IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I can't imagine any corporation doing anything like that out of goodwill. And even there were fits and starts of an internal movement to do so, each company involved would have to agree to licensing. And then all it'll take Is one beancounter to get paranoid about possible lost profits on something that hasn't happened yet; to shut it all down. For no sensible reason..

It'll never happen.

I would hope for the 2600 emulation they will use Stella. With all respects to MAME/MESS, Stella is much better at 2600 emulation, and will likely stay that way for some time (I believe nobody is working on the 2600 emulation in MESS, while we are working on Stella daily).

Fully agreed.

I was speaking more in terms of arcade ROMs.

For consoles, they'd have to pull from a variety of emulators to get the best ones.

But they're busy with hats with speakers in them right now. So I don't expect anything other than, "You can install your own".

• Like 2

I can't imagine any corporation doing anything like that out of goodwill. And even there were fits and starts of an internal movement to do so, each company involved would have to agree to licensing. And then all it'll take Is one beancounter to get paranoid about possible lost profits on something that hasn't happened yet; to shut it all down. For no sensible reason..

It'll never happen.

Also fully agreed. They don't have the resources, clout, respect, leverage, inclination, vision, personnel, finances or connections necessary to even begin to do what I suggested.

But they do have AtariLife™.

• Like 2

In the transcript, he said:

20 years was 1997. JTS happened in 1996. Atari was already dead.

It was good interview. But what is going to make a lot of people buy an Ataribox? Linux? Nope. Atari brand recognition? Nope. Openness? Nope. It needs a killer app. Currently, it doesn't have one. (Currently, it doesn't actually exist.) The problem is, everything it can do, people can already do, and are doing. Want Linux? Build a cheap PC. Want emulation? Download MAME, Stella, or dozens of others. Want to play some old Atari games on your TV? Get a Flashback. Want indie games? Play them on your (insert any one of a number of gaming devices here). Want to stream video? You can do that on almost anything.

Nolan Bushnell likened selling game consoles to razors and razorblades. You don't make razors to sell razors. You make them to sell razorblades. You don't make consoles to sell consoles. You make them to sell games. That's where the profit margins are. Feargal stated in the interview that they won't be having the same sort of profit-generating ecosystem of the big three. Content is where the money is at. Atari doesn't have that. You can only resell Centipede to consumers so many times. They need more.

I don't think the Ataribox is completely lacking potential. But I do think - at best - it will go the way of the Ouya. UNLESS it can do something you can't get somewhere else.

Anyway, if they're paying attention, here's how Atari can get me to buy an Ataribox. Seriously.

1. Emulation, emulation, emulation. Create a version of MAME/MESS that will run (as) flawlessly (as possible) on it. Make it easy. Click, install, boom, done.
  2. Put a well-designed, easy-to-use UI on MAME, but one that still lets me access all of its features when needed. Make it so I can easily sort games however I want (genre, manufacturer, year, etc.).
  3. Here's the big one: a ROM store. Make it searchable, make it affordable, make it easy to use. Partner with Konami, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, whoever - and work to get ALL classic arcade and console ROMs into the hands of users at AFFORDABLE prices. I'm talking 99¢ to $1.99 for most games. $5.99 tops for games that were their own systems' killer apps (Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Ridge Racer, etc.). Offer package deals like 10 games for $9.99 - for good titles. For stuff like the bulk of Atari's own 2600 catalog, 20 games for $2.99. Here's why: It's widely known that all ROMs are already out there. Realistically, those ROMs have little monetary value. But for people who want to own them, there are two things to consider: 1) a lot of these games are already out there, on multiple collections/formats/devices, so it doesn't make sense to charge a lot for what people can already buy, but 2) they can still have appeal, because it's not always practical or possible to track down arcade boards, cartridges or CD-ROMs for games that are rare or obscure. Even then - in the used market - the original companies make NOTHING. The original companies have already made their money off of those games. Development, manufacturing, marketing - those costs were recouped years, or in many cases, decades ago. This is more about legitimizing emulation, and getting these games legally back into the hands of the fans who built this entire industry. This is not about squeezing money out of them. This is about goodwill, and building up Atari's reputation (and those of other companies) as gamer-friendly, and being preservers and advocates for the legacy of classic gaming. This is Atari's chance to be the licensing mediator to the classic gaming world. It's a "thank-you" to fans. This is NOT giving away intellectual properties. This will NOT harm any of these companies' bottom line in any way, shape or form. Will it make them oodles of cash? Not directly. Not at those prices. But it will get (and this is the important part - so pay attention) all of those games into the hands of a lot of people, immeasurably improve the relationship between gamers and those companies, and get those original intellectual properties firmly back into the spotlight, so these companies can continue to make NEW games based on them, where they can rake in the big bucks. This is about licensing more than anything, and making a storefront that works. You're all about branding. Figure it out. Make it work.
  4. And sell it for $199.

