IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Yeah, it's currently an off-the-shelf dev board for an already obsolescent chip, that's about five times too large to fit into the case that they previously showed us, not that it would have worked anyway since there's no ventilation and the ports are all in the wrong places to fit onto a motherboard without some very oddball risers.

I won't deny all possibility of them delivering something that works eventually but, as PCs go, it seems certain to be a rather underwhelming one. They're going to have to turn in a sterling effort on the system software front - of which we've yet to see anything more than rigged demos - to make anything of it.

• Like 2

So, um, this is a thing:

mWwJGZxh.png

Looks like Intellivision has decided to share what they've been working on. It's planned to be released on 10/10/2020 with a price ranging from $149 to $179, with games on the virtual shop ranging from $2 to $8. It sounds like the games will be modern interpretations, and all the games will be rated E for everyone, following the company's decision to be a family-oriented device. I'm not sure exactly what to think of this.

They're not starting a fundraising campaign, they're not making a new cryptocurrency, and they're not just literally putting a $10 game from Steam onto a $330 device. So, could this work?

What's funny is that there are going to be Atari titles on the console as well. And twenty brand-new titles from Intellivision.

Could this bring some competition to the "Atari VCS"? Will the "VCS" ever hit the market?

Also, a link to an article:

Edited by CommanderGrimm

And just a thought: The Atari VCS is announced, then Intellivision plans a console to grab a portion of the market, and plans a release a few years later. I'm talking about 1979 and 2020. I've heard people say that history repeats itself and I didn't believe them until now. Will Colecovision try a comeback as well? Will there be a second "gaming crash"?

Maybe I'm just seeing shadows on a cave wall, but with the flood of retro consoles and mini consoles being releases, will the market become oversaturated? Will companies put more priority on these "Classic Editions" in hopes of making bank on old games, but fall due to a loss in public interest? Or will these "Lazarus" systems, rejuvenated consoles with expandable libraries and higher price points, actually become popular?

I guess time will tell.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

Those companies are long dead. Atari is dead. Coleco is dead. These are just brand management shills. No different than cheap Chinese knock off stuff. I dunno if Intellivision still counts as the same company, but it's not history repeating. It's all just hipster history revision. All poser, no substance.

• Like 3

So, um, this is a thing:

Looks like Intellivision has decided to share what they've been working on. It's planned to be released on 10/10/2020 with a price ranging from $149 to $179, with games on the virtual shop ranging from $2 to $8. It sounds like the games will be modern interpretations, and all the games will be rated E for everyone, following the company's decision to be a family-oriented device. I'm not sure exactly what to think of this.

They're not starting a fundraising campaign, they're not making a new cryptocurrency, and they're not just literally putting a $10 game from Steam onto a $330 device. So, could this work?

What's funny is that there are going to be Atari titles on the console as well. And twenty brand-new titles from Intellivision.

Could this bring some competition to the "Atari VCS"? Will the "VCS" ever hit the market?

Also, a link to an article:

Claims to be a 2d powerhouse and will be better at 2d games then Playstation and Xbox, yet games will only cost $2-8. Are they targeting kids with all games being E10+ and E? But the Intellivision came out in 1979 and anyone that remembers it and has any positive nostalgia for it will be, at a minimum, in their 40s. There aren't any kids that will know what an Intellivision is, or much less be a big enough fan of it that they'll go giddy at a new console using the name.. All games exclusive to the system? Who will develop games exclusively for it? Theres some positives to being a big fish in a small pond, but an install base of a couple ten thousand (Heck, even a couple hundred thousand consoles) is way, way, WAY, WAY too small that any semi-competent dev won't even bother and waste their time to develop something worthwhile (exclusive, or a multi-plat game) for an install base that small. (Whis has already been discussed very, very in depth throughout this whole thread many times)

And yeah, the thing resembles a foot massager. Or a bathroom scale. Or something that you'd see in a hospital and/or clinic.

post-42460-0-69273700-1540257699_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

I'll give Intellivision credit for not resorting to e-begging for pre-orders in order to fund its development. Well, at least they haven't done so yet.

I can't think of much else going for it though, and in particular I'd think that the controllers were the last thing worth revisiting from the original.

• Like 3

I truly respect the effort Intellivision is putting forth here, relative to Atari. At the end of the day, though, I just don't see myself being drawn to a platform that isn't substantially different from what's already out there.

• Like 3

I've tried to cook beef to make tacos either by frying it on the stove, or baking it in the oven. I wonder what you guys do with beef if you make your own tacos?

Anyway, here's a few more comments from that shill/needs grammar lessons/high on the wombat juice person:

post-18158-0-43453400-1540370820_thumb.jpg

post-18158-0-27045900-1540371175.jpg

I looked up what he meant by "quese" and either he's taking about a "queue", or in German, "quese" means "feminine".

• Like 2

I've tried to cook beef to make tacos either by frying it on the stove, or baking it in the oven. I wonder what you guys do with beef if you make your own tacos?

Anyway, here's a few more comments from that shill/needs grammar lessons/high on the wombat juice person:

attachicon.gifjohntheshill1979.jpg

attachicon.gifjohntheshill1979_part_two.jpg

I looked up what he meant by "quese" and either he's taking about a "queue", or in German, "quese" means "feminine".

Or maybe it's a typo of "Virgin mega store hmv every shop had these out the door ..." Mostly, I think it's "queues".

Or perhaps Virgin Mega Store hired hot women to lure customers in the shop to buy video games for Christmas.

"Came here for the girls, ended up with a copy of E.T. I feel disappointed."

In that case, it might work for Atari once again. Put aside some of those millions to hire attractive models - could be female, male or non-binary - to market the VCS. That is unless the Intellivision Amico, the CollectorVision Phoenix, the Opcode Omni or just about any other of those consoles about to enter the market, will beat Atari on that marketing trick.

• Like 3

Or perhaps Virgin Mega Store hired hot women to lure customers in the shop to buy video games for Christmas.

"Came here for the girls, ended up with a copy of E.T. I feel disappointed."

In that case, it might work for Atari once again. Put aside some of those millions to hire attractive models - could be female, male or non-binary - to market the VCS. That is unless the Intellivision Amico, the CollectorVision Phoenix, the Opcode Omni or just about any other of those consoles about to enter the market, will beat Atari on that marketing trick.

Considering that the Intellivision Amico is making so much fuzz about family friendly, I think the closest thing to a booth bunny model you'll get for it will be this:

june-cleaver.jpg

• Like 6

He also apparently has a youtube channel o w o

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY2Vz27esFXoLdIF5Dy1sVQ

Europe had Virgin Megastores in 82'?