IGNORED

Svengoolie 7800 game

GeekDragon

OK, so sales are out of the question. That's sad, but understandable, I guess.. Of course you could release the rom and the label artwork for free, adding a disclaimer message that it was fan art and not to be sold in any form.. There's nothing they can do about that, since you wouldn't be selling anything, it would just be fan made art. "IF" someone were to then put it on a cart for their own personal use, what are they gonna do about it? :twisted: I mean really, there's nothing they can do, because there's no crime in making something and giving it away for free. OK, unless it's something like methamphetamine, in which case it IS illegal. I go back to my original Disney scenario. I draw a picture of Mickey Mouse and then I sing- "M I C K E Y M O U S E!" and upload it to youtube, what can they do, have it removed from Youtube? Doubtful, but "IF" they did, someone could have already downloaded it and put it all over the internet. I just don't see how anything made by a fan and then given away can infringe on a trademark. If it did, we'd have all been sued at one time or another. Maybe I don't respect the laws, I don't know. OK, Actually I do know. I DON'T respect a lot of the laws, because they are ridiculous. It just seems to me that if someone puts their time and energy into making something (NOT METH), they have the right to do whatever they want with it. You did the RIGHT thing by asking for permission. Had it been me, I would have released the game and not even thought about the repercussions for one second. Considering how small the Atari community is compared to other things, MeTV would have never even known my game was released and if they had, then they could try to sue me. It's not like they could get anything from me, if it even made it to court. :P

Like I said, you did the right thing by asking for permission, That's the respectful and honorable thing to do, so you get points for that. If you don't release the rom, that's fine, I would never hold it against you and I'm sure no one else in the community would either. We'll respect whatever decision you make. :thumbsup:

OK, so sales are out of the question. That's sad, but understandable, I guess.. Of course you could release the rom and the label artwork for free, adding a disclaimer message that it was fan art and not to be sold in any form.. There's nothing they can do about that, since you wouldn't be selling anything, it would just be fan made art. "IF" someone were to then put it on a cart for their own personal use, what are they gonna do about it? :twisted: I mean really, there's nothing they can do, because there's no crime in making something and giving it away for free. OK, unless it's something like methamphetamine, in which case it IS illegal. I go back to my original Disney scenario. I draw a picture of Mickey Mouse and then I sing- "M I C K E Y M O U S E!" and upload it to youtube, what can they do, have it removed from Youtube? Doubtful, but "IF" they did, someone could have already downloaded it and put it all over the internet. I just don't see how anything made by a fan and then given away can infringe on a trademark. If it did, we'd have all been sued at one time or another.

Money exchange or lack thereof doesn't matter in terms of trademarks, copyrights, etc. That stuff covers *use*. If you use a protected item in any kind of public form, you have to have permission to do it, free or not. (Private use is usually okay.)

I applaud frankodragon for making the attempt. I get sick of hearing about people opening their mouths about the homebrew scene and how the developers of conversions of existing games didn't get permission from the copyright holders -- from what I can tell, for the most part, either they did or they put in their best efforts only to get zero response despite repeated attempts.

well thats sucks,would have been cool to have a sven rom to play on the 7800 or on emu.
as to your question about other sven merch out there not done by metv, the early red t-shirts with the original svengollie on it comes to mind, some people try to make it re-sell it off as
official merch. there are prob other un-offical sven merch as well I don't know about. but the red shirt is the one gets most attention.

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

It's probably a waste of time, but how about contacting MeTV and asking if they would sell it through their online merchandise store? You or Atariage produce the carts and they market/sell them. Probably way too niche but maybe they would like the retroness of it.