump out Coleco-era-looking games that target this actual hardware,

because there is no need to fit everything into Colecovision's extreme technical limitations:

no scrolling background

32 16x16 pixel sprites with 1 color each, only 4 per scanline

16 total colors

2 colors per 8x1 background pixels

1KB RAM

Z80 ASM is the only programming language

There is no mass market business value in producing Colecovision games in 2017, because the cost of dealing with the above limitations vastly exceeds whatever profit could be recouped.

So anyone who wants to make big money from the Coleco name these days, wouldn't be interested in Colecovision games per se.

They'd be more interested in a fantasy platform like pico-8 that provided the same nostalgia feel, but which didn't have expensive technical limitations.

• Like 1

Explain

It's fairly obvious that when prices are affixed to homebrews and thereby treated as products, it becomes a commercial enterprise. People can bicker over the relative scale of this commercialization (and have in this and related threads), but it is what it is. Etc.

It's fairly obvious that when prices are affixed to homebrews and thereby treated as products, it becomes a commercial enterprise. People can bicker over the relative scale of this commercialization (and have in this and related threads), but it is what it is. Etc.

I respect your point of view

But try making homebrews (and keep going) ....if you're doing this for the wrong reasons, you're going to be burned out in only a few releases

We might look like a compamy, but when you're doing almost everything by hands, plus packing, shipping so many packages

You better be passionate about it

• Like 5