IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

So we're five days out before the reveal deadline. We should start a betting pool to see who thinks this is really going to happen or not. The problem is that I don't see anyone placing a bet in favor of Atari SA.

I'll bet that 'something' happens, including nothing.

• Like 1

So we're five days out before the reveal deadline. We should start a betting pool to see who thinks this is really going to happen or not. The problem is that I don't see anyone placing a bet in favor of Atari SA.

The thing is, all they've said is that they'll announce a pre-order date. How hard is that?

They can announce a "holiday 2018" date, and Max Ivi can claim victory while Atari strings him along for another seven months.

• Like 6

why are you on an Atari forum if you do not believe it, what are you doing here like a lot?

Usually I just stay in the background here except to interject the occasional bit of snark, but you know what? I'll bite. I see this attitude on the various "Atari" Facebook pages, too.

CAUTION: LONG, DOUCHEY, SELF-AGGRANDIZING POST AHEAD

I've been on this forum for over 13 years because I like gaming in general and Atari in particular. So much so, that I've forged friendships with many of its original employees and have had the good fortune to indulge in relatively high budget collecting in celebration of the early days of video gaming that I was lucky enough to be part of. I've had the honor of talking about Atari's early years with the likes of Owen Rubin, Howard Scott Warshaw, Dan Kramer, Marty Goldberg and Curt Vendel.

Steve Ritchie

post-6333-0-72722000-1524693551_thumb.jpg

Al Alcorn

post-6333-0-84406500-1524693651_thumb.jpg

Joe Decuir (and Ben Heckendorn)

post-6333-0-67566400-1524693688_thumb.jpg

Bezerk record holder Joel West, Nibbler Record holder Tim McVey, Walter Day

post-6333-0-20923400-1524693776_thumb.jpg

Richie Knucklez and He Who Shall Not Be Named :)

post-6333-0-76562000-1524693830_thumb.jpg

Doc Mack of Galloping Ghost, Qbert designer Jeff Lee

post-6333-0-25669000-1524693883_thumb.jpg

Eugene Jarvis

post-6333-0-38829300-1524693977_thumb.jpg

I've helped stage Jagfest at the Midwest Gaming Classic for several years, putting rarities on display that many wouldn't have the chance to play otherwise.

post-6333-0-87517600-1524693949_thumb.jpg

Over half of my 30 arcade machines are from Atari.

post-6333-0-00496100-1524694070_thumb.jpg

post-6333-0-88085300-1524694083_thumb.jpg

My childhood heavy sixer still sees regular use.

post-6333-0-37345700-1524694130_thumb.jpg

Recognize this building?

post-6333-0-58512700-1524694741_thumb.jpg

Speaks for itself...

post-6333-0-77908100-1524698539_thumb.jpg

That, Max Who Signed Up In December But Has Only Posted In Ataribox and Gameband Threads, is what I'm doing here. I have other hobbies, but this is what I do. Maybe you just want to support a French company, and I can understand that. For those of us that have been closely tied to this kind of scene for a while though...not only do I expect this piece of crap to fail miserably, I want the whole current ridiculous company and its entire sleazy rogue's gallery to go away. They may own the name, but they're not Atari. They're a joke, what they're doing with the brand is a joke, and the damage they're doing to the reputation of the real company disgusts me.

• Like 28

Usually I just stay in the background here except to interject the occasional bit of snark, but you know what? I'll bite. I see this attitude on the various "Atari" Facebook pages, too.

I've been on this forum for over 13 years because I like gaming in general and Atari in particular. So much so, that I've forged friendships with many of its original employees and have had the good fortune to indulge in relatively high budget collecting in celebration of the early days of video gaming that I was lucky enough to be part of. I've had the honor of talking about Atari's early years with the likes of Owen Rubin, Howard Scott Warshaw, Dan Kramer, Marty Goldberg and Curt Vendel.

Steve Ritchie

attachicon.gif20170408_194148.jpg

Al Alcorn

attachicon.gif20170729_165302.jpg

Joe Decuir (and Ben Heckendorn)

attachicon.gif20160410_130643.jpg

Bezerk record holder Joel West, Nibbler Record holder Tim McVey, Walter Day

attachicon.gifDSC_0203.JPG

Richie Knucklez and He Who Shall Not Be Named icon_smile.gif

attachicon.gif20180413_190018.jpg

Doc Mack of Galloping Ghost, Qbert designer Jeff Lee

attachicon.gif11039878_1.jpg

Eugene Jarvis

attachicon.gif20180414_172114.jpg

I've helped stage Jagfest at the Midwest Gaming Classic for several years, putting rarities on display that many wouldn't have the chance to play otherwise.

attachicon.gif20180414_114205.jpg

Over half of my 30 arcade machines are from Atari.

attachicon.gif20170819_203142.jpg

attachicon.gif20180411_165424.jpg

My childhood heavy sixer still sees regular use.

attachicon.gif20160514_165111.jpg

Recognize this building?

attachicon.gif20160714_151353.jpg

Speaks for itself...

attachicon.gif20180425_182000.jpg

That, Max Who Signed Up In December But Has Only Posted In Ataribox and Gameband Threads, is what I'm doing here. I have other hobbies, but this is what I do. Maybe you just want to support a French company, and I can understand that. For those of us that have been closely tied to this kind of scene for a while though...not only do I expect this piece of crap to fail miserably, I want the whole current ridiculous company and its entire sleazy rogue's gallery to go away. They may own the name, but they're not Atari. They're a joke, what they're doing with the brand is a joke, and the damage they're doing to the reputation of the real company disgusts me.