It'll never happen.

Ah, when I posted that I couldn't remember if he had said 20 or 30 years, since that actually makes a difference, though I suppose even 30 years ago would have been Tramiel era rather than Bushnell, which is another decade on top.

As for would people buy this because it has Linux on it? YES! Huge yes. Because it's Open? Another HUGE YES! Now if they have a DRM free store like GoG! There are people that cream themselves over such a prospect. If they set up a store that allows downloading of whatever roms for whatever emulator (however they manage distribution licensing etc) and it's DRM free, you can bet they will have an audience (yes there is a tiny audience of people who want to only game on Linux and also refuse to buy things from Steam because it contains SOME DRM of one form or another.

There is also definitely a place for an open platform in the living room. If you pay enough attention there are projects hacking open source operating systems onto game consoles for many generations. I mean if the Atari Jaguar community wasn't already so small, and the hardware overly expensive, I bet somewhere someone has thought of putting Linux / BSD on it...

By the way, it's 'Killer App' is a miniature, standardized hardware set that sits in a small (I'm hoping quiet!) box by your TV. There has yet to be VERY little people that have attempted that, even fewer than what has succeeded. For example, the Ouya. Some reviews said that it failed because the controller was crap. But what I think it is... Android gaming sucks. It's terrible. Moving from a touch based gaming platform (terrible) and trying to port it into a game controller based gaming platform is NEVER going to work well. Especially when so many Android games simply don't have gamepad input controls, and will work funky when you attempt something like that.

Granted the same could be said for Steam / Big Picture Mode / Steam Controller and games that are keyboard / mouse oriented. Will you ever be able to play StarCraft with a gamepad? Probably not as fast and efficiently as some of the people who have mastered all the keyboard shortcuts and can flick their mouse around at really high DPI to move around the maps. FPS, I've come really close to being almost as good with the Steam Controller as I am with the mouse. But things like Civilization? Works magically with the SC. So it's kind of hit and miss with trying to force a game that isn't meant to run on a game pad to do so.

To your points.

1. Not sure how you could get MAME to run anymore flawlessly than you can already on Linux. For number 2+1, for it to work flawlessly, they'd just only have to include ROMs that work. MAME has a lot of beta support because the goal is to emulate the hardware, not necessarily the games.

2. MAME already comes with a nice UI that is easily used on Linux. Downside is you need some sort of keyboard input to use the search. This is where something like Steam BPM comes in, the keyboard for that is brilliant and the easiest I've seen on any console. Also there is ArcadeMAME ( http://www.advancemame.it/menu-snapshot) which is amazing for being able to select games from an arcade stick (it's main purpose). Getting controller based interfaces working for other emulators is a bit more of a challenge, a lot of them use GTK/Qt based interfaces. They would probably need a similar SDL based one like MAME does (by the way, I think MESS merged finally with MAME, so they share the same code base now.)

2. I said above somewhere that a ROM store would be awesome, if they could get licenses from Nintendo, Sega, and maybe even Sony and resell games (again if they are DRM there is a group that would love that). Hell, even get GoG to work with them!

