IGNORED

32X and Sega CD

2600problems

how is Vanilla doom hard to go back to? granted its old but at least, compared to a certain other game (cough ** daikatana cough) it's supremely playable, has a really good mod community and of course Brutal Doom.

When you're talking about certain mods including Brutal DOOM, you are no longer talking about Vanilla DOOM (i.e., stock original MS-DOS or DOOM 95 versions). You are going to be running those in modern source ports, and chances are you will have features enabled that enhances the look of the game (like bringing it up to 1080p, for instance).

and no spider mastermind? no Baron of hell? Hell even the f**king BFG is missing from the 32X port. for a system boasting to be "six times more powerful than the 3DO" this is a damn shame.

I am under the impression you mean the Cyber Demon. There are several Barons in the 32X version of DOOM, the first two being where you would expect them to be.

I have never seen Sega advertise the 32X as being "six times more powerful than the 3DO." If it exists, feel free to post a link to some advertising material showing that. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, and I think it would be interesting to check out, I have just never seen it myself.

Side note, the BFG is in the game--it can only be accessed with cheats.

and one more thing, and this I will never understand, why in the name of god, does the 32X port have a DOS prompt if you cheat?

It was probably humor from the development team, given the origins of DOOM (DOS).

This is an aside, but I think a little perspective goes a long ways when talking about 32X DOOM. For one, if I recall correctly, the period from the 32X add-on initial inception to its full physical release was something like a mere eight to ten months. If this is the case, it certainly didn't give potential developers much time to work on its early software (DOOM falls into this category). Second, we're also talking about a game released on sub-$200 hardware, versus a game originally meant to be played on $2,000+ computers. Yeah, it's a shame features are missing, but it is what it is, and taking the context of the time into consideration, there still wasn't anything like it on anything other than the Jaguar at the time of its release. It was still impressive back then, and people still enjoyed it for what it was. And today, at its core it's still a damn-fun game in its existing form on 32X, just one that's been made redundant by superior versions elsewhere (not to mention easier access of the original PC game in the form of Steam, GoG and modern source ports).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

how is Vanilla doom hard to go back to? granted its old but at least, compared to a certain other game (cough ** daikatana cough) it's supremely playable, has a really good mod community and of course Brutal Doom.

It's precisely because Doom has a really good mod community that vanilla 1993-style Doom is hard to go back to. After decades of enhancements, source ports, and mods, the original unaltered game is a little unrefined by comparison. And without basic elements like mouselook or jumping/crouching (which GZDoom and Zandronum both support, thankfully), even the gameplay is somewhat alien through the eyes of the expectations and sensibilities that developed, oh, almost immediately after Doom II. It's still highly playable, of course, but I only fire up plain old unenhanced vanilla Doom for nostalgia's sake.

Smooth Doom with HD texture and sound packs are my go-to mods. They don't change the core vanilla gameplay but give a much more pleasing Doom experience.

Brutal Doom....eh. I was on that bandwagon for a while, and have played it since around V15, but it's just gotten too over the top for my liking with the more recent versions and I went back to vanilla(ish) gameplay, or earlier versions of Brutal. The Starter Pack maps are absolutely gorgeous, though--I play those with Smooth Doom.

by the way, Doom for the SNES can die in a fire. no extra episodes without raising the difficulty? in a game where a lack of circle strafing and infighting being gone is a death sentence, that warrents a fuck you. still an impressive achievement, especially given how taxing it was to the Super FX chip. makes me wonder why the 32X version looks worse in comparison.

and no spider mastermind? no Baron of hell? Hell even the f**king BFG is missing from the 32X port. for a system boasting to be "six times more powerful than the 3DO" this is a damn shame.

and one more thing, and this I will never understand, why in the name of god, does the 32X port have a DOS prompt if you cheat?

The only reason to play any console port of Doom is it's 1995 and you don't have a PC. :P

I got the Sega CD right around launch and loved it. The only computer I had then was a Commodore 128, so being able to play games like Wing Commander, Secret of Monkey Island, and Rise of the Dragon was pretty awesome for me. I also loved Third World War.

At the time, some of those FMV games (Like Sherlock Holmes and Night Trap) were pretty mind blowing even if the game play was lacking. I had remembered being so impressed when I heard "Welcome to Joe Montana Football" the first time on the Genesis, and now, a few years later, was hearing entire dialogue and video embedded in a video game.

