IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

1: Presell is not crowdfunding.

2: Starting at $199, other packages will include controllers??

3: Presell is not crowdfunding.

4: Sometime around about somewhere nearish spring 2019

5: Presale is not crowdfunding

6: If you repeat yourself enough, it means it's true.

7: Presale is not crowdfunding.

• Like 9

Still no specs. I wonder if they'll pull a Kennedy and try to start the Indiegogo with the only details being "powerful".

Also, anyone want to lay odds they'll use "flex funding" so they can keep the money even if they don't meet their goal?

• Like 3

An hour later, the only places this press release can be found are the investor's site and atari.com. They haven't said a single word on any other site. That they didn't at least co-ordinate indicates to me that they don't care about Atari fans--just getting the news out to the same tech/gaming news outlets that always print Atari news.

Of course, that's my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 3

The Spring 2019 target is brutal, and, since it's a soft goal and we know how these things go, that means there's a very good chance it could slip further. I would NOT want to have a new console/STB type device competing against strong selling consoles from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo 4 - 5+ years in. It goes without saying that even in their oldest base configurations, those consoles will be cheaper and perform on par or better than what's going to be in the VCS. In terms of value proposition over the competition, the VCS can offer Linux/some light computing activities maybe? A more open ecosystem? Does anyone really care about that? Perhaps the best thing that might come out of the VCS is a cool new niche controller, so hopefully that can work with other systems (at least a PC).

• Like 12

Still no specs. I wonder if they'll pull a Kennedy and try to start the Indiegogo with the only details being "powerful".

Also, anyone want to lay odds they'll use "flex funding" so they can keep the money even if they don't meet their goal?

All I know is that they are asking their 'customers" to wait another month. That press release was literally the least they could do -- no news came out of it other than the preorder date. Here's the Indiegogo page:

post-2410-0-08968400-1525114792.png

An hour later, the only places this press release can be found are the investor's site and atari.com. They haven't said a single word on any other site. That they didn't at least co-ordinate indicates to me that they don't care about Atari fans--just getting the news out to the same tech/gaming news outlets that always print Atari news.

Of course, that's my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

It's amazing, isn't it? Unless the "fans" aren't the real customers. They bothered to update their webpage, but only just enough to add this:

post-2410-0-13006600-1525114836.png

Maybe it's for the benefit of their angel investor who is injecting all that extra money? Because it doesn't seem to be coming from the marketplace.

post-2410-0-91897800-1525114940.png

• Like 3

Pre-order my automatic robotic taco shell press and cooker for only $29.95. Add the meat-bin and ingredient dispenser for only another $37.50, and you can press a button and wait for delicious tacos to slide down and land into the food basket.

I haven't done any design work, but I also just conceptualized it as I typed that first sentence. Ready for release in 2019.

• Like 6

Again, it's a shame there isn't a place on atariage to actually communicate with people who are interested in this item, but I'm in. Yeah, it's not value, not needed, etc. Still seems cool to me, and I look forward to playing around with it.

Out of interest, what about it seems cool? They've no specs, no real idea of what their audience is, no developers... no concrete anything except a semi announcement of the same old Vault games. Is it just because it's a cool looking case that says Atari? No judgement here; it's your money, and if that's enough to make you say "cool," then more power to you.

• Like 9

How does Atari mess up a simple press release??????

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! You do it in the morning before 8am eastern. Then as the day goes on, the news outlets can pick up on it and report on it. Newscasts are at 12noon, 5pm, 6pm, 10pm, 11pm. That's not enough time. TV stations send out reporters in the morning and by 2pm they are being edited. Some places still have 2 newspapers a day as well. Then there are internet sites. People need time to make videos and post them on youtube. That way, when people get off of work/school the info is there. It's not a rocket science people.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

Again, it's a shame there isn't a place on atariage to actually communicate with people who are interested in this item, but I'm in. Yeah, it's not value, not needed, etc. Still seems cool to me, and I look forward to playing around with it.

post-2410-0-89901900-1525115189_thumb.png

Out of interest, what about it seems cool? They've no specs, no real idea of what their audience is, no developers... no concrete anything except a semi announcement of the same old Vault games. Is it just because it's a cool looking case that says Atari? No judgement here; it's your money, and if that's enough to make you say "cool," then more power to you.

Haven't you heard the news? It looks super awesome, can't wait to play! #ataribox #retrorevival #zombiebots

post-2410-0-97880100-1525115488_thumb.png

• Like 8

I like how it looks, and am hoping that it makes for a good way to livestream retro gaming from my couch. Additionally, I am hopeful it integrates modern TV, like YouTube, Netflix, Pluto, Tubi, etc. I like the one-button controller for retro gaming through HDMI. Overall, I collect cool Atari stuff, and consider this something worth - my - money.

That said, people aren't really allowed to like this thing here, so I'll go back into the quiet corner and let the haters bash on for another year.

• Like 1

I like how it looks, and am hoping that it makes for a good way to livestream retro gaming from my couch. Additionally, I am hopeful it integrates modern TV, like YouTube, Netflix, Pluto, Tubi, etc. I like the one-button controller for retro gaming through HDMI. Overall, I collect cool Atari stuff, and consider this something worth - my - money.

That said, people aren't really allowed to like this thing here, so I'll go back into the quiet corner and let the haters bash on for another year.

Or ... you could buy a computer that does all that right now, without waiting for "Atari" and hoping they ship on time. Far be it from me to stomp on you for being "hopeful." You have that in common with the box-man from "Atari."

Your image is from Twitter, not AtariAge. But you knew that, so chose to ignore my actual statement.

Jerry, when you said

I look forward to playing around with it.

it reminded me of something. Because you chose the same words. If you want "positivity," go visit The Historian's Subreddit for this. See you in 2019!

P.S. Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows?

They're making head lines!

post-2410-0-08290500-1525116130_thumb.png

• Like 2

Thanks for answering. If it isn't the solution you're looking for re: streaming and TV, will you still be into it?

All I can say is why it's interesting to me.

If they can deliver what they promised-- a Linux-based console that's open (and customizable) for $200, that would be awesome.

Yes I know the Pi exists, I have two of them. But they are ultimately weak systems, they have QOL issues as consoles due to cost-cutting things such as no on/off switch. Not Intel-based so they couldn't run the Linux games off Steam, for instance. A Pi could never run Windows games under Wine either.

So I'm just waiting patiently to see if they deliver. I won't preorder, but will buy it if they deliver what was promised.

In the meantime I'll just try to stay out of the constant drama in this thread.

• Like 1

This means access to a vast array of games, media and streaming content options. As an homage to the past, Atari VCS covers the classics with the included Atari Vault of more than 100 classic games, including all-time arcade and home entertainment favorites like Asteroids®, Centipede®, Breakout®, Missile Command®, Gravitar® and Yars' Revenge®; a growing list of games, especially a full range of popular modern titles, will be announced at later dates.

Name one game it plays now. And show it.

No?

Tacos.

But to be fair, Atari kept their word and announced a date. That's all they had to do today, and they actually did it.

Bet they're feeling pretty good about that. Way to go Atari! You did a thing!

Now they have a month to put together their pre-sales crowdfunding page, with more empty consoles and fake renders.

Maybe we'll even get to see another fake video! They've got a whole month to slap one together. Go Atari - you can do it!

post-2641-0-72184500-1525116716.jpg

Nice manicure there, Fred!

• Like 8