IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Between cart collecting, the Flashback devices, computers, emulation, etc.etc., I don't really see a place for the 'Ataribox' in my life. Best wishes, Ataribox; I'll leave you with this heartfelt sentiment ~

Ha, I currently don't have as much room as I'd like, so to the left of me (from top to bottom) I have a 130XE, 1040STE and Falcon. Kind of funny that the 130XE is like the grand daddy, but it's about 2/3 the size. But oh god, the STE is heavy (still has all of it's shielding, plus Exxos' wonderful PSU).

Ha, I currently don't have as much room as I'd like, so to the left of me (from top to bottom) I have a 130XE, 1040STE and Falcon. Kind of funny that the 130XE is like the grand daddy, but it's about 2/3 the size. But oh god, the STE is heavy (still has all of it's shielding, plus Exxos' wonderful PSU).

I know next to nothing about vintage/early computers, though I do have a boxed Commodore sitting around. When I was a kid they had Apple 2s in the schools and we had limited time with them. I remember Hard Hat Mack and a few others, but we had Atari (Coleco, Odyssey, Nintendo, Sega, Vectrex, etc.) at home and I didn't really care about fiddling with computers.

One of my sister's friends was really into it, though. Showing off his cool games and set-ups. They viewed this guy as a 'nerd', saying once that he was "kind of weird....Star Trek stuff in the basement....pots and pans covered in aluminum foil....etc..", heh.

Apparently this guy went on to a passion-based career and is doing well for himself, always great to hear.....

post-61233-0-25109600-1501118141_thumb.jpg

post-61233-0-10338900-1501118218_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Now there is a new console on Kickstarter claiming to be able to support all the emulators. I think this is what we all wish Ataribox would be. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1329525418/dreamcade-replay-one-console-to-rule-them-all

As far as the look of the console, I already like the look of that better than the Ataribox.

• Like 3

So, I've got to ask how that's legal. They show a picture of a guy holding a phone to take a picture of E.T. I mean we all know how criminal that is alone!

But to be able to take a picture of a cartridge and then have your machine download it? That means they have the roms somewhere for... well everything? And I'm sure the cost of trying to license that or even defend it in court as a company would be horrendous. We all enjoy our emulation and ROM collections, but we also know that trying to resell such things is kind of crossing a line, isn't it?

Anyhow, I can do everything they show there (except take a picture of a cartridge and have it added to my library) with my RetroPie. I think it cost me 80bucks with everything (including SD card of games, two snes like controllers, etc).

I know next to nothing about vintage/early computers, though I do have a boxed Commodore sitting around. When I was a kid they had Apple 2s in the schools and we had limited time with them. I remember Hard Hat Mack and a few others, but we had Atari (Coleco, Odyssey, Nintendo, Sega, Vectrex, etc.) at home and I didn't really care about fiddling with computers.

One of my sister's friends was really into it, though. Showing off his cool games and set-ups. They viewed this guy as a 'nerd', saying once that he was "kind of weird....Star Trek stuff in the basement....pots and pans covered in aluminum foil....etc..", heh.

Apparently this guy went on to a passion-based career and is doing well for himself, always great to hear.....

attachicon.gif435232009.JPG

attachicon.gifmaxresdefault (21).jpg

Is that supposed to be Captain Kirk or Elvis? :ponder: :lolblue:

• Like 1

So, I've got to ask how that's legal. They show a picture of a guy holding a phone to take a picture of E.T. I mean we all know how criminal that is alone!

But to be able to take a picture of a cartridge and then have your machine download it? That means they have the roms somewhere for... well everything? And I'm sure the cost of trying to license that or even defend it in court as a company would be horrendous. We all enjoy our emulation and ROM collections, but we also know that trying to resell such things is kind of crossing a line, isn't it?

Anyhow, I can do everything they show there (except take a picture of a cartridge and have it added to my library) with my RetroPie. I think it cost me 80bucks with everything (including SD card of games, two snes like controllers, etc).

They could download a ROM, or they could just link to something like this, which is just "borrowing" it since it's playing in a browser. I haven't seen them challenged for doing this yet.

https://archive.org/details/E.T._The_Extra-Terrestrial_1982_Atari_NTSC

They've been a little vague on when ROMs are downloaded and when they are streamed.

I do not know how Internet Archive decides to make something available for archive, or "stream only," like they did with E.T., but I assume some consideration is given to copyright since it's still standing.