The 32X I never had when it released, or even played it back then. I got one new sometime in the late 90s/ early 2000s for $20. But by then,it wasn't that impressive. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I had played it when it first released. It would be interesting now to see what homebrewers could do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I never owned either one back in the day, but I had friends that owned them. The Sega CD was impressive to me, even though all the games my buddy had were all mostly crappy FMV games. I always thought to myself, "Why are the Sega CD games so different than the Genesis ones?" Of course, many years later I did find out that there were plenty of great games on the system.

A different friend had the 32X, and I remember being pretty frickin' underwhelmed. It had more traditional games which was a plus, but the graphics didn't seem like that big of a jump from the Genesis. I did eventually get lucky and score a free one as part of a Genesis bundle a few years ago, but most of the games didn't appeal to me, so I ended giving it to a friend.

• 4 weeks later...

I consider the Sega CD essential because of all the Working Designs titles and Shining Force CD. Especially the Lunar games and Popful Mail.

Doom on the 32X is not a good port. To play classic Doom, I look at the PlayStation port as the best available. The SNES, 32X, and Saturn versions are all far too choppy to be enjoyable to me.

I have a 32X but it doesn't get a ton of use (other than being what I plug carts into). NBA Jam TE is better on that system than it is on the SNES or Genesis. Kolibri is cool. Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing are both excellent, but there are now better ports of both. Not quite essential but I think it's worth owning.

• Like 1

I consider the Sega CD essential because of all the Working Designs titles and Shining Force CD. Especially the Lunar games and Popful Mail.

Doom on the 32X is not a good port. To play classic Doom, I look at the PlayStation port as the best available. The SNES, 32X, and Saturn versions are all far too choppy to be enjoyable to me.

I have a 32X but it doesn't get a ton of use (other than being what I plug carts into). NBA Jam TE is better on that system than it is on the SNES or Genesis. Kolibri is cool. Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing are both excellent, but there are now better ports of both. Not quite essential but I think it's worth owning.

... retyped without permission from a VideoGameCritic review

http://videogamecritic.com/32xal.htm?e=79158#rev2962

'Each stage is introduced with a password, and the odd stage titles include "Deep Seeding", "Dark Cavity", "Penetration", "Eruption", and last but not least - "New Infection". Yeah, these programmers were some really lonely guys!'

I beat, but didn't at all enjoy Kolibri. The 2P mode is basically unplayable, the controls are wonky (when you stop and then try to move in a different direction, the game sometimes forces you to continue in the direction you were going), the respawning enemies are irritating as hell, and the level design gets phoned-in very quickly. It's a pretty game, but if you really try to play it, it's not a good one.

The 32X game I found surprisingly addictive was Motocross Championship. Everyone says it's garbage, but it's one of the few racing games I've ever bothered to finish -- on multiple difficulty levels, no less -- and it's got no rubberband AI, which is a blessed relief: if you get way ahead, you stay way ahead.

Sure, it's rough around the edges and could have used a lot more polishing, but once you master the controls and learn how to avoid the massive traffic jam that mars the start of every race, it's a pretty comfortable little racer.

I beat, but didn't at all enjoy Kolibri. The 2P mode is basically unplayable, the controls are wonky (when you stop and then try to move in a different direction, the game sometimes forces you to continue in the direction you were going), ....

ROTFL, sorry but after the VideoGameCritic spelling of the stage titles, the fact that the developers did not know how to deal with 2P comes as no surprise to me .... and perfectly in on the joke.

I always like Kolibri, but sadly I suck at it and was never able to beat it. My main issue with the game is that because the levels are so open, I could never quite figure out where I was supposed to go next or what the level goal was? I have read the manual, but still cryptic to me. Tempo is another I enjoy playing but sadly am just not very good at and it suffers the same issue in that the levels aren't very clear on where you can or can't go.

I picked up my 32x in the early 2000s just for V.R. Racing, T-Mek, and the port of Blackthorn that it received.

I played Kolibri for about 20 minutes then realized,

Hey... this isn't an Ecco clone... this is a shooter!

I was really expecting an Ecco clone, just playing as a bird in a world gone mad.

I do like shooters, but the game not being what I expected; I have just never been able to dig into it... and I don't like any 'shot' power-ups I find!

I was really expecting an Ecco clone, just playing as a bird in a world gone mad.