3. Well of course this will never happen, they already said their price was 150-300 :P

I would hope for the 2600 emulation they will use Stella. With all respects to MAME/MESS, Stella is much better at 2600 emulation, and will likely stay that way for some time (I believe nobody is working on the 2600 emulation in MESS, while we are working on Stella daily).

Of course I am biased here :)

Haha, MAME/MESS (as pointed out above) is really about emulating CHIPS. That's why there are so many broken games. It's also why they refuse to add 3D acceleration to anything, so games like Cruisin' USA, Gauntlet Dark Legacy and others that used the 3Dfx Voodoo Glide API require massive amounts of CPU. I think 4 of my 5 last full computer upgrades were attempts to get these games working smoothly. The other one was for better VR!

• Like 1

Of course I am biased here :)

Stella is awesome. Been a while since I played anything other than Combat on it. Actually my favorite 2600 games of all time are Combat and Armored Ambush, which is VERY much like the long lost Combat II that I finally got to try. Weirdly the only other games I remember from the 2600 days is Space Invaders (pretty sure we played that for 20 hours straight when we first got our 2600) and Adventure, which I played a ton of. I know I had Swordquest: Fireworld, but was confused by wtf to do in it as a kid!

As for would people buy this because it has Linux on it? YES! Huge yes. Because it's Open? Another HUGE YES! Now if they have a DRM free store like GoG! There are people that cream themselves over such a prospect.

Linux? NO huge no, where is the year of the linux desktop, best chance it had was with ubuntu8 and a decrepid windows XP, what happend? a decade and less market share

Open? no another huge no, the vast majority of people dont give a single flying rats a$$ fk about open unless it means free (as in beer) software

If they set up a store that allows downloading of whatever roms for whatever emulator (however they manage distribution licensing etc) and it's DRM free, you can bet they will have an audience (yes there is a tiny audience of people who want to only game on Linux and also refuse to buy things from Steam because it contains SOME DRM of one form or another.

why? I can already download the entire retail library of 2600 roms for free without some shitbag "store" right here on atari age, nevermind pretty much the entire history of video games on archive.org, otherwise big AAA studio's are not going to give kickstarter joe DRM free software for their "store" when they already dont do it for sony, microsoft, and steam

There is also definitely a place for an open platform in the living room. If you pay enough attention there are projects hacking open source operating systems onto game consoles for many generations.

and they are niche hobby projects for the hard core nerds in an already niche nerd group

By the way, it's 'Killer App' is a miniature, standardized hardware set that sits in a small (I'm hoping quiet!) box by your TV. There has yet to be VERY little people that have attempted that, even fewer than what has succeeded.

It already exists in x64 compatible micro HTPC form factor, and are already for sale, and are already quite beefy, and already run whatever you want, why do you not see them at best buy or walmart? see one statement above

Granted the same could be said for Steam / Big Picture Mode / Steam Controller and games that are keyboard / mouse oriented. Will you ever be able to play StarCraft with a gamepad? Probably not as fast and efficiently as some of the people who have mastered all the keyboard shortcuts and can flick their mouse around at really high DPI to move around the maps

ya I get you there, what needs to happen is some one needs to invent wireless mouse and keyboard technology, or maybe intergrate a high DPI multipoint touchpad into a game controller ... oh wait

MAME already comes with a nice UI that is easily used on Linux. Downside is you need some sort of keyboard input to use the search.

holy fuckballs, how have I ever manage to use mame search without a keyboard for the last damn decade and a half! its solved

Getting controller based interfaces working for other emulators is a bit more of a challenge

retroarch didnt have a problem

if they could get licenses from Nintendo, Sega, and maybe even Sony and resell games

these clowns cant get enough capitol to 3d print a case that doesnt look like crap, and that's the easy part

3. Well of course this will never happen, they already said their price was 150-300

for about 150 more I can build a ryzen5 ps4 pro killer, with a controller

• Like 2

Linux? NO huge no, where is the year of the linux desktop, best chance it had was with ubuntu8 and a decrepid windows XP, what happend? a decade and less market share

