IGNORED

AtGames Genesis/MD Flashback (2017 Version)

godslabrat

This was announced a few days ago, but I'm still not seeing a lot of info on it. Here's the primary source I can find: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/atgames_is_releasing_a_new_sega_genesis_clone_to_rival_the_nes_classic_mini

...And reading the comments, I can already see a big issue brewing. People aren't able to distinguish this from the other Genesis clones that have flooded the market over the years. If this is actually an effort to raise the bar on those, more power to AtGames. And if it isn't... well, carry on, I suppose.

We've been talking about this quite a bit in the other threads here on AtariAge for some time. If there's anything you'd like to know (that I can actually reveal), just ask.

I've seen you allude to it in the NES Mini thread, but thought it was worth a new thread. And, like I said, there's still a lot of confusion between this and the previous product.

My questions:

Can you confirm this will be an ARM board with a fresh emulator, or is there even a chance it's still the same Genesis-on-a-chip that was found in Firecore products?

Is the HDMI native, or upscaled analog?

Confirm SD card support?

Confirm the wireless controllers are NOT Infrared?

And finally... is the system a "mini" or a full-size genesis? I'm wondering about the proportion of the cart slot to the rest of the system.

Honestly, the game list looks reasonably strong (minus the public domain stuff which I'll just ignore). If the build quality and playback are solid, I'm on board.

BTW, I finally found your contributions in the Atari all-in-one thread. Sorry to ask you to repeat yourself, I'm not really a fan of those devices (nothing personal, just not my speed) so I don't read that subforum.

I've seen you allude to it in the NES Mini thread, but thought it was worth a new thread. And, like I said, there's still a lot of confusion between this and the previous product.

My questions:

Can you confirm this will be an ARM board with a fresh emulator, or is there even a chance it's still the same Genesis-on-a-chip that was found in Firecore products?

Confirm SD card support?

And finally... is the system a "mini" or a full-size genesis? I'm wondering about the proportion of the cart slot to the rest of the system.

Honestly, the game list looks reasonably strong (minus the public domain stuff which I'll just ignore). If the build quality and playback are solid, I'm on board.

Can't answer the HDMI question, but the controllers are listed as being 2.4ghz wireless. That would be RF and not IR based which is a good thing. So there is that at least.

• Like 1

My questions:

Confirm SD card support?

It's new emulation on an ARM-like/Android-like hardware platform. That enables all kinds of nifty features like rewind and save states (including for cartridge games). The SD products will still use "Firecore" hardware, albeit with some minor tweaks (for instance, the Genesis one now supports stereo).

It's 720p native.

No SD card support.

All IR controllers have been officially retired. The SD products are wired only now, and the HD products are using a 2.4 GHZ Bluetooth-like technology, but also retain wired controller ports.

It's like a mini Sega Genesis 1 in terms of styling (not an exact replica, but fairly close). It's a bit wider than a standard Genesis cartridge, obviously.

It's new emulation on an ARM-like/Android-like hardware platform. That enables all kinds of nifty features like rewind and save states (including for cartridge games). The SD products will still use "Firecore" hardware, albeit with some minor tweaks (for instance, the Genesis one now supports stereo).

It's 720p native.

No SD card support.

All IR controllers have been officially retired. The SD products are wired only now, and the HD products are using a 2.4 GHZ Bluetooth-like technology, but also retain wired controller ports.

It's like a mini Sega Genesis 1 in terms of styling (not an exact replica, but fairly close). It's a bit wider than a standard Genesis cartridge, obviously.

Well, I really wanted an NES Mini. This gives me a very similar experience (albeit with a completely different set and era of games) for about the same price. If the reviews don't tell me the PQ and AQ are awful, I think I'll get it.

... which I'm sure is exactly what the goal was. :-)

I wish they would focus on quality. If handled correctly this unit would be awesome. Step one: put all the would be games on a multi-cart.

There is an improved focus on quality, especially for the HD products. We'll see though if any issues present themselves in production.

As for the multi-cart thing, that's not going to happen. The target demographic is about plug and play convenience. AtGames will be manufacturing some new cartridges though (separately) that I think some people without flash carts (and collector's) might find of interest.

• Like 2

The question is : do they plan to develop their own emulator or will they discretly copy some open-source one to save development costs like Hyperkin did?

AtGames always develops their own emulators. If any outside emulators will ever be used, it will be with a proper license.

• Like 1

@Bill: thanks for your insight

The release date seems to coincide with WaterMelon game Paprium (formerly known as Project Y) release date so I would not be surprised if this is the kind of partnership thatwill be announced, maybe as a bundle game who knows?

@Bill: thanks for your insight

The release date seems to coincide with WaterMelon game Paprium (formerly known as Project Y) release date so I would not be surprised if this is the kind of partnership thatwill be announced, maybe as a bundle game who knows?

It's not about a homebrew.