This, right here, is what absolutely none of the AtariVCSbox shills will ever get, understand, or comprehend.

They want to create and market an Atari Lifestyle. And they're trying to do it to people who aren't lifestylers - they're just people who have done this for their entire lives.

When you've done this for your entire life, it's not a lifestyle; it's just what you do. And it gives you good eyes, ears, and noses for bullshit.

More tacos, less bullshit, s'il vous plaît, AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 11

Damn, and you even got to meet me at the Midwest Gaming Classic! I didn't even deserve a mention? :D

• Like 2

This, right here, is what absolutely none of the AtariVCSbox shills will ever get, understand, or comprehend.

They want to create and market an Atari Lifestyle. And they're trying to do it to people who aren't lifestylers - they're just people who have done this for their entire lives.

When you've done this for your entire life, it's not a lifestyle; it's just what you do. And it gives you good eyes, ears, and noses for bullshit.

More tacos, less bullshit, s'il vous plaît, AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc.

I like this sentiment, it sums up much of what is disadvantageous with the overall commercialization of various hobbyist and "micro" cultures. I've seen this trend in many forms, from my local punk music scene to real estate. Humans are herd-loving animals by nature, everyone wants to be part of a group. The current trend in marketing seems to be in the branding of whatever counterculture you happen to be a part of, and then flood that particular market to saturation. It is definitely something that is happening in the "retro gaming" scene nowadays. That is why a GameStop today looks more like Spencer's Gifts, or Hot Topic than a game store. Although I may not have as much memorabilia as racerx, I do have much in common with him. I have been a "reader" of AA forums for many years, and am not a big poster. I own a modest collection of about a dozen or more Atari systems, and several boxes full of games. Atari is just something that has always been with me, I didn't "become" a fan. It was my first gaming experience, and has never left my side. I would love to see the company reemerge and produce a console again, but a glorified Android TV box (Invidia Shield/ Ouya) doesn't quite fit my notion of such. Although, if it does get done by some miracle, and is not completely offensive to my senses, I will probably end up buying one. Atari to me as a competitive hardware producer is long since dead. As far as what it vaporware and what has potential, I simply don't feel I personally have been given enough information yet. Maybe that is intentionally by design at Atari. Anyone who's lived through gaming history has seen stranger things happen. I would like to hear some more definitive news. At this point, It's not something I would invest my money in. Throw Tempest 4000 on there, (maybe resurrect Solaris from it's crypt), and them maybe; otherwise, I'm still holding out for a Switch release.

• Like 2

Nice family! Your children must be absolutely thrilled to one day inherit your great Atari collection! (even if it would not include the upcoming Atari VCS)

Actually, that's another challenge facing the new VCS. Maybe it's because they've grown up with it, but they don't have much interest in any of my old stuff, and "Atari" holds no meaning to them other than being that old company that Dad likes. They're too busy playing Fortnite, or Overwatch, or Splatoon. I guarantee none of them are going to be asking for a VCS for Christmas.

It just again raises the point of "who is this for, exactly?"

• Like 11

...and easily manipulated hipsters with no critical thinking skills. That's a big market in the U.S. today. Just the opportunity to give money for a product like this reminds them that they are special and unique, just like everybody else. The more haters they see, the more unique and precious they feel. Delicate little snowflakes.

• Like 8

Actually, that's another challenge facing the new VCS. Maybe it's because they've grown up with it, but they don't have much interest in any of my old stuff, and "Atari" holds no meaning to them other than being that old company that Dad likes. They're too busy playing Fortnite, or Overwatch, or Splatoon. I guarantee none of them are going to be asking for a VCS for Christmas.

It just again raises the point of "who is this for, exactly?"

hmm I understand you, but Atari is not the only company to have changed hands and sometimes several times ... the current CEO is doing his utmost to revive Atari and this new platform will be the return of the phoenix

then yes we can see that you are a true fan of Atari and I think your surprise this Christmas will be an Atari VCS 2018

The thing is, all they've said is that they'll announce a pre-order date. How hard is that?

They can announce a "holiday 2018" date, and Max Ivi can claim victory while Atari strings him along for another seven months.

I lose my bet if the pre-order does not start before April 30, 2018

Atari said Campaign indiegogo before Monday, April 30, so I trust and I look forward to knowing what this platform has in the stomach ...

I have the feeling that the VR will be on this platform, to follow

ps : Me too will show you my Atari tatoo if she is reborn because I do not want to be ashamed lol lol lol

I lose my bet if the pre-order does not start before April 30, 2018

Atari said Campaign indiegogo before Monday, April 30, so I trust and I look forward to knowing what this platform has in the stomach ...

I have the feeling that the VR will be on this platform, to follow

ps : Me too will show you my Atari tatoo if she is reborn because I do not want to be ashamed lol lol lol

I bookmarked this page of this thread to see if you'll end up being right or not.

• Like 3