Open? no another huge no, the vast majority of people dont give a single flying rats a$$ fk about open unless it means free (as in beer) software

why? I can already download the entire retail library of 2600 roms for free without some shitbag "store" right here on atari age, nevermind pretty much the entire history of video games on archive.org, otherwise big AAA studio's are not going to give kickstarter joe DRM free software for their "store" when they already dont do it for sony, microsoft, and steam

and they are niche hobby projects for the hard core nerds in an already niche nerd group

It already exists in x64 compatible micro HTPC form factor, and are already for sale, and are already quite beefy, and already run whatever you want, why do you not see them at best buy or walmart? see one statement above

ya I get you there, what needs to happen is some one needs to invent wireless mouse and keyboard technology, or maybe intergrate a high DPI multipoint touchpad into a game controller ... oh wait

holy fuckballs, how have I ever manage to use mame search without a keyboard for the last damn decade and a half! its solved

retroarch didnt have a problem

these clowns cant get enough capitol to 3d print a case that doesnt look like crap, and that's the easy part

for about 150 more I can build a ryzen5 ps4 pro killer, with a controller

I don't know... over 3000 games on Steam.. I'd say Linux is a perfectly good desktop and game system. Clearly you have not used it in a long time. 'Year of the Linux Desktop' is of course just dumb to say anyhow, You'd have to first have the 'Year of no desktop Monopoly!' for what it's worth the desktop market share varies from month to month, but most sites report that Linux is 1-2%, mac is 2-3% and Windows is everything else... that looks small...but when you think about how many desktop systems there are out there, that's still a crap load of people using it all the time.

Beauty is, there IS a shit ton of free stuff for Linux. Tuxracer is pretty amazing, actually. etc.

Have you actually tried to buy any of those micro HTPC systems and game on them? They are terrible. Like real shit. They all have Intel graphics, which can barely play Minecraft.

Ha, I don't know about you, but having a keyboard on my lap is bullocks. Especially when trying to play a game.

I'd like to see a 400 ryzen5 PS4 Pro killer with a controller!

• Like 1

I glossed over this earlier. Some weird people like to pay for things. Maybe they're guilty they pirated the hell out of everything on the planet back when either they had no money or it was difficult to actually legitimately buy things. Either way, I know anyone can find anything. Besides, Atari's own store isn't going to be about AAA stuff anyhow. But on the other hand.. YES some AAA studios already do output stuff through GoG DRM free. So not sure what you're on about. Of course the main 'AAA' publishers already have their own digital store (Ubisoft, Origin, etc.) Honestly surprised Activision doesn't have one yet, but then again Blizzard doesn't sell through any digital stores.

In the transcript, he said:

20 years was 1997. JTS happened in 1996. Atari was already dead.

It was good interview. But what is going to make a lot of people buy an Ataribox? Linux? Nope. Atari brand recognition? Nope. Openness? Nope. It needs a killer app. Currently, it doesn't have one. (Currently, it doesn't actually exist.) The problem is, everything it can do, people can already do, and are doing. Want Linux? Build a cheap PC. Want emulation? Download MAME, Stella, or dozens of others. Want to play some old Atari games on your TV? Get a Flashback. Want indie games? Play them on your (insert any one of a number of gaming devices here). Want to stream video? You can do that on almost anything.

Nolan Bushnell likened selling game consoles to razors and razorblades. You don't make razors to sell razors. You make them to sell razorblades. You don't make consoles to sell consoles. You make them to sell games. That's where the profit margins are. Feargal stated in the interview that they won't be having the same sort of profit-generating ecosystem of the big three. Content is where the money is at. Atari doesn't have that. You can only resell Centipede to consumers so many times. They need more.

I don't think the Ataribox is completely lacking potential. But I do think - at best - it will go the way of the Ouya. UNLESS it can do something you can't get somewhere else.

Anyway, if they're paying attention, here's how Atari can get me to buy an Ataribox. Seriously.