It's more historically interesting than commercially viable, after all.

Agreed on being able to do this yourself with emulators, and probably a better job of it too, but a lot of people seem to like having it done for (to) them by someone else.

My wishlist for Ataribox:

Hardware side:

I would love some obscure hardware, with a complex architecture design like the old days, DSP, custom chips, 2-3 processors/co-processors, definitely with a cartridge port. Ethernet, usb, plenty of storage, proprietary expansion slot are also welcome. This way we will feel that we own a special system not a pc inside a(n) (atari)box with a logo on it.

Software side:

Number one: Atari to provide a complete, well documented and easy to use SDK for developers.

Number two: Atari to sign with 3rd party software houses and have some exclusives with strong reference to the past e.g. a new shiny pitfall game.

Number three: Support indie developers to bring their titles to the console.

Number four: Old games via emulation, but not only from 2600 but also from other atari consoles (including the most contemporary lynx and jaguar).

Hardware side:

I would love some obscure hardware, with a complex architecture design like the old days, DSP, custom chips, 2-3 processors/co-processors, definitely with a cartridge port. Ethernet, usb, plenty of storage, proprietary expansion slot are also welcome. This way we will feel that we own a special system not a pc inside a(n) (atari)box with a logo on it.

Software side:

Number one: Atari to provide a complete, well documented and easy to use SDK for developers.

Number two: Atari to sign with 3rd party software houses and have some exclusives with strong reference to the past e.g. a new shiny pitfall game.

Number four: Old games via emulation, but not only from 2600 but also from other atari consoles (including the most contemporary lynx and jaguar).

We can certainly dream about classic IP making a dramatic comeback like that (see Sega die-hards for another), but the business realities are far different. This is going to be a simple PC inside an Ataribox case with whatever value-adds they can cook up. The rebuilding has to start somewhere, and if there's ever to be the dream fulfilled that you laid out, then what the Ataribox will one day be (maybe late 2018? Early 2019? and dependent upon crowdfunding?) will need to be a success. Baby steps.

• Like 4

Hardware side:

Software side:

Never gonna happen. It would cost too much to build custom hardware when instead you can do SoC + Emulation. And you'd need two classes of hardware in there, the old "complex" stuff. And the modern-day hardware for emulating everything else.

And you'd have have an infrastructure, whether turn-key, or grown over time. If turnkey, then there's going to be an outlay of hundreds of millions. And if it's homegrown and evolved over time, it'll never happen either because people want things instantly.

Back in the 1970's there was time and space for these things to develop and be funded over long periods. But not so today.

Never gonna happen. It would cost too much to build custom hardware when instead you can do SoC + Emulation. And you'd need two classes of hardware in there, the old "complex" stuff. And the modern-day hardware for emulating everything else.

And you'd have have an infrastructure, whether turn-key, or grown over time. If turnkey, then there's going to be an outlay of hundreds of millions. And if it's homegrown and evolved over time, it'll never happen either because people want things instantly.

Back in the 1970's there was time and space for these things to develop and be funded over long periods. But not so today.

Well yeah that's my wishlist I know very well that it's not gonna happen. Requires a lot of RnD, something that Atari nowadays cannot afford.

However in my mind the unique hardware architecture is something that counts a lot and makes a system special. The other thing (which counts most) is of course the games library. That's why I dislike x86 modern consoles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel the same way about stuffing x86 hardware into a console. It just seems like low level of effort on the part of the console maker. Makes it seem like a generic computer, sure it makes emulation easier later on though!

Do any of us truly know how much money Atari has? I think we only know that they were bought out of bankruptcy in 2013, but we don't know by who, and we also know that the CEO didn't actually change. I don't think they're publicly traded, or someone would have posted their earnings.

However in my mind the unique hardware architecture is something that counts a lot and makes a system special. The other thing (which counts most) is of course the games library. That's why I dislike x86 modern consoles.

I don't quite understand this, so maybe you can explain more. If all that really matters is the games, and, just to use the current PS4 and Xbox One console as examples since they definitely have tons of games, it begs the question who really cares what the technology that powers said game is?

All I really care about is do I have a wide variety of games to choose from? - check - and the best way to play them (4K HDR and surround sound)? - check -. Seems like a win to me. I don't need a potentially flawed original architecture (see, I don't know, something like the Jaguar) to feel good about my game console, particularly since it might make game creation more of a challenge.

• Like 3