IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

So David Historian, it's great to see you back here and I hope people show you respect. If anything people here like to bash others (they bash me too).

No Biff, people rib The Historian because he was\is a shill for Fergaltari Gamebandcraft. They laugh at you cause you're a tool. HUGE difference.

• Like 6

It's occurred to me they might be foolish enough to think "we're gonna be at E3!" was all they needed to say.

I wonder who they think they're fooling? Is someone just going through the motions to run out the clock/budget on this "product" for tax or debt purposes? Like "The Producers?"

• Like 3

I wonder who they think they're fooling? Is someone just going through the motions to run out the clock/budget on this "product" for tax or debt purposes? Like "The Producers?"

I hate to say it, but after GDC, that's suddenly become the most sensible explanation.

• Like 4

Speaking of only having a few days to go, there are still 12 days left to get the Retro Wonders bundle from Storybundle. I don't have a stake in this project, I just like what Simon Carless has done here, and buy these whenever they're available.

Included is "21 Unexpected Games to Love for the Atari VCS" by John Harris, who is probably a member on here. He posted some excerpts on Gamasutra, here and here. I think it's an insightful read, nicely done and worth your attention.

Relevant to this topic, Harris takes a few sassy digs at modern "Atari," which I enjoyed. The shambling corpse wearing the skin of Atari wouldn't like this.

First, a history of the brand name, culminating in

post-2410-0-30805100-1524328768.png

and at the end of the timeline section, split across a page break:

post-2410-0-80478700-1524328809.png

:music: :D :lol: :lol: :lolblue: |:) :D :P :P :P :P :evil: :dunce: :grin:

• Like 5

You are dead wrong. As much as this forum lies to anticipate the Atari VCS failing, you are continually keeping it alive and well. As you guys keep posting... even if it is taco nonsense... this thread will hold SEO rank and keep the buzz going. Even the negativity will embolden the fanboys to try harder.

I don't visit here much but this thread still pops-up In my feeds.

I am posting this solely to increase AtariVCSboxCorp's SEO rankings.

Mark my words: when the glorious day comes that the AtariVCSbox takes the worldwide gaming market by storm and annihilates all other consoles in the marketplace, this very post will come to be recognised as the one that propelled public awareness and market acceptance of the AtariVCSbox into the exosphere and beyond.

Also, my AtariVCSboxCorp stocks shall be worth more than all other stocks combined, and I will have a giant party all the time. With hookers. And blackjack. And it'll be on Jupiter!

• Like 8

I am posting this solely to increase AtariVCSboxCorp's SEO rankings.

Mark my words: when the glorious day comes that the AtariVCSbox takes the worldwide gaming market by storm and annihilates all other consoles in the marketplace, this very post will come to be recognised as the one that propelled public awareness and market acceptance of the AtariVCSbox into the exosphere and beyond.

Also, my AtariVCSboxCorp stocks shall be worth more than all other stocks combined, and I will have a giant party all the time. With hookers. And blackjack. And it'll be on Jupiter!

I am posting this solely because tacos.

Mark my words: tacos.

Also, tacos.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 7

No Biff, people rib The Historian because he was\is a shill for Fergaltari Gamebandcraft. They laugh at you cause you're a tool. HUGE difference.

And do tell us, what exactly do you do other than live with social media disease (that's personal attacks)? So do you program? What games have you released? Do you run a video game company? Something? Anything? I don't know you as I normally don't respond to someone who watches video game nerd videos, but please enlighten us. Or are you just going to keep on bashing others because you have never done anything worthwhile in your life? Maybe you put others down because your life has been a failure??? (OK, now hit back. I can take it)

After looking up the definition of "Tool" in the Urban Dictionary I am almost offended (almost because I have never been offended ever in my life). I AM THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tool: (noun)

Someone whose ego FAR exceeds his talent, intelligence, and likeability. But, of course, he is clueless regarding that fact. He erroneously thinks he is THE MAN!

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

And do tell us, what exactly do you do other than live with social media disease (that's personal attacks)? So do you program? What games have you released? Do you run a video game company? Something? Anything? I don't know you as I normally don't respond to someone who watches video game nerd videos, but please enlighten us. Or are you just going to keep on bashing others because you have never done anything worthwhile in your life? Maybe you put others down because your life has been a failure??? (OK, now hit back. I can take it)

After looking up the definition of "Tool" in the Urban Dictionary I am almost offended (almost because I have never been offended ever in my life). I AM THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tool: (noun)

Someone whose ego FAR exceeds his talent, intelligence, and likeability. But, of course, he is clueless regarding that fact. He erroneously thinks he is THE MAN!

Tacos.

• Like 5

Today in "taking the piss" at the enfeebled brand custodians known as Atari, some more British tabloid nonsense:

PS5 release date in 2018 unlikely, but new PS4, Xbox and Nintendo Switch rival is coming

THE PS5 release date looks very unlikely to be announced in 2018, but it appears a new PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch rival will be challenging for space.

Is this something people want? I barely have time for my PS4. If there's yet another one, this will finally be the generation I will sit out and do something else. But let's read some more about that new challenger. Is Valve back in the game? Maybe something from HTC or Samsung? Or Nvidia's throwing in a Shield followup?