1. Emulation, emulation, emulation. Create a version of MAME/MESS that will run (as) flawlessly (as possible) on it. Make it easy. Click, install, boom, done.
  2. Put a well-designed, easy-to-use UI on MAME, but one that still lets me access all of its features when needed. Make it so I can easily sort games however I want (genre, manufacturer, year, etc.).
  3. Here's the big one: a ROM store. Make it searchable, make it affordable, make it easy to use. Partner with Konami, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, whoever - and work to get ALL classic arcade and console ROMs into the hands of users at AFFORDABLE prices. I'm talking 99¢ to $1.99 for most games. $5.99 tops for games that were their own systems' killer apps (Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Ridge Racer, etc.). Offer package deals like 10 games for $9.99 - for good titles. For stuff like the bulk of Atari's own 2600 catalog, 20 games for $2.99. Here's why: It's widely known that all ROMs are already out there. Realistically, those ROMs have little monetary value. But for people who want to own them, there are two things to consider: 1) a lot of these games are already out there, on multiple collections/formats/devices, so it doesn't make sense to charge a lot for what people can already buy, but 2) they can still have appeal, because it's not always practical or possible to track down arcade boards, cartridges or CD-ROMs for games that are rare or obscure. Even then - in the used market - the original companies make NOTHING. The original companies have already made their money off of those games. Development, manufacturing, marketing - those costs were recouped years, or in many cases, decades ago. This is more about legitimizing emulation, and getting these games legally back into the hands of the fans who built this entire industry. This is not about squeezing money out of them. This is about goodwill, and building up Atari's reputation (and those of other companies) as gamer-friendly, and being preservers and advocates for the legacy of classic gaming. This is Atari's chance to be the licensing mediator to the classic gaming world. It's a "thank-you" to fans. This is NOT giving away intellectual properties. This will NOT harm any of these companies' bottom line in any way, shape or form. Will it make them oodles of cash? Not directly. Not at those prices. But it will get (and this is the important part - so pay attention) all of those games into the hands of a lot of people, immeasurably improve the relationship between gamers and those companies, and get those original intellectual properties firmly back into the spotlight, so these companies can continue to make NEW games based on them, where they can rake in the big bucks. This is about licensing more than anything, and making a storefront that works. You're all about branding. Figure it out. Make it work.
  4. And sell it for $199.

It'll never happen.

Lots of good points. I hadn't thought about #3 very much. I think that is a really good idea. Additionally, I agree whole-hardheartedly with point #1. This think better be a emulation powerhouse with Atari legacy ROMs with appropriate emulators already pre-installed in addition to having other emulators pre-installed for further gaming expansion. But, like you said, those things will probably never happen. However, the potential and ability is there for the taking, if they do things the right way.

• Like 1

At this point, I can't totally disagree with you. While it remains to be seen what exactly the Ataribox will and won't be, it doesn't look too good. Still, I remain hopeful that they can deliver a worthwhile product. I just not going to hold my breath on that.

It takes a certain level of expertise to properly implement emulation. I don't believe they have that. They don't even understand their market.

The Skarp Laser Razor celebrates its two year crowdfunding anniversary on Oct 26th. Indiegogo USD raised: $507,810. Number of futuristic razors in backers hands: 0. The original Kickstarter project raised a whopping $4,005,111 before being canceled by Kickstarter for not having a tangible product.

It takes a certain level of expertise to properly implement emulation. I don't believe they have that. They don't even understand their market.

The beauty/danger of crowdfunding is the suggestion that if people throw enough money at the project, then it can be built. Want fantastic emulation? Give us money and we'll hire the experts. Atari probably has a better chance than the aforementioned Laser Razor, simply because they'd rely on outside experts for a product that's probably not too difficult. But there seems to be a lot of wishcasting going on, and just like previous console crowdfunding projects: A lot is currently left to our imagination.

• Like 4

The funny thing I noticed... in that interview he claims there are people that have been with Atari since the beginning. Considering I am pretty sure all of them were let go during, or shortly after the JTS merger... Is there seriously anyone left from before that? Or it'd be more amazing if there were like one soul who'd been there since the Bushnell years...

