IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

We should really start a pool on here and pick the date when the following things happen

They announce the first delay

They announce a game only to be rebuffed by the developer (I mean, have that happen again)

They announce the second delay

They blame their sweatshop...I mean...Chinese manufacturer on the delay

They announce the cancellation and say "well sometimes that happens with crowdfunding, thanks for the money though!"

There's enough gambling on this crowdfunding thing already ... but I will enjoy watching other people rant and rave when we see things like ...

"we are delaying shipment of the first prototype to make it EVEN BETTER"

"more announcements about games and the project's progress are still to come"

"the VCS team has TONS of business meetings with 3rd party content partners to start, continue, and complete deals."

"remember, all the noisy youtube videos and click-bait headlines are not credible places to get your Atari VCS info"

"this is only the beginning"

I don't need a crystal ball (or borrow anyone else's) to predict this, because they've already said all this.

• Like 6

On their investor's site, Atari finally put out a press release about e3. Here's the translated version.

Atari VCS part:

The launch of Atari VCS pre-orders on the Indiegogo website, which started on May 30, 2018, meets a great success. To date, more than 10,750 units have been pre-ordered for a total amount of more than US $ 2.8 million. AT E3, Atari will pursue the negotiation of strategic partnerships aim to offer a wide range of content available to Atari users VCS.

I found the beginning of the press release interesting (emph, mine):

Atari, one of the leading interactive entertainment producers and publishers most famous in the world, continues its development on the occasion of the Salon E3, more Big Video Game Room in the World, Los Angeles June 12-14 2018

• Like 1

On their investor's site, Atari finally put out a press release about e3. Here's the translated version.

Atari VCS part:

I found the beginning of the press release interesting (emph, mine):

And they even lied in their press release, because they haven't sold 10,750 units. That's merely how many backers they have, and several thousand of them only ordered a controller

I'm sorry for the question, I was traveling last 2 weeks, and there's (understandably) 10 thread pages of tacos- but did they actually show some working HW prototype now that the campaign is on?

Or is this still the same scam that's been going on for about a year now?

• Like 1

I don't understand. They raised ~ $3M. Presumably from our demographics. Why would some 20-yr kid without emotional senti(de)mental attachment to Atari splurge on this after all...

How could this happen in such scale?

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me to see the *day 1* wood grain be back if (and thats a big if) this thing makes it to retailers.

They made it a limited time only thing to get everyone to back it ASAP before it goes away, and to make people feel all warm and fuzzy that they're getting a limited edition model.

I remember day one Xbox one consoles were available like 2 years after it was released on Amazon and I remember seeing Walmart getting random shipments every now and then of them all the way into 2015 or so.

Edited by Pink

Using last known numbers. Total is probably a little higher, but still close:

1891 Woody sets

385 Onyx earlybird (318+67)

696 Onyx early set (637+59)

291 Onyx all in set (91+200)

3727 Woody all in set

1451 Secret Perk

8441 total console kits (10,837 total backers)

Previous numbers:

Secret Perk is still active, though they may turn it off when business starts.

Here's the Backerkit link.

I can only see "number left" for the early birds, so I'm assuming they started with the rounded-up numbers found here. Then I added the last known numbers before they changed Early Bird to limited quantities to get a rough, if slightly low, total for each. Let me know if I missed anything.

1801 Woody sets

360* Onyx earlybird (318+42)

682* Onyx early set (637+45)

214* Onyx all in set (91+123)

3448 Woody all in set

1451 Secret Perk

7956 total console kits (10,314 total backers)

1690 Woody sets

318 Onyx earlybird

637 Onyx early set

1 Onyx full price [REMOVED?]

1 Onyx full price set [REMOVED?]

91 Onyx all in set

2993 Woody all in set

1409 Special Perk

7138 total console kits (9242 total backers)

Backerkit tracking link.

An official explanation on Backerkit's prediction and trending models.

Speaking of Tempest 4000, I thought this was interesting. Llamasoft has not developed a Linux port and has no insider knowledge of the AtariBox whatsoever. Considering how outspoken their main developer has been about other issues (sample -- you can probably imagine much Italian waving of hands), I don't think this is the NDA telling them to shut up. He's also stated that it could just be running in WINE, as it's not a graphically intense game.

The Steam screens we've seen could be the "Big Picture" from a streaming device, not running natively.

The Tempest 4000 demo we've seen could have had something other than AtariBox driving it.

I'm guessing the backers don't know, or don't care.

BTW latest tally of systems only (count the controllers yourself if you care -- click on "back it" to get the current tally)

1549 Woody sets

244 Onyx earlybird

566 Onyx early set

1 Onyx full price

1 Onyx full price set

149 Onyx all in set

2594 Woody all in set

5104 total

edit: and maybe another 1400 "hidden perks?" Should they be included or counted separately?

• Like 3

Using last known numbers. Total is probably a little higher, but still close:

1891 Woody sets

385 Onyx earlybird (318+67)

696 Onyx early set (637+59)

291 Onyx all in set (91+200)

3727 Woody all in set

1451 Secret Perk

8441 total console kits (10,837 total backers)

1891 Woody sets + 3727 Woody all-in sets = 5618 Woodies (giggle)

8441 Total sets - 5618 Woody sets = 2823 other sets

So the super-rare, only available for the next nine minutes, never-to-be-offered-for-sale-again Woody sets have outsold the other sets by near enough to a 2:1 margin as doesn't matter, thus making the ultra-collectible Woody the most common model by quite a significant amount at this time.

Awesome!

• Like 6

I don't understand. They raised ~ $3M. Presumably from our demographics. Why would some 20-yr kid without emotional senti(de)mental attachment to Atari splurge on this after all...

I went through Backerkit a few days ago looking for a project with as big of a drop off in backers/money raised between day 1 and day 2 and couldn't even find one that came close to what the Atari VCS did. I heavily believe that they had a lot of fake backers on day 1 to generate hype.

• Like 4

I went through Backerkit a few days ago looking for a project with as big of a drop off in backers/money raised between day 1 and day 2 and couldn't even find one that came close to what the Atari VCS did. I heavily believe that they had a lot of fake backers on day 1 to generate hype.

It could also be collector speculators too jumping in and hoping for a rare collector item. Also something I noticed that backs up your point is the massive amount of anonymous contributors, because that's a lot higher than I have seen before as well.

Eight thousand chumps out of a country of 300 million (assuming overseas people don't want to overpay for customs and shipping since Atari doesn't seem to have worked out distribution yet)?

I would take this as proof that Atari can flex its brand to a certain extent, but no more.

• Like 2

Eight thousand chumps out of a country of 300 million (assuming overseas people don't want to overpay for customs and shipping since Atari doesn't seem to have worked out distribution yet)?

I would take this as proof that Atari can flex its brand to a certain extent, but no more.

What I want to know is how a French-owned company (like, oh, say, AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc.) can't figure out how to distribute products to customers in the EU from within the EU in the first place.

• Like 3

It might be mentioned before but for any future trolls that read this: I believe Atari SA (which is NOT the old ATARI) is pulling wool over everyone's eyes, especially backers, into thinking they ARE Atari-which they are not. They're the company formally known as Infogrames. When was the last time INFOGRAMES made a console besides that plastic box they're pushing now? I don't even think INFOGRAMES has had any experience in creating a console.

• Like 2