But while it’s still unlikely for anything like that to happen, there is another new console announced for 2018 that will look to rival the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.

That would be the new Atari VCS, which will have new pre-order details confirmed later this month.

While the company have been forced to dial back on their initial launch plans for their new console, it appears that it will still be entering the market.

Oh shut the door. It's Atari® who has obviously earned the right to be mentioned in the same sentence as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo! It's like those anthologies about background characters at the Star Wars Cantina. Or the lost biblical Book of Jeff that details the life cycle of a flea in Goliath's hair.

Originally announced as the Ataribox, this new console will not be a classic games console revamp, although retro titles will be made available on it.

A lot of details are still unknown about the Atari, although it appears it will look to provide a lot of services that a PC does.

The difference will be that while it can stream music, run a Linux sandbox mode, and let you browse the internet, you will also be able to hook it up to your TV with ease.

Thank heavens! I've always needed a box that can hook up to my TV with ease. For the love of Jeff, those HDMI cables are truly baffling. I never can remember if I should insert the one-way slider connector, or try to jam the cable in sideways. Maybe Atari can help me with this, I could use "a lot of services" from a PC-like device.

Whatever happens with the PS5 release date, it seems likely that at least one new piece of hardware will be arriving to rival the likes of the Switch, PS4 and Xbox One in 2019.

"Seems likely?" Pro tip: do not rely upon Gary Jones from Express.co.uk for consumer or financial advice. Dude sure seems to love his Fortnite, though.

• Like 7

Well, that demonstrates one thing; the name still carries weight. If someone hasn't been paying attention for the past 30 years they could think Atari is still the same company, with an arcade division & everything. :/

I like the idea of a new Atari console; this just sounds like a complete disaster.

Oh I'm sure it could get worse.

-They could've got people to invest based on the name & render alone.

-Their prototype could've set the hotel room on fire.

-They could charge folks to become developers, before they have a working development system, or specs for a development system.

But, so far, yeah. It's pretty bad; worse than Sam Tramiel trying to tell magazines about the Jaguar.

• Like 3

That would be the new Atari VCS, which will have new pre-order details confirmed later this month.

So, who wants to bet they won't end up annoucing the pre-order date before April is over?

• Like 1

This weekend I took a trip out to where they parked the old Chameleon bus, I had a look underneath and didn't see any Ataribox team members, so there is that. Of all the goofs and gaffs so far in the Ataribox adventure the one that stands out the most to me is the name change, calling it the VCS (at least it wasn't the VGS) was a pretty silly move. Those who remember the VCS name, not just the Atari name but VCS, won't think highly of them calling the Ataribox the VCS and those that won't be annoyed by that won't be inspired to buy it because it has VCS in the name. It is a really bizarre naming choice because they think it is a big plus when it was a total negative.

At this point even if they get a product released somehow, I will just be waiting for a broken one to turn up so I can use the case.

• Like 8

FUN FACT: Do you know what the VCS in "Atari VCS" stands for?

• The 1977 video game console's initials stand for "Video Computer System," three words that conveyed hot technical power back in the days of ABBA and the Bee Gees.
  • The post-Infogrames VCS is actually an abbreviation for Vichyssoise, a creamy potato and leek soup, often served cold. Like the company Atari SA, it's unclear whether it comes from France or the United States.

Anyway, here's more news from the "What Fresh Hell Is This?" Department, via "HotHardware." Shane McGlaun inexpertly attempts to serve as a Vichy (puppet regime) to Atari, dutifully regurgitating some of the less interesting details from the Eurogamer embargo ...

Fresh Atari VCS Retro Console Details Revealed In Latest Atari Interview

Arzt says that Atari is targeting two groups, with one being the folks over 35-years-old who remember playing the console and playing Atari games in the arcade. The other group is the younger crowd that Arzt says see Atari as more of a cool old brand and want modern capabilities like Streaming video services such as Hulu and Netflix. Arzt says that the Atari VCS is less expensive than a PC and eliminates the need to connect a laptop to the TV. The VCS will support a wireless or USB mouse and keyboard and supports Bluetooth.

Because, as we know, devices that can stream video like Netflix and Hulu are for the kids, those tech-savvy-at-risk-youth who need one of these devices. You know you're getting a quality product if it can support a keyboard and mouse. Pay no attention to that $40 game-playing Roku or Fire stick, they don't have the rich brand history of Atari, which has always been a French product.

But seriously, Shane McGlaun, have you no shame?

When Atari first announced the Ataribox last summer, gamers that are into all things retro were rightfully excited. The forthcoming console even looked like the Atari that gamers of the '80s grew up with. Not long after, likely many folks got a bit worried when pre-orders were delayed in December, with some fearing the entire project could be nothing more than vaporware.

Seriously?

I think the first commenter nailed it:

post-2410-0-53467300-1524491850.png

I know s/he meant it as "where's the beef, there's no software discussed, what will this run?" in the sense of "information made available by a website or other electronic medium."

But I choose to see it as "are you happy?" in the sense of "in a state of peaceful happiness."

ATARI,

YOU'VE RUINED

MY CHILDHOOD,

SO I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY NOW

giphy.gif

• Like 5