Well they brought Bushnell himself back once or twice as a board member, are they counting that?

• Like 1

The beauty/danger of crowdfunding is the suggestion that if people throw enough money at the project, then it can be built. Want fantastic emulation? Give us money and we'll hire the experts

I once ran a cost-estimate analysis program on the Stella codebase using a COCOMO model (Wikipedia if you've never heard of the term, but basically it estimates the cost of a project based on lines of code and equivalent person-years to implement). I forget the person-years, but it came back with something like 1.5 million dollars to build this project from scratch, if you had to hire software developers of sufficient experience at the going rates. And this was years ago; I suspect due to inflation the cost are higher now.

My point being that this is only one part of what they'd need to do (one system only). Realistically speaking, no company could ever afford to develop, from scratch, all the emulators that they'd need for such a project. Or maybe they could come up with the money, but the time to market and expense would never be made back: not in a year, not in 10 years. That's why it's almost always better to (properly) license from the existing projects instead.

EDIT: Long story short, question anyone who attempts to build such a product. If they say they can (legally) build an emulation station from scratch for less than 5 million dollars, run (don't walk) away from the project.

• Like 10

I once ran a cost-estimate analysis program on the Stella codebase using a COCOMO model (Wikipedia if you've never heard of the term, but basically it estimates the cost of a project based on lines of code and equivalent person-years to implement). I forget the person-years, but it came back with something like 1.5 million dollars to build this project from scratch, if you had to hire software developers of sufficient experience at the going rates. And this was years ago; I suspect due to inflation the cost are higher now.

My point being that this is only one part of what they'd need to do (one system only). Realistically speaking, no company could ever afford to develop, from scratch, all the emulators that they'd need for such a project. Or maybe they could come up with the money, but the time to market and expense would never be made back: not in a year, not in 10 years. That's why it's almost always better to (properly) license from the existing projects instead.

EDIT: Long story short, question anyone who attempts to build such a product. If they say they can (legally) build an emulation station from scratch for less than 5 million dollars, run (don't walk) away from the project.

While I am in agreement with you on all of the above, there is a corollary to this that I feel needs to be mentioned:

The cost to wrap a frontend around an existing emulator (or even just re-skin a themeable frontend) is considerably less than developing emulators from scratch.

If I were Atariboxcorp, Inc. (or, really, anyone else looking to build and market a hardware device in a similar space), this is the route I'd be taking - dump development money into UI and UX as well as content delivery, and use as much in the way of off-the-shelf software as possible.

In theory, this should reduce development costs by speeding development times: focus can be placed into a single large project (off-the-shelf app integration with the UI) with many subprojects (making the UI function with those apps) which are overall guided by a focus on consistent UX. The development burden of having to write multiple pieces of software has, in effect, been reduced to a single integration project. That's not say that projects like this aren't complex, but rather that for a small company attempting to compete in a fairly ferocious part of the market this approach would have some definite benefits.

Having said that, though, money, talent, and time are still necessary for any project of this sort to be carried through to completion. We know that Atariboxcorp, Inc. doesn't have any money; if it did, it wouldn't be crowdfunding its platform. As for talent, well... You get what you pay for (and can afford).

• Like 1

My biggest problem with this project is Mr. F-Mac himself. Everything he touches has to revolve around Minecraft, Terraria or Atari. Preferably all 3 at the same time.

Would not be surprised if he first wanted to call it MinecraftBox (MineCrate huhuh) or Terrariabox before being turned down and the last hope he had was Atari.

• Like 6

Their webpage has apparently been updated with some new pics and some discount offers on their crowdfunding launch.

Look closely at the photo on the bottom. It is some dude sitting in his living room, electric guitar etc in the corner. He plays terraria on his AtariBox and the controller is of course conveniently blocked by some big pixels... Im stumped by the fact he isnt wearing a speakerhat.

Would crop a picture and put here if i wasnt on my crap phone writing this and cant be bothered to figure out how.