Kolibri is more like a hybrid of a shooter with the Ecco formula. Some stages are literally just shooting, but get a few levels in and you start running into puzzle aspects similar to some stuff you find in Ecco. Interesting game. I spent some time with it at the end of last year and need to go back and try to finish it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sega 32X has been my latest obsession for about the past year. I originally got my Genesis for Christmas from my (then girlfriend) wife in 1991 and got the 32x from Warehouse Records on Boxing Day in 1995 for $40. I had about 10 games I got super cheap from KayBee Toy Store a few days after as they were clearancing them out. I think I may have spent about $20 on 6 games. At one point I, sadly, got rid of all my games at a garage sale but thankfully kept the console all these years. I started my collection anew but have spent a bit more than $20. I still need to get T-Mek as it was one of my favorites but has proved difficult to find at a decent price.

There are a lot of 32x PDF manuals floating around online but was wondering if anyone does actual reprints of the manuals that look very similar to the original? I need a Primal Rage manual but the ones I find online are scanned in page number order and not printed sheet order. I can edit them myself but thought I'd ask first. :)

post-47537-0-59152500-1503522959_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

32X collectors -- anyone trying to chase down a Neptune? Or commission one from someone like Ben Heckendorn? Ever since that nasty EGM April Fool's -- and every time I see a picture like malarrya's dusty mushroom-top above, I want one. With HDMI, wireless controls, and game rewind, of course.

This person made a nice replica. http://www.porlzilla.com/p/sega-neptune.html

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

• Like 2

32X collectors -- anyone trying to chase down a Neptune? Or commission one from someone like Ben Heckendorn? Ever since that nasty EGM April Fool's -- and every time I see a picture like malarrya's dusty mushroom-top above, I want one. With HDMI, wireless controls, and game rewind, of course.

Nah, it's nice to have new technology replace the old dusty mushroom but I'll stick with the original hardware. It's more for nostalgic reasons. If I wanted to play Genesis or 32X games in HD through an HDMI cable I can simply use my Hyperspin or LaunchBox PCs (with an XBOX One controller) or use CoinOps on my modded original XBOX. They do look more brilliant than the Genesis but I like the old tech too.

Edited by malarrya

I love my Sega CD. There's quite a few consoles I'd give up before I'd give up on that one. I bought a model 1 in the spring of 93 and never regretted it. I sold my high school class ring to help afford it. I traded something that did nothing but remind me of 4 unpleasant years among nitwits for something that has given me joy ever since. Pretty good trade I think.

Dark Wizard, Shining Force CD, and Silpheed are my favorite games for it.

I've always thought it was great, from the moment I first hooked it up and played Time Gal as my first game on it.

I bought the 32X at launch. There are certainly games I like on the system. For me, Metal Head, Shadow Squadron, Virtua Racing Deluxe, and Space Harrier are definitely the top highlights. However, I eventually had to admit the 32X was not anywhere near as good a purchase as I wanted it to be.

I like the 32X, but it has been quite some time since I last played it. However, I do tend to keep it hooked up, just in case, which I don't do for some other consoles.
  • Like 2

Lets not forget the ever wonderful fact the 32X makes it easier to play Mega Drive games. I found that to be one of the useful design items with the unit. No more tower with the game genie but a new tower that needs power and cords but you never have to worry about it getting bumped as much.

This person made a nice replica. http://www.porlzilla.com/p/sega-neptune.html

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHzlmP_8LX8

I fell for that EGM joke back in the day. That was like a lifetime ago

Does anyone make Sega 32X game manual recreations?

I've seen a few PDFs available online but none of them are really good enough for recreating a manual that looks similar to the original. I suppose the staples would need to be removed from the manual so each FULL gate-fold page can then be scanned as is was originally printed. In other words, the outer cover first/last, page 1/last page, page 2/2nd to last etc. The manuals can then be printed (two-sided) and stapled to appear like the original.

I'm not looking to resell anything but I ask since I have bought ColecoVision recreations on this site before that were awesome.

Even if someone can just scan in their manuals in the manner I spoke of would be awesome.

Thanks!

Edited by malarrya

The one I remember is they were offering them for sale. I think there was a link in the article and when you went to it it said the whole thing was a prank.

Yeah, I recall some prank where some source or other said a warehouse of Neptunes had been discovered, and they were selling them for $250 each.

Edit: And DERP... that's basically what the linked article says. I'm just better off not posting.

Edited by